UK CSPs to bring Roaming Charges back in. Vodafone and EE

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Jimgward

UK CSPs to bring Roaming Charges back in. Vodafone and EE

Post by Jimgward »

Vodafone today announced the resumption of roaming charges in the EU from 2022 - EE announced previously.

Brexit, the gift that keeps on giving....
Cappielow1

Re: UK CSPs to bring Roaming Charges back in. Vodafone and EE

Post by Cappielow1 »

I'm also with Vodafone, my contract was just about up, got onto them and renewed for another two years which means I avoid the roaming charges for that period, and saved £7/£8 per month and got 10gb of free data.

Happy Days.

Maybe worth getting onto them.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Applies to new or upgraded contracts from 11 August.
If your existing contract includes free roaming, nothing changes - or that's my understanding of what I read on their website today.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Varky

Post by Varky »

So more people will be using WhatsApp or Viber. There are ways around the problem.
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

PhotoLady wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:52 am Applies to new or upgraded contracts from 11 August.
If your existing contract includes free roaming, nothing changes - or that's my understanding of what I read on their website today.
Yeah, that's my reading of it as well, timing was just right for me as I was coming to the end of my contract at the end of this week.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Why not use Cyprus providers like Epic. They have roaming capability.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I understand the use of Skype, Viber and WhatsApp are only free mobile to mobile and you require an Internet connection to make a call. To call landlines, a subsciber has to pay a subscription, a bit like Pay As You Go and this also requires an Internet connection which millions of tourists don't have when they go on holiday.
Just the thin end of the wedge.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

BOB Peyia wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:30 am
Jim B wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:51 pm Getting back to the original post; Aguila wrote that Vodaphone's statement about not reintroducing Roaming Charges was made 18 months ago and the were entitled to change their mind; if the UK was still a member of the EU they wouldn't have been allowed to but that's by the by as the UK has left which allows all these companies to start charging what they like.
Jim B,

It took 10 years for all the EU countries to pass the act on the scrapping of roaming charges, which was 6 month after the Brexit vote. The actual implementation of the roaming act was in 2017 a year after Brexit.

BTW CYTA are no saints, especially when it comes to phoning non EU countries. Not forgetting they were one of the last to adhere to the roaming agreement. "It's was not cheap using a CYTA phone in the UK before the roaming agreement". Let's see how long it takes CYTA to jump on the band wagon again of roaming charges for the UK.
I don't think Cyta will be scrapping the ban on Roaming Charges any time soon. The Cypriot Government voted for the ban and will follow the EU mandate.
Cyprus dragged its feet with import duty on imported cars from the EU but had to toe the line on what they'd signed up to in the end. Now it's back to around 29% extra import costs on cars from the UK.
Did you notice Cyta's partner is Vodaphone.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Les Bean wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:20 pm I've recently changed my uk sim card from a payg to a £6 a month no contract with Smarty. Unlimited calls and texts whether in UK or EU and 4gb data
Where did you get this, please
WHL

Post by WHL »

Les Bean wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:21 pm
WHL wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:35 pm
Les Bean wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:20 pm I've recently changed my uk sim card from a payg to a £6 a month no contract with Smarty. Unlimited calls and texts whether in UK or EU and 4gb data
Where did you get this, please
On line, Google Smarty to see the packages, I don't think they post the sim card overseas so I used a friend in the UK to forward it. There is a possibility they will suss out down the line you're not uk based, but my payg with 3 I used for years with no query and this company is run by 3.No problem in activating the sim from here
Many many thanks
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I have washed this thread of any references to Brexit. Please post them in the politics section. The thread itself may have useful information for people concerned about tarifs.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

Just bought a new Sim only direct from O2. £10 per month, unlimited calls and text, and 20GB data - NO ROAMING CHARGES IN EU
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

merchant_banker wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:21 pm Just bought a new Sim only direct from O2. £10 per month, unlimited calls and text, and 20GB data - NO ROAMING CHARGES IN EU
I think you should read your contract again.
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

Jim B what is the point you are making?

"
We cover roaming in our Europe Zone as part of our phone tariffs. So your data (subject to a roaming limit), minutes and text allowances will work in our Europe Zone, just like they do at home.

If your UK monthly data allowance is over 25GB, you’ll have a Roaming Limit of 25GB when roaming in our Europe Zone. This means you can use up to 25GB of your allowance at no extra cost- we’ll text you if you’re getting close to the limit, and again if you reach it. You can still use data if you reach our Roaming Limit, but you’ll be charged at £3.50/GB.
"
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The point is there's a limit to the amount of Roaming a user is allowed depending on your contract which is not what your first post stated so your post does not cover the full picture.

https://www.euronews.com/amp/2021/06/24 ... -in-the-eu

PS. The same article is in the Telegraph.