Seafront Update

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Seafront Update

Post by Dominic »

In this film we check out the new viewing platform above the SODAP Beach Cafe in Paphos. We also drive down to the harbour, to see how the roadworks are progressing, before heading to the lovely St Nicholas Chapel.

For a map of the route:

https://www.paphoslife.com/film/seafront-update

For a list of hotels that are open in Paphos:

https://www.paphoslife.com/directory/ca ... vid-hotels
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
brengreen

Re: Seafront Update

Post by brengreen »

Great film. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to come back and drive it myself to see the changes that have happened in two years. Seven weeks🤞.
Funnily enough I was sorting out some boxes this morning and found photos I took when the seafront was updated and block paved.
By any chance does anyone know if the Veronica Hotel is open. Probably is if Russian tourists allowed in. Thanks.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

As Brengreen said I also look forward to returning & seeing the changes that has happened since we last visited. Sadly some of the tourist resorts in the UK look very run down but Paphos looks so attractive. Another great video & some good music
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

What is it they're doing to the bus station, is it an upgrade or are they going to use it for something else?

A friend told me, about 5 years ago, that the bus station was going to be dug up because they'd found more historical ruins.
But the big concrete pipes don't seem to fit with that.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Cappielow1 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:56 pm What is it they're doing to the bus station, is it an upgrade or are they going to use it for something else?

A friend told me, about 5 years ago, that the bus station was going to be dug up because they'd found more historical ruins.
Correct, more than 10 years ago they discovered plenty mosaics in the whole area between "Saranta Kolones" and the sea front. As there was no money for proper excavation they decided to just cover the mosaics and use the place for parking until funds are available.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saranta_Kolones
Max
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

Cheers
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Actually, a large part of the dug up,area, we were told by someone from the Antiquities Dept was land reclamation of what was in Roman times the harbour. Much more sheltered in strong winds than our current harbour. Which was why they allowed the area to be tarmaced. I saw the Deputy head of. Antiquities, an experienced Archaeologist, shortly before I
left Paphos. When I return will try to find out what the workers down on the former bus station site are doing.
Dee
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Dominic
I take it you know the man trying his hardest to be a Video Star next to Elean
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

71 Trans Am wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:05 pm Dominic
I take it you know the man trying his hardest to be a Video Star next to Elean
No I don't. I was going to mention him in the video actually, but I forgot. He worked at the restaurant I was passing at the time. Occasionally restaurant workers do engage with me while I am filming, but he went the extra mile!
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.