Miss England.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Miss England.

Post by WHL »

I live in Cyprus and people often say to me: “You miss England?”
I say: “No, I look nothing like her. She’s got long blonde hair and wears a sash.” :?
Kili01

Re: Miss England.

Post by Kili01 »

I am presently in the UK on holiday, though it feels more like a working holiday!
There are still many good things about the UK, but so much has changed there politically, as well as materially. The rise of the ethnic minorities, sometimes it fees as if white people, native Brits should be treated with as much respect as they are!

But nothing stays the same wherever you are! I plan to be back in Paphos again where I feel at home, next month.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:14 am I am presently in the UK on holiday, though it feels more like a working holiday!
There are still many good things about the UK, but so much has changed there politically, as well as materially. The rise of the ethnic minorities, sometimes it fees as if white people, native Brits should be treated with as much respect as they are!

But nothing stays the same wherever you are! I plan to be back in Paphos again where I feel at home, next month.

Dee
O dear, did you really just post that, when you talk about Native Brits, you know they were mostly immigrants dont you, Anglo saxons from present day Germany, Jutes from Denmark, Romans, Vikings etc etc, it seems those immigrants are Ok, Quote '' I plan to be back in Paphos again where I feel at home,'' its a good job Cypriots are more tolerant to immigrants? or you would be right in the poo :roll:
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

I have travelled for most of my life as an Army brat and as an immigrant resident in various States around the Near and Middle East. I first saw 'England' when I was 5 and it happened to be in the grip of a severe winter. Gosh it was cold and seemed very dowdy.

It has of course been an immigrant state since at least 43AD and a part of its modern charm is its ability to adapt to changing cultures and ethnicity. Do I miss it when I am away, no not really. Cyprus is where I was born and it is rightly the only place I know and feel as home.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Kili01 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:14 am I am presently in the UK on holiday, though it feels more like a working holiday!

Dee
One of the reasons for the rise in ethnic minorities is the decline in birth rate of indiginous whitey. And as indiginous whitey gets older then they are going to have to rely on those pesky foreigners to look after them in their old age.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I never missed UK during the 12yrs we lived in Cyprus and we didn't take our first visit back there to see my parents until 9yrs had passed.

It was only when we did that first trip and subsequent visits that we realised just how chatty and friendly shop and supermarket staff and checkout operators are.

We had become so used to the Cyprus way of the operators talking to each other as they worked side by side or yabbering into their phones, only to break the conversation when it was time to tell you the total or put their hand out for payment.

It came as a very pleasant change.

Since returning to UK permanently 5yrs ago, we don't miss Cyprus either, except for the warm weather but we have plans for that in the future. Our lifestyle here now carries on pretty much as when we left Cyprus.

We're not working for anyone except ourselves, we go off and do what we want when we want, although currently we're working around my mum's hospital appointments.

The only weird thing is we now live within a few steps from the sea whereas in Cyprus it was a 10 minute drive.

We miss the pre-prepared Tahini though. We never did get to grips with the paste mixes and tended to buy the one in the fridges by Ambrosia.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Photo Lady, have you tried a large branch of Waitrose? I was in the re vamped one in Cheltenham which is huge.I particularly noticed that in a chilled cabinet they had all the things that you would expect to find on your taverna table in Cyprus! Just add a Greek salad and some crusty fresh or lightly toasted bread.. I'll just make sure there is tahini, next time I go there. But I think that I saw a pretty good selection and it looked fresh.
Dee
'
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I am well aware that many Brits have foreign blood in their heritage. My father's family came from Schlegvig- Holstein some generations ago. Some European heritage is perhaps unsurprising, given numerous wars! When I say ethnics, I meant as opposed to coloured/ black. I try to avoid naming anyone as some people are very touchy! I am thinking of those who tore down our statues, even tried to topple the one of Winston Churchill.. and the terrorist or would be ones.
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

They were mostly left-wing indiginous whiteys though.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Quite a lot of blacks involved in Bristol.And what my family used to call 'yobs'. More recently called 'rent -a-mob.'

Dee
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Dee, if you could check that would be great!

I've no idea where the nearest Waitrose store is located, it's a place I've never shopped at.

The nearest biggest store, other than our usual Morrisons is a monster size Tesco near the end of the motorway on the outskirts of Blackpool some 12 miles away.

Even the Cypriot couple who run our favourite chippy in Blackpool, couldn't help with any info. Maybe I shall have to ask Maria if she can tell me the right measures of ingredients using the paste mix.

We're both missing the Tahini with our salad.
WHL

Post by WHL »

PhotoLady wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:45 am Dee, if you could check that would be great!

I've no idea where the nearest Waitrose store is located, it's a place I've never shopped at.

The nearest biggest store, other than our usual Morrisons is a monster size Tesco near the end of the motorway on the outskirts of Blackpool some 12 miles away.

Even the Cypriot couple who run our favourite chippy in Blackpool, couldn't help with any info. Maybe I shall have to ask Maria if she can tell me the right measures of ingredients using the paste mix.

We're both missing the Tahini with our salad.
Morrisons in London stock it, im sure if you asked them, they would get some in for you, but it is very easy to make,

PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

No, it's not easy to make - it takes lots of practice to get it to the right taste. Some of the paste is very thick and heavy and has a very different taste.

Whereas the one we liked straight from the fridges in Cyprus was always as we liked it.

Even in restaurants and tavernas, the taste was very different and our choice of places to eat was generally based on how much we liked their preparation of the Taxini.

We can find humous by the shed load, but there's no pre-prepared Tahini.
Last edited by PhotoLady on Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
WHL

Post by WHL »

PhotoLady wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:00 am No, it's not easy to make - it takes lots of practice to get it to the right taste. Some of the paste is very thick and heavy and has a very different taste.

Whereas the one we liked straight from the fridges in Cyprus was always as we liked it.

Even in restaurants and tavernas, the taste was very different and our choice of places to eat was generally based on how much we liked their preparation of the Taxini.

My wife has been making it for over thirty years, and watching her make it, even a kitchen virgin like me could make it , I thought I was helping you out by posting the video, obviously not, never mind :roll:
ast

Post by ast »

Waitrose do a fresh Tahini as I have seen it in the refrigerated section in the store near Hull, cant omment as to how good it is though but they do sell it. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I buy Tahini from Waitrose, I follow the recipe in 'The Taste Of Cyprus' cookery book, and it's yummy.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

There isn't a Waitrose store within 17 miles of where we live.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

PhotoLady wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:00 am No, it's not easy to make - it takes lots of practice to get it to the right taste. Some of the paste is very thick and heavy and has a very different taste.

I prefer my wife's home made food to any processed rubbish, but I am not a fussy eater :D
David
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Behave! It's a dip not a Sunday Roast 🙄

Almost everything we eat is fresh food, except the fresh chicken breast which we freeze as soon as we bring them home from the butcher's.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

How many of you tahini-purists use tea bags, rather than leaf tea? The envelope of the bags is generally a plasticised paper which has been treated with all sorts of chemicals as well as the plastic itself being over 10 letters long. Even the little bit of string has been bleached if it has not been made with poly chemicals. We endeavour to use loose tea but it no longer comes in leaves but dried out deep-freeze tea, yuck! Coffee is probably even more adulterated.