Question on car tax

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Lazydaze52

Question on car tax

Post by Lazydaze52 »

A friend of a friend has a car and apartment here but is not living here permanently as yet and does not have MEU1. He is coming over for a few weeks next month when he will renew his road tax but has heard that if he doesn’t have residency status it will be necessary to have a visa in order to tax his car. I’ve had a quick search online and can’t see anything referring to this so am assuming it is not true. Can anyone clarify this please?
Beechwood

Re: Question on car tax

Post by Beechwood »

I do not live in Cyprus permanently and do not have a MEU1. I renewed my car tax in February this year online via JCCsmart without a problem
Lazydaze52

Post by Lazydaze52 »

Thank you, I’ll pass that on to him
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

I once had to tax my car at the Ministry of Transport and they would not do it, I visited 3 times and they insisted I had to be a resident of Cyprus to own a car in Cyprus, I had to pay the Cypriot guy on the corner opposite Papantonio in Paphos, he had no problem.
I have owned a car in Cyprus since 1992, used to tax the car at the bank and now do it on-line but do make sure I tax it in time as I do not want a repeat of that fiasco. When I bought my currant car I asked the garage if I needed to live in Cyprus and they said definitely not.
Good luck.
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

glang3000 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:47 pm I once had to tax my car at the Ministry of Transport and they would not do it, I visited 3 times and they insisted I had to be a resident of Cyprus to own a car in Cyprus, I had to pay the Cypriot guy on the corner opposite Papantonio in Paphos, he had no problem.
He has a problem now - they have demolished his shop.

Seriously, I would think JCC would be the way to go I can't remember them wanting an address.
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Maybe you could also re tax your car at say a Bank of Cyprus branch? Although I have resident status they never ask me for my MEU form. The road transport office staff aren’t particularly helpful.

Dee
Lazydaze52

Post by Lazydaze52 »

Thanks for all the advice. I don’t know the guy personally but they haven’t been able to get over since either pre-pandemic or Brexit and are worried they might get caught out by any recent changes. I’ve given them the link to Cyprus Driving as well.
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

He has a problem now - they have demolished his shop.

No they haven't. Wrong corner! Tony's Services is still alive and kicking. I went in there on Friday.