Pharmacies and PCR tests

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Mike1940

Pharmacies and PCR tests

Post by Mike1940 »

Is it possible now to get a PCR test 3 days before returning to UK from a Pharmacy or, do you have to organise it elsewhere and what is the likely payment going to be?
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Pharmacies and PCR tests

Post by Dominic »

You can get a list of approved test centres here:

https://www.paphoslife.com/directory/ca ... est-cyprus

The chemist antigen tests will be good provided they give you enough information in the results.

More info here:

https://www.paphoslife.com/news/covid-latest-2107
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Mike1940 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:35 pm Is it possible now to get a PCR test 3 days before returning to UK from a Pharmacy or, do you have to organise it elsewhere and what is the likely payment going to be?
I will email you.

Ian
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Mike1940 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:35 pm Is it possible now to get a PCR test 3 days before returning to UK from a Pharmacy or, do you have to organise it elsewhere and what is the likely payment going to be?
MediPalas lab, ca 50 meter downhill from where Costas Tyreshop was, issue within minutes after the test a detailed document and also it will appear on a SMS on your phone from Gov. (tel 26 955 355 - 10 Euro)

Max
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I'm not sure that you can get a PCR test result as quickly as that! Generally, PCR tests take up to 12-24hrs for a full,printed out result, which you will need if you are traveling by air. I booked mine for 72 hours before my departure, at a Lab, not a pharmacy. I used Pavlides. Which has branches in Paphos and also in Chloraka. I paid €50. In UK they are usually much more.
I believe that Pharmacies, as well as Labs are doing the Rapid Antigen Tests, which are much quicker to get a result. But are not the same as a PCR.
Dee
sued51

Post by sued51 »

Where do you get the information that you need a PCR test to travel by air?

A link further up this post to the UK government website says ‘a negative covid test’ subject to various specifications which includes lateral flow, antigen and LAMP tests, the requirements link from the Ryanair website goes to the same page and it has just been stated on BBC news that most Tui tourists use lateral flow tests which are perfectly OK.

We are due to fly to Stansted on Monday and will have tests at Pavlidou on Saturday but I fail to see the point of paying for a PCR test if a lateral flow one will suffice
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Yes sued51 there are many reports on Facebook from people who have recently flown to the UK and used the Rapid Antigen Test result.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

When the new regime was introduced, some of the airlines (surprise surprise) didn't read the guidelines properly, and were insisting on PCR, contrary to the UK Government's actual requirement. However, over the last couple of weeks, things have calmed down, and I haven't heard of anybody having problems with an antigen test recently. Just make sure it has the required information on it.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Dominic, you must be right.When I traveled with Ryanair on the 24th Jul, they were insisting om PCR tests for the flight, but also the UK were also wanting In my case then, 2 PCR tests after my arrival in the UK.
In the last fortnight, the rules have now changed. When the UK started to allow their people to go abroad for holidays, they must have changed their previous requirement for all travelers to the UK to have the cheaper cost of the Rapid Antigen test.
As the rules keep,changing concerning international travel, people must check their emails from which ever airline or travel company theyvare using! Also check the frequent emails from UK .Gov for their requirements for your date of travel.

Don't forget, you are flying during the Pandemic and things aren't as normal!

Dee
RLK

Post by RLK »

Entry to uk, GOV.UK

https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control

RAT is fine before leaving Cyprus as long as it complies to uk government requirements.

‘ You must make sure that the test provider you choose can meet the standards for pre-departure testing.

The test must meet performance standards of ≥97% specificity, ≥80% sensitivity at viral loads above 100,000 copies/ml.

This could include tests such as:

a nucleic acid test, including a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test or derivative technologies, including loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) tests
an antigen test, such as a test from a lateral flow device’

Ruth🙂
paulaf

Post by paulaf »

There are a few reports on trip advisor of people being denied boarding after taking a rapid test bought from Collinson as recommend by Easyjet and they were told to get one from a pharmacy instead. Bit annoying when ground staff make up their own rules about what the UK government will accept. Maybe their father/brother/cousin owns a local pharmacy?
Can anyone recommend a pharmacy in the Polis area that will do a rapid test that meets UK requirements, rather than pay over the odds for PCR when its not required. Used rapid tests recently coming back from Spain and Greece with no issues. Thanks.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

From all this chat I wonder how many people are checking their airlines instructions about what is acceptable BOTH in Cyprus and in Immigration at your arrival airport in the UK? Plus also cross checking with the latest emails coming from UK.GOV Travel and Health?
That's what I did anyway. People do get stopped from boarding their aircraft if their full documentation isn't complete. If you check what details are required to be shown on your vaccination certificate then you will know when you see your test neg certificate, if everything is correct, including your full name as shown on your passport. You should also make sure that you have your receipts for all tests taken or booked and paid for after your arrival in the UK. With you at the airport. Plus your completed Travel Locator form, which they will study. Other docs may be asked for. Such as your tests.
Hope this helps some one!
Dee
paulaf

Post by paulaf »

Yes I've checked all the websites before travelling this year, quite straight forward after a couple of times, but it doesn't seem to have helped the people who got turned away at Paphos airport after buying tests recommended by Eaysjet when the ground staff incorrectly decided they weren't acceptable, there's not much you can do in that situation if they won't listen to reason or read the Uk.gov website.

Can anyone recommend a pharmacy in the Polis area that will do a rapid test that meets UK requirements, rather than pay over the odds for PCR when its not required. Used rapid tests recently coming back from Spain and Greece with no issues. Thanks.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Is there a Lab in Polis? If so you could contact them. If in doubt, unless you want to travel to Paphos, have a PCR test locally. Even if more expensive, af least you won't have problems when checking in for your flight....

Dee.
RLK

Post by RLK »

Paulaf, did you check your replies on TA. Did you find out if the two labs do RAT in the end?

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic ... trict.html
Paul

Post by Paul »

I went to my regular Pharmacy and asked about a PCR test to travel and was told to go to a lab for the test.
Which I have booked as I go to the UK on the 18th.
I am going to the Evangelismos For the test
paulaf

Post by paulaf »

RLK wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:00 am Paulaf, did you check your replies on TA. Did you find out if the two labs do RAT in the end?

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic ... trict.html
Yes I did check those 2 out and they only do PCR, one was Euro 50, so still trying to find one for Euro 10 each as its quite a saving over 4 people.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I believe that some Pharmacies do the Rapid Antigen Test those are the cheap ones, but you will need to check that the test they offer is to the spec detailed in the U.K.Gov website, also that they will give you a printed Test Neg.Certificate, with all the details which are required. Do you read the emails from the airline you booked with or check the UK.Gov travel advice emails? Even if you need to save money, you still need to comply with the regulations of the UK Govt! Otherwise you may be denied boarding the flight. Just trying to help.
Dee
dodo

Post by dodo »

Paulaf

Check out this one, covid 19 rapid test with approved certificate

Emmanouel Kallasides Pharmacy Polis. By Papantoniou supermarket supposedly
00357 26221877

I spotted it on Facebook
paulaf

Post by paulaf »