Sterling cheque

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Sadie

Sterling cheque

Post by Sadie »

I have a sterling cheque which I need to put into my BoC account
Does anyone know what charges they’ll be, and how long it takes clear?
Thanks
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
dodo

Re: Sterling cheque

Post by dodo »

Cant help with that but if you still have a uk bank account you can pay a cheque into it via their bank app( most banks) to a certain amount if that helps.
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

I banked a Sterling cheque at the Alpha bank, they posted the cheque to the bank in the UK and asked them to transfer the money by BAC's back to Cyprus, the UK bank charged £60, sent the monies in Euros at a very bad rate so I lost about 10% of the value and then to top it all Alpha bank charged me 1% for doing it.
I would definitely ask at the bank how much but if you have a UK bank post it to them.
Good luck.
chatsworth

Post by chatsworth »

If it is not issued by a UK bank it takes 21 days and I think they charge €5. If it is a UK bank, no charge and credited to your account straight away. This is after much gnashing of teeth and running to the manager's office a couple of times and signing copious sheets of paper.
Good luck.
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

Just a matter of interest, I’m with Santander in UK and use a family members address for correspondence etc.
Has anyone successfully changed their address of a uk bank to here?
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

My HSBC account is registered to me in Cyprus.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Our Nationwide account is registered to our Cyprus address. But I would keep the UK address if you can
Trev..
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

trevnhil wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:44 am Our Nationwide account is registered to our Cyprus address. But I would keep the UK address if you can
It’s proving very difficult to have pensions sent to our uk bank account as I have no proof of residency there, think long term it will be best to change the address to here.
I don’t know how scammers manage to get access to people’s money as I can’t get access to my own 🤬
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

We are so glad we kept our UK bank accounts.

Before we left we changed the addresses to a member of our family.
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

Banking apps are great for depositing cheques, but there is a maximum value.

Halifax and Starling are £500
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

merchant_banker wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:49 am We are so glad we kept our UK bank accounts.

Before we left we changed the addresses to a member of our family.
We did the same, but now I can’t prove I live at that address, mainly because I don’t
souniman

Post by souniman »

I have an account with Halifax with Cyprus address and have had this account for 17 years with no problem. My wife and I have three UK private pensions all registered with our Cyprus address and they are paid into the Halifax. Our UK state pension is paid to our Cyprus bank account. You can post your sterling cheque to you UK bank and then transfer the money to your Cyprus account but of course the UK bank will change for the transfer.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Changing your address to a family member, might cause problems when filling in a legal document, asking you, for your residence.
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

WHL wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:38 am Changing your address to a family member, might cause problems when filling in a legal document, asking you, for your residence.
My residence is Cyprus
WHL

Post by WHL »

Sadie wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:12 pm
WHL wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:38 am Changing your address to a family member, might cause problems when filling in a legal document, asking you, for your residence.
My residence is Cyprus
It was a general remark to people who reside in Cyprus, but give a relatives address in the UK, as if they live there, to fool the Banks, etc etc.
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

WHL wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:31 pm
My residence is Cyprus
It was a general remark to people who reside in Cyprus, but give a relatives address in the UK, as if they live there, to fool the Banks, etc etc.
I’m not trying to fool anyone, the UK bank acc has to remain open due to ongoing commitments.
The issue at the moment is a UK pension service initially insisted in paying my pension pot into a UK bank account only, but as I can’t provide proof of residency at the UK address, they have finally after months & months agreed the only was is to pay it into my Cypriot bank account, for which I have lots of proof and evidence as I live here and not trying to fool any agencies or officialdom.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Sadie wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:30 pm

My residence is Cyprus
I’m not trying to fool anyone, the UK bank acc has to remain open due to ongoing commitments.
The issue at the moment is a UK pension service initially insisted in paying my pension pot into a UK bank account only, but as I can’t provide proof of residency at the UK address, they have finally after months & months agreed the only was is to pay it into my Cypriot bank account, for which I have lots of proof and evidence as I live here and not trying to fool any agencies or officialdom.
Sadie, I was not referring to you, I was talking generally, I apologies, if it came across differently.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Sadie wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:30 pm

My residence is Cyprus
Sadie, I was not referring to you, I was talking generally, I apologies, if it came across differently.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Would it not be possible to have the cheque paid into your UK account, then withdraw the cash at an ATM ?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
souniman

Post by souniman »

you have not said who you bank with in the UK but you can certainly open an account with Santander this link will give you all the information.
https://www.santanderinternational.co.u ... t-account/