UK cases lowest for a month

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Sheer Khan

UK cases lowest for a month

Post by Sheer Khan »

The Daily Mail going on about the fact that cases in the UK were the lowest for a month, they will be if the authorities are testing half the numbers the were a month ago, but the Mail doesn’t mention that, 1st Aug 670,000 people were tested way down on the figure of 1,160,000 reported 2/3 weeks ago.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: UK cases lowest for a month

Post by Dominic »

the only important stat is how the hospitals are coping.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

In the UK they have about 6,000 people in hospital.The hospitals are OK, it seems. Except some have their ICU's clogged up with Covid cases. Which means that heart ops for example have to be delayed as such patients usually need icu treatment afterwards.
Tonights news said cases have gone up slightly, after having been stable for about a week. Problem is that comparatively few people seem to be waring masks the way we do in Cyprus. There are a few wearing them in shops and supermarkets. They are mainly at least middle aged and older. Whereas young people seem to think its all over. Now people fully vaccinated can come here from most countries Green or Amber list, in Europe and also the USA without isolating, unless from a red list country. Just take a PCR test on the 2nd day. Probably most won't wear masks. I continue to wear mine.

Dee
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Mask wearing is no longer mandatory in the UK and it is down to personal preference. The Head of the NHS has said that 20% of those currently being treated in hospitals are aged between 18-34. This mirrors the stats that suggest that the age group most resistant to the vaccinations are the 30-39's.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

OK, so I was on Cambridge last week and pleasantly surprised that people wore masks in supermarkets, malls and transport. Almost everyone.

Travelled back and stopped at Wetherby services, about a third of people were not wearing masks, mainly younger people. I feel uncomfortable, had a pee and left.

Up in Scotland, mask wearing is still compulsory in public situations, like transports, shops etc. Everyone seems to comply.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I think that mask wearing should be mandatory in the UK too. As I said in my previous post, from observation, in Cheltenham it is the the people probably under 40, and particularly those probably under 30 years , plus those in their teens who don't seem to think that wearing of a mask is important or necessary. Though on the local bus nearly everyone wears one as masks are mandatory.
It seems that the UK Govt is in favour of 16-17 year olds being offered the jab with or without parental consent. While one of the Govt's scientists has been quoted as saying he thinks that children from 12-15 should also be vaccinated.. preferably before the schools re open, next month.
As usual where the pandemic is concerned Cyprus is ahead from what I have read about the vaccine being offered to all eligible children 12-17 years.

Dee
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Road Warrior wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:54 pm
Diocletian wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:51 am Mask wearing is no longer mandatory in the UK and it is down to personal preference. The Head of the NHS has said that 20% of those currently being treated in hospitals are aged between 18-34. This mirrors the stats that suggest that the age group most resistant to the vaccinations are the 30-39's.
The rules re. mask wearing are not uniform across the UK. Masks in Scotland are mandated by law indoors, shopping etc. and on public transport.
My bad. In Wales they are required in indoor spaces like shops and on public transport.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.