HI All

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Tony54

HI All

Post by Tony54 »

Hello to you all.
I am at the age when, i would like to think about having a smaller place at home and a small place around Paphos.The weather is beginning to take its toll.

I am a complete novice so any advice and information would be great.

Thankyou to you all.

Tony
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: HI All

Post by Dominic »

Hi Tony, first things first, where abouts is "home"?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Tony54

Post by Tony54 »

Hi
Home is in Leicestershire...... a somewhat dull day.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Certainly one of the plus point of Cyrus is the weather... Short Winters and then lots of sunshine. It can get uncomfortably hot in the middle of Summer though.

Trev..
Trev..
Tony54

Post by Tony54 »

My idea could involve downsizing my present house,and then having a property in Paphos also.Allowing me to be at one or the other.I am not sure about the areas or what is actually involved.I would like to think i would have between £40-£50 Thousand.Would this be feasible or am i way off the mark?

Tony
Robert

Post by Robert »

Tony54 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:37 pm My idea could involve downsizing my present house,and then having a property in Paphos also.Allowing me to be at one or the other.I am not sure about the areas or what is actually involved.I would like to think i would have between £40-£50 Thousand.Would this be feasible or am i way off the mark?

Tony
Hi Tony

Why don't you just do a web search and see what takes your fancy as a starting point? The Cyprus equivalent to Rightmove seems to be Zyprus (www.zyprus.com). The site has a feature which allows you to draw the area you're interested in then you get a few filters also. Drawing around the Paphos region and limiting to EUR60k shows 50 results.

My plan is to not purchase before/upon arrival but instead rent for a minimum of 6 months. That should hopefully give us some time to learn the areas, learn where our hobbies are and understand where our friends are. You might consider something similar.

Full disclosure:
- No affiliation with Zyprus, just somebody who's looking forward to moving to Cyprus and buying a home soon after.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Hi Tony

Ditto Robert's advice. I would rent for 12 months so you can experience a complete annual picture I.e. weather, amenities, local feel re openings/winter closures of restaurants etc in particular areas. Then you can make a more informed decision of where you want to buy. Definitely downsize and not give up a UK home as you never know if you may need to return. If you buy in a good rental area, this would also help if you needed to return and couldn't sell straight away.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Have you been to Cyprus/Paphos before, you don't actually say? If you have then how many times & how long each time? If not what makes you think Cyprus/Paphos is for you apart from the weather being crap in the UK?

To be honest you've not given the forum a lot to go on! Cyprus is a great place to live but it depends on your expectations & circumstances! The former would benefit from Lofos-Jan's advice & rent for a period of time to see if this is really what you want, the latter we don't know other than you think you have £40-50,000 available!

Shane
WHL

Post by WHL »

After about three months the novelty wears off and you start to see the Good the Bad and the Ugly, everyone's circumstances are different ....so what works for me might be terrible for you etc....only advice rent....and if you want correct information/advice go to the citizens office and hear it from the horses mouth, you ask ten people the same question you will get ten different answers....good luck for the future.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Rent first of all and see how it feels once the "holiday" mode has worn off..... We lived in Cyprus for 12yrs (just returned to UK at the end of April 2016) and after the first 3yrs of renting, we decided we weren't going to put our hard earned cash into a property in Cyprus.

It was a good decision for us as we needed to return to UK due to family illness and needed the capital we had in the bank to buy a place in UK. Had we purchased a property we would have been hard pushed to sell it quickly enough to get back "home". Sadly, my father passed away 6 months after we returned but we have no plans now to return to live in Cyprus.

Many people find out the place they thought was perfect for them doesn't feel that way after the glow has worn off.... so don't jump in with both feet unless you can afford somewhere on your own bit of land where absolutely nobody can build around you. Take your time, rent first to get the real feel of where you are.

We must have chosen well as we stayed in the same rental property from March 2004 to April 2016 :-)

However, given all the turmoil being caused by Brexit just now I would be very loathe to consider buying a property or putting permanent roots down anywhere in the EU until you know what your rights will be....
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

All good advice given and I would certainly agree with renting first but beware that when you have owned your home for many years then renting can take some getting used to! Your idea of what are priorities may differ from the Landlords and because you may be used to certain things you can often find yourself paying out( pressure shower and aircon in the lounge were all things that we felt necessary) and ended up paying a share of the cost.Having said that we have rented in Cyprus and now here in the UK which has enabled us to live in better property than we could have afforded to buy.
William Morris

Post by William Morris »

Hi Tony,

I would advice the rental option also.

How old are you? Are you of an age where buying is worth while?

I would psddle before swimming. Vast difference between Winter and Summer. You need to experience some of the downs as well as the ups.

