Chicken in short supply in UK… along with other goods..

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Re: Chicken in short supply in UK… along with other goods..

Post by WHL »

Uncle D wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:55 am
Chaddy wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:32 pm
Uncle D wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:35 am Supermarket shelves go empty and every industry that relied on foreign workers continues to struggle to operate, the Brexiteer government has doubled down on maintaining an anti-immigration stance post Brexit. There have been calls for temporary visas for about 10,000 drivers, which would only make a dent in the shortage problem, but even this has been rejected by Boris Johnson's government.
They blame the Covid virus not brexit, I think its due to both
Again Uncle D,my friend in the UK who does not employ foreign workers says that a big part of the problem he has getting workers is that youngsters these days want to work with their fingers,not their muscles.( half a million 16 to 24 year old unemployed ) :(
The OP is mainly about supply.
Apart from having to be a car licence holder, you need to be 18 to take a HGV test, that cuts the half a million down by quite a bit. Even so do we want young, inexperienced drivers probably fatigued with the long hours to be on the roads driving huge lorries?
Was listening to BBC yesterday, and they were saying another problem is Insurance company's would not insure inexperienced HGV drivers, so if hundreds passed their tests today, they cant start driving due to not being able to get insured?
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Brexshit at its finest.

So much for those oven ready deals. Looks like Boris Johnson shoved 'em in the oven with the chicken...
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I read this morning it costs about £7,000 to train an HGV Class1 driver, not cheap.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Dee

I shop in Hereford or Ledbury, and can find everything I need, maybe I'm just lucky.

How do you know that the size of lorries is a cause of concern to the police ? I have seen no mention of that.

It is obvious that, as usual, Brexit is to blame for everything by some. As for shortages of goods in shops, we know that many staff in every kind of employment are being 'pinged' for Covid, but why mention that, when good old Brexit can be trotted out again.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Again Uncle D,my friend in the UK who does not employ foreign workers says that a big part of the problem he has getting workers is that youngsters these days want to work with their fingers,not their muscles.( half a million 16 to 24 year old unemployed ) :(
What do you mean by that?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Firefly wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:45 pm Dee

I shop in Hereford or Ledbury, and can find everything I need, maybe I'm just lucky.

How do you know that the size of lorries is a cause of concern to the police ? I have seen no mention of that.

It is obvious that, as usual, Brexit is to blame for everything by some. As for shortages of goods in shops, we know that many staff in every kind of employment are being 'pinged' for Covid, but why mention that, when good old Brexit can be trotted out again.

Jackie
I think many have said it's a combination of Covid and Brexit - which couldn't have happened at a worse time in the past 70 years.

Brexit is what's affecting most staffing shortages and the worst has still to come, when the NHS is back to full-throttle and we see the shortages of ancillary staff
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

JimGW

You may believe that most staff shortages are caused by Brexit, I do not.

A friend who works in one of the supermarkets told me that a few weeks ago, a massive thirty three staff members were off because they had been pinged, the result of this is obvious.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Dominic wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:07 pm
What do you mean by that?
Simply,foreign workers just do not apply for the work for one reason or another.( maybe its the geographical situation where his factory is situated ) I think he has enquired in the past about employing foreigners ( hearing about their strong work ethic ) but has not had much success.I suppose brexit has not helped this
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Ah ok. I thought you were saying he didn't like foreigners.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Okay, about 60 posts on chicken and drivers in short supply. As I write, I don't know how many people have been killed at Kabul airport. This happened and was reported on the mass media a couple of hours ago but, do we give a damn? Of course not. Chicken shortages are of prime importance while the massacre of innocent people, possibly some of them members of the UK/US forces, is of little interest on any forum.

Have we got our thinking straight or is this simply FYJIAR?
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Dominic wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:20 pm Ah ok. I thought you were saying he didn't like foreigners.
Dominic he would employ the man on the moon if he would work :o Or maybe the man on the moon would only want to work with his fingers :?
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Devil wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:00 pm Okay, about 60 posts on chicken and drivers in short supply. As I write, I don't know how many people have been killed at Kabul airport. This happened and was reported on the mass media a couple of hours ago but, do we give a damn? Of course not. Chicken shortages are of prime importance while the massacre of innocent people, possibly some of them members of the UK/US forces, is of little interest on any forum.

I guess you could have started a new thread about it ?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Devil

You assume that everyone is aware of the explosion in Kabul. I was not until a few seconds ago, and to be fair, as to the 60 posts you refer to, how many were after the explosion ?

Of course it's a serious situation, but please be realistic.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Firefly wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:30 pm JimGW

You may believe that most staff shortages are caused by Brexit, I do not.

A friend who works in one of the supermarkets told me that a few weeks ago, a massive thirty three staff members were off because they had been pinged, the result of this is obvious.
Delivery Drivers do not have to "lockdown" if they're pinged and it's very difficult to get pinged on the M1 or M6. Everyone involved in transport is saying the problem is down to Brexit, Even the Brexit Press like the Mail are admitting there are shortages and are saying they are down to Brexit. Yes Covid is causing problems but most of the Process Workers and Drivers have returned home leaving a massive labour shortage.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:00 pm Okay, about 60 posts on chicken and drivers in short supply. As I write, I don't know how many people have been killed at Kabul airport. This happened and was reported on the mass media a couple of hours ago but, do we give a damn? Of course not. Chicken shortages are of prime importance while the massacre of innocent people, possibly some of them members of the UK/US forces, is of little interest on any forum.

Start another thread up, simple
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You've posted some guff in your time but this really takes the biscuit. If you want to talk about Afghanistan, start a thread on it. That's all you have to do. But no, instead you have to get on a supposed high horse and berate everybody else for not doing what you couldn't be arsed to do.

You hypocrite.

I wouldn't start a thread on Afghanistan because I wouldn't know what to say.
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Och HONESTLY, I truly believe Devil is in complete and utter shock, along with the rest of us about what's going on in Afghanistan.

He is big enough to stick up for himself. . . . . . But, I'm pretty sure he is only trying to put things into perspective.

We are ALL guilty of 'sounding off' about things which are close to our hearts.

Maggie B

PS I don't know what FYJIAR means. 🤔
Last edited by Maggie B on Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Actually Devil, yes - we damn well do!
And I've slated one particular MP not too far from me for his comments on the whole situation regarding the NOWZAD Rescue Mission which appears to have gone tits up today due to his belittling and dismissive statements. The trucks were targetted following the suicide bomb.
Last I saw about an hour or so ago was the numbers of dead are above 2 figures, it makes no difference their nationalities - people have died.

However, the Chicken Run saga started several days before today's sudden turn of events.....
"Have Camera, Will Travel"