Chicken in short supply in UK… along with other goods..

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Jimgward

Chicken in short supply in UK… along with other goods..

Post by Jimgward »

Well, 50 Nando’s stores had to close this week, no chicken. Costco sold out. Most supermarkets struggling to have much.

Add in shortages of tomato juice, fruit and veg and more….

People getting very worried again.
Yioula

Re: Chicken in short supply in UK… along with other goods..

Post by Yioula »

If you buy local support local there’s hardly a problem wherever you live
sued51

Post by sued51 »

I was in Costco Trafford on Wednesday and bought chicken - the fridges were full, also been in a supermarket in the UK almost every day for past 10 days and not seen any sign of shortage of anything- sure it’ll be different next time I go to Paphos M&S, it’s looked like a disaster area since January
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I’m sure loads of places are ok. But when Nando’s close 50 restaurants there’s something badly wrong
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

A friend of mine in the UK who,s family,s manufacturing business has been established over fifty years says he has never been as busy.His phone never stops ringing with order enquiries.
After massive advertising he can not get enough labour ( pays over the minimum wage ).There is also a shortage of matierials to complete his manufacturing.
I said to him,,but it says in the media there is a lot of unemployment in the UK.His reply " from the horses mouth,that is absolute codswallop anyone who wants a job can get one,makes my b****y blood boil " :(
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Chaddy wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:16 am A friend of mine in the UK who,s family,s manufacturing business has been established over fifty years says he has never been as busy.His phone never stops ringing with order enquiries.
After massive advertising he can not get enough labour ( pays over the minimum wage ).There is also a shortage of matierials to complete his manufacturing.
I said to him,,but it says in the media there is a lot of unemployment in the UK.His reply " from the horses mouth,that is absolute codswallop anyone who wants a job can get one,makes my b****y blood boil " :(
Where does it say in the media that there is a lot of unemployment in the UK?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Dominic wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:12 am
Chaddy wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:16 am A friend of mine in the UK who,s family,s manufacturing business has been established over fifty years says he has never been as busy.His phone never stops ringing with order enquiries.
I throw away my old newspapers and can,t remember which news channel i saw it on but will post the next time i see it.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Chaddy wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:21 am
I throw away my old newspapers and can,t remember which news channel i saw it on but will post the next time i see it.
Oh google ..unemployment in the UK....check BBC news unemploynent in the UK.....( highest for 16 to 25 year olds in 5 years )....I can see why friends "blood is boiling"
WHL

Post by WHL »

Was listening to a guy representing the Lorry owners association on BBC radio the other morning, and he was saying trying to find lorry drivers especially HGV group one drivers, is a nightmare since Brexit, on average they are having to pay 10% more in wages, and some firms are even offering drivers a £5,000 loyalty bonus for staying with them for three months, great for the lorry drivers, but at the end of the day, it will be the consumer who will pay more at the till, Brexit the gift that keeps giving.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

When I was in the supply chain industry in the UK from 1994 to 2000, it was always difficult to find LGV-1 drivers with suitable levels of experience, for example we required drivers to have held an LGV 1 licence for a minimum of 2 years and have no more than 3 points on their licence and never having had any Drink or Drug related bans. I had 145 drivers (all LGV1) at one distribution centre and whilst we offered very good terms and conditions, it was always tough to maintain our minimum level for 7 day a week deliveries. Thursdays/Fridays and Weekends would often see us employing up to 90 agency drivers per day to fill gaps and meet the surges in delivery requirements caused by product promotions, weather and surges in orders pre-public holidays.
Nothing new and this was pre-Brexit, it has always been a difficult trade to recruit into.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Chaddy wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:35 am
Chaddy wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:21 am

Oh google ..unemployment in the UK....check BBC news unemploynent in the UK.....( highest for 16 to 25 year olds in 5 years )....I can see why friends "blood is boiling"
https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/re ... s/sn05871/

"530,000 young people aged 16-24 were unemployed in April-June 2021, a decrease of 13,000 from the previous quarter and a decrease of 27,000 from the year before. By historical standards, unemployment levels for young people remain low."
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Good news. It will hopefully have an effect on the growing obesity problem in the UK.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Diocletian wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:27 am Good news. It will hopefully have an effect on the growing obesity problem in the UK.
No it won't.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Dominic yes,as you say there are over half a million young people unemployed.For goodness sake WHY when there are so many jobs available. :o ..I have my own theories.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Surely the UK has to relent on the working permit levels for foreign workers. Currently set at £25,500 I think. So Non-Clinical staff in hospitals and social care, agriculture workers and much more are excluded.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jimgward wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:24 pm Surely the UK has to relent on the working permit levels for foreign workers. Currently set at £25,500 I think. So Non-Clinical staff in hospitals and social care, agriculture workers and much more are excluded.
Cut your nose off to spite your face, and all that jazz, comes to mind.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I'm not worried at all, our supermarkets are well stocked, in spite of Covid 'pings' reducing the workforce across the UK.

That said, if you reside in Cyprus, why would a shortage of chicken in the UK concern you ?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Lucky Lady

Post by Lucky Lady »

Firefly, I'm not certain if you live in the UK or Cyprus. I do wonder if these headlines are media created. Yes, maybe Nando's are running short of chicken, is it the end of the world?? When I left the UK there wasn't Nando's in my local town so I have never tried it, but I am sure people will not starve!
I totally agree about living in Cyprus - the shortage of chicken in the UK does not affect me one bit. When I came here I did not expect to get British frozen food - we just eat fresh locally produced food. It might be a good idea for the people in the UK to do the same.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Firefly wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:14 pm I'm not worried at all, our supermarkets are well stocked, in spite of Covid 'pings' reducing the workforce across the UK.

That said, if you reside in Cyprus, why would a shortage of chicken in the UK concern you ?
If that's your argument, why should what happens in Cyprus concern you as a UK resident?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Nando's make great chicken. I know that much. Their Piri Piri sauce is tops. The first time I discovered a Nando's I was in heaven.