Is Covid starting to come to an end?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Is Covid starting to come to an end?

Post by Devil »

There will always be optimists and pessimists. I would never rely on such a TLTR newspaper article
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

Matthews said. “There is no avoiding this virus now.” The aim, he said, is “a kind of truce. We will all catch it, several times. But because you’ve been vaccinated or you’ve had it before, you won’t die

Exactly this, in my opinion
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:34 pm Likelihood is we've had outbreaks like this throughout history.
I very much doubt whether you would find many scientists who would agree with this sentence or book a holiday, based on its philosophy. Each pandemic has had its own characteristics. I think "wait and see" would be likely to be a sensible attitude.
Mike1940

Post by Mike1940 »

The so called Spanish flu named after the King of Spain who died from it. It was started by an American serviceman in early 1918. He caught it from a chicken farm then was called up to bootcamp and passed it on to the other recruits who in turn carried it to the Western front where it spread amongst all soldiers on both sides. The war was over and it was carried home by the soldiers to where ever they came from in the world. It lasted until early 1921 when it died out naturally. It killed more people than the war did at that time and an estimated 50 to 100million people died worldwide. In those days there was nothing you could do to protect yourselves. Modern times fortunately we have the Vaccinations to protect us. There is a programme made by the BBC that was shown a couple of years ago before the current covid crisis began and it showed all the hospitals and people and some survivors who were children at the time and explained how it all began. Worth trying to look for it on You tube or BBC archives.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:23 am Nearly 29,000 people in England have tested positive after receiving two vaccines but the vast majority suffered only mild symptoms: just 1,656 of those who have been double-jabbed required a hospital visit, of whom only 843 required an overnight stay.
Would you have a link to this article?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:45 am
Devil wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:02 pmI think "wait and see" would be likely to be a sensible attitude.

The problem with waiting for positive omens is that that's when peeps en-masse will be buying air tickets. And history teaches us that at that time, airlines will hike prices 5 to 10-fold.

As with shares, the secret is to buy when everyone is selling and to sell when everyone else is buying. I've always been happy to take calculated risks and my belief is that by next year the world will be travelling with much greater ease than it is now. However, I won't be waiting until then to buy tickets.

But each of us can make our own evaluation, can't we ;)
Very few self-made millionaires, if any, got where they got without taking calculated risks.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.