Alpha BANK

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Tremigirl

Alpha BANK

Post by Tremigirl »

Does the anyone know what Push notification is to pay tax on JCC
Galini

Re: Alpha BANK

Post by Galini »

It means that Alpha bank are now forcing us to use an App on a smartphone in order to make payments with your online banking.
They no longer text you a one time passcode to enter as the additional security measure but send an automatic code to the phone

Personally I cannot use a tiny phone for my online banking (and why should I be forced to have the App on my phone which can easily be lost or stolen) I will be going elsewhere and opening a new bank account as soon as possible so that I can use my laptop at home which has better security.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

It's highly likely that all banks will use this method eventually, so pointless moving banks
Last edited by Uncle D on Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

With the Bank of Cyprus, you have a choice to get a message to your phone or to your Email address
Trev..
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Uncle D wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:47 pm It's highly likely that all banks will use this method eventually, so pointless moving banks
More than likely. Driven, by compliance by EU Payment Services directives to improve security and reduce fraudulent payments / account theft from online accounts.

Ian
Galini

Post by Galini »

PolemIan wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:38 pm
Uncle D wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:47 pm It's highly likely that all banks will use this method eventually, so pointless moving banks
More than likely. Driven, by compliance by EU Payment Services directives to improve security and reduce fraudulent payments / account theft from online accounts.

Ian
Yes, that is the reason Alpha Bank are giving but I remain unconvinced that having everything on my phone is safer than on a device that does not leave my home.

What I find more unacceptable is that it should also be possible to send these push notifications to any device attached to the internet but when I asked Alpha Bank, they told have told me that they have No plans to release an App that can be used on a laptop.

Aside from the so-called security aspect, I know I am not the only person who has difficulty using a tiny phone keyboard and screen.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, I'm with the same bank as Galini, and have already told them that I have no intention of using that app. I either set up direct debits where appropriate, or pay by cheque or cash.
I don't use my mobile for this and anyway, mine is a smaller screen which makes its use more fiddly and in my case this is more likely to lead to possible mistakes.

Dee