Come for 3 months in the Winter then 3 months in the Summer. Take a long term holiday let to begin. Then do some touring around different areas. You may end up fancying the East side more, who knows.
J B

Post by J B »

Just wondering if it would may be best to rent a 'furnished holiday property' for a few months at a time.

I'm sure there are plenty on Holiday Lettings / Owners Direct etc that would be delighted to get a long let.
J B
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

J B wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:47 am Just wondering if it would may be best to rent a 'furnished holiday property' for a few months at a time.

I'm sure there are plenty on Holiday Lettings / Owners Direct etc that would be delighted to get a long let.
The problem there is that HOLIDAY rentals are very expensive. Long term rentals are very reasonable. :D
All things are possible
JimX

Post by JimX »

Tony hello.

I put my roots down here when Cyprus was just that, no talk then of going in or going out of the union, medicals were covered because Cyprus has and still has a reciprocal agreement with the UK that remains the same today, it was no more of an upheaval to move out here then as it remains to this day, wars have come and gone so has financial matters, even with this awful UK decision to leave the EU I feel all will end well, as for returning to the UK wild horses and all that. :roll:

Fear not although change may come along as it always has, the sun will shine and you will not be freezing your whatsit's off either.

Regards property advice go and ask Nigel Howarth about this subject he is an expert.

http://www.easterncyprus.com/viewforum.php?f=35
Jim.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hudswell wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:12 pm Ditto 😀
Did you end up in Secret Valley as well Hudswell?

We're still very much on the fence. We loved Secret Valley and on that side of town you do seem to get more for your money than between Paphos and Coral Bay/Peyia. That said we still also like Tala through to Peyia but definitely have more exploring to do.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:29 pm Robert, there are many things we like about SV. It's a quiet residential area; no inconsiderate neighbours making lots of noise. Just 3-4 mins off the main highway. Supermarkets in Pissouri and Mandria, 10 minutes either way. Facilities at Aphrodite Hills 5-10 mins away. Paphos only 20 mins away, Limassol 35-40 mins. Close to the sea, yet elevated, so you have nice sea views. It does us 8-) Most weeks I travel hundreds of kms all over Cyprus...and have yet to find anywhere I would prefer to live.

But there are many other delightful locations in and around Paphos. You can choose traditional villages out in the sticks, bigger villages closer to town, or some of the more populated areas like G'pou, Konia, Peyia, Kissonerga, where there are more facilities to hand. One thing's for sure, the sunhine and blue skies are never far away...and Cyprus is a safe and happy environment where people just get on, regardless of nationality. We love it as much now as when we first moved here in 2005.
Great post HIC. Thanks for sharing. What you describe about SV is exactly why we are so attracted to it (except the noisy neighbours bit which you could get anywhere I would think). About the only negative, which is important to us, is the lack of buses into places like the harbour. We love being able to jump on the bus, have a fabulous meal, a few drinks and then jump on the bus 'home'. Being north of the harbour makes that pretty easy. I guess for that you're taking a taxi to Aphrodite Hills or Kouklia?
J B

Post by J B »

Lincoln wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:54 pm The problem there is that HOLIDAY rentals are very expensive. Long term rentals are very reasonable. :D
Indeed, but Holiday homes come fully furnished and a 'struggling' holiday home owner may do a good deal on a longer let if he has no bookings ... perhaps.
J B
Robert

Post by Robert »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:58 pm Hi Robert. I think you misunderstand; I said that we don't have noisy and inconsiderate neighbours.

In fact there is a regular bus service from SV to the harbour, but I couldn't give you times as we don't use the buses. Nearby Kouklia has 13 restaurants and tavernas listed on Trip Advisor, including some VERY good ones. One night a week during the summer (I think Thursday) they have Cypriot music and dancing in the village square. You need to pre-book with the taverna of choice beforehand though, as these are very popular mid season. Thanassis taverna is great for Cypriot music and dancing on Friday and Saturday night. We just drive there for meals, but a taxi would not be expensive. There is a taxi operator in both SV and Kouklia.
Agree with your first point. Sorry poor communication on my behalf. I'm much better with numbers than language :D

Thanks for adding some more detail. I might have missed one but the only bus I'm aware of is the 631 which is infrequent compared with those from Coral Bay et al plus it doesn't look to stop that close to where I'd likely be living. I've been through Kouklia during the day-time but unfortunately am yet to stop for lunch/dinner. Great to hear there's some recommended restaurants and interesting stuff going on after hours. It paints SV in an even better light than I already had it.
Tony54

Post by Tony54 »

Can i just say.............. a great big thank you to you all,for taking the time to advice me.I will use my wet dreary bank holiday Monday to read all the valuable information.Today much to my better halves disgust............. SPORT :D