Woman charged for leaving dog on balcony during heatwave (Updated)

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Woman charged for leaving dog on balcony during heatwave (Updated)

Post by Paphos Life »

A woman who left her dog on the balcony without food or water during the heatwave was charged in writing and has temporarily lost custody of her pet, police said on Monday.Paphos police were tipped off that a dog had been left on an uncovered apartment balcony around 1pm on Sunday....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Kili01

Re: Woman charged for leaving dog on balcony during heatwave (Updated)

Post by Kili01 »

Good. I'm glad, its high time that dog owners were made to look after their pets properly. Too many dogs have been left on uncovered exposed places such as roofs and balconies. Often without water. So important, especially in hot and very hot conditions. Inhumane. I hope that owner has also been fined.

Dee
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Should be banned from having animals an apartment is not suitable for a Labrador 😡
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes,I agree. Labradors usually need more space than say a small dog. Also more exercise, so they're not really suitable for people who are out for long hours. As puppies they need proper obedience training and care. we kept dogs for about 30 years, but had a larger house then with plenty of space and a big garden. Not an apartment.

In summer their dense coats make them hot, so we tried to keep them in a cool shady place with a ceiling fan and with plenty of drinking water..

Dee
darrow

Post by darrow »

I saw this post on a social network site. The numbers for animal welfare were given. The poster said the dog was crying and panting heavily. They didn't know what to do, but I am glad action was taken. The owners flimsy excuse is unbelievable. Whether you are looking for :-)a better place to house your pet or not, you don't leave it without basic necessities.
cactus

Post by cactus »

I'm not sure that I agree that an apartment is an unsuitable home for a Labrador. It very much depends on the dog, the apartment and the owner. A loved and cared for large dog who is exercised regularly is far better off in an apartment than in an overcrowded shelter.
jeba

Post by jeba »

She could at least have a little paddling pool filled with water for doggie to help him cool down. Her thoughtlessness is infuriating.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Cactus, that is also true. A ground floor apartment with a patio and a covered area may be OK for an older dog, but most Lab puppies do need space to play in, even if they are walked and they often become destructive if left on their own , even with toys, water and so on.
As you say it depends on the owner and their experience and willingness to spend time with their young Lab.

Dee
cactus

Post by cactus »

I'm not very rich. I live in a semi detached town house with a little Granny flat around the back. I don't have access to a huge garden and a swimming pool I work for an animal charity and I do my best.. I've turned most of my house into a beautiful place for my rescue dogs. Play areas, their own little flat in which to sleep if I go out, Buckets of toys and training aids. Paddling pools and Flyball equipment. I have recently qualified as a trainer and behaviourist. It's difficult living here and not Being Rich. Anybody who is lucky enough to be able to bang on incessantly about their massive available space is welcome to discuss the use of it with me,. You won't though, will you?
cactus

Post by cactus »

God Almighty the amount of people who live bathed in privilege who tell me they would have a dog -but - you know ....We might want to go out, on Holiday, have friends round, go round the feckin' twist. Not to mention the HAIR, I deal with the aftermath of these feckin' eejits who are told that you can't have a dog n an apartment. I have also worked in a kill shelter.
Last edited by cactus on Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Sorry Cactus, I am lost in admiration for your efforts. I wasn't talking about selfless people like you, but about ordinary dog owners! If such a person can be found! I also no longer live in a reasonably large bungalow with a larger than average garden. After my husband died I moved to a similar type of house to yours, though mine is certainly not large enough to create a separate flat!
But I have had reasonable previous experience with dogs, Labradors. We had several of them during a 30 years span. Usually 2 at a time. I enjoyed working and training them both to show and for obedience tests and for agility. I miss them now, but am no longer fit enough to cope with young ones and have other interests.
Dee
cactus

Post by cactus »

No, I should apologise Kili01. I had just been discussing with a colleague yet another person who is returning to the UK and "can't" take their pet dog with them for some spurious reason or another. It was unforgivable to take it out on you or anyone else on the forum. I can't delete the post because you have replied to it - but I take it back. Perhaps the moderator could remove it?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Cactus. You can always 'Edit' your post at any time by clicking the edit button below it.
You can 'rub out' all that you have said and maybe just write 'edited'
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I can delete your posts Cactus, or you can edit them blank.

But please don’t.

Your posts are highlighting an important aspect of owning a dog. Your frustration is part of that message. And it is a good one.

I am sure Dee understands too.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

The question people should be discussing, is not this one woman, but the hundreds of others doing the exact same thing, and getting away with it
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, that's true, the big question of animal cruelty has been a problem to me since I first arrived in Cyprus and saw it with my own, shocked eyes., and must have been going on for decades. Its not always deliberate, as theres also an element of ignorance in the way some people treat animals. In some instances, education would help. Teach the children kindness and care when they are school age. Where some farmers are concerned is there any responsible party to promote animal welfare. Or is it left to the Govt vet?
One of my friends was a keen helper at Paws. But though she did her bit at the kennels and loved it, over a period of several years got increasingly unhappy about the terrible things she heard about and saw about appalling cruelty to to animals of all kinds. Eventually she returned to the UK completely disillusioned.
What Cyprus needs is something independent a bit like the RSPCA, which tries to educate owners, but also has inspectors who go out to check places where animals are kept, when complaints are received. The inspectors have the power to prosecute and remove animals when their dire situation requires this. Plus they can arrange prosecutions where necessary.
A branch was set up before the Chinese took over, in Hong Kong. In a few years this branch with their own vets, also had trained their local clinic staff. Animal welfare improved considerably. (don't know what has happened now.)
The point is could the Govt here be persuaded to help fund something like this in Cyprus?
The person who probably does the most for animals around Paphos area is Christine of Paphiakos. But she couldn't tackle the whole island, as thats a big task..

Dee
cactus

Post by cactus »

Hello Dee! I have, over the last few days, had the "pleasure" of discussing these issues with one of the newest recruits to the Government Vet Office who receives and investigates complaints about ill-treated animals. His usual job appears to be examining slaughterhouses and pounds to ensure that they operate within the law (just, I would imagine). I certainly got the idea that he felt this part of his job was somewhat pointless and beneath him, and that he didn't like English people or their attitude towards their animals. He cast his eye over my dogs too, and when I asked if he had caged hunting dogs he suddenly felt the need to trot off in a hurry. So you are right. An independent investigative committee is a very good thing. Now that we are in Europe (yes, I know, haha) surely this is possible. Maybe this is one of those projects I'll wish I never started ....
cactus

Post by cactus »

Incidentally Dominic, I'm a member of Mensa and often contribute to their Dog special Interest group. May I use some of the comments here (confidentially of course) in my article for the next magazine? I do feel that Mensans, in particular, have little idea of what is happening in countries like ours who struggle to embrace the concept of Europe and its laws, yet are possibly more likely to effect change. I intended to highlight certain charities that I think might benefit from publicity in this area and would welcome these and any contribution from any member.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Our Labrador lived with us in a space measuring 10m x 5.4m for nearly 5 years with an occasional walk on an extending lead should conditions permit and passed every veterinary inspection with flying colours.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

cactus wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:23 pm Incidentally Dominic, I'm a member of Mensa and often contribute to their Dog special Interest group. May I use some of the comments here (confidentially of course) in my article for the next magazine? I do feel that Mensans, in particular, have little idea of what is happening in countries like ours who struggle to embrace the concept of Europe and its laws, yet are possibly more likely to effect change. I intended to highlight certain charities that I think might benefit from publicity in this area and would welcome these and any contribution from any member.
Only just seen this. Yes, by all means go ahead.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.