Interesting programme on ITV tonight

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
DeeMac

Interesting programme on ITV tonight

Post by DeeMac »

The Tonight programme on Cyprus time 9.30 - "Brits Abroad, Is the Dream Over?" Worth a look.

Fiona Foster investigates what Brexit will mean for the million-plus Britons who live and work in the EU, who since the referendum have seen pensions paid in sterling drop in value, and are now worried about affordable healthcare
trevnhil

Re: Interesting programme on ITV tonight

Post by trevnhil »

But whatever Fiona Foster says, it will probably contain a lot of ' could's, if's, and maybe's '

Because as far as I know the terms have not been agreed yet..

Trev..
Trev..
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

Absolutely correct Trev - afraid we are going to get a lot of this for the next 2 years or more.

Rita
DeeMac

Post by DeeMac »

Ack, go on, have a look, you know you want to!!
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Any Brit abroad voting Brexit was a Turkey voting Xmas...

When it all goes awry for them, as it will, they'll still moan and blame the Remainers...
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Road Warrior wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:06 pm Furthermore, when it all goes South, May, Davis, Fox, Hammond and Johnson will simply say, this is what you voted for, climb in to their Jags and head off in to the sunset, cue music.
...and maybe move over to Cyprus into their luxury villas in Coral Bay (like Betty Boothroyd) or Sea Caves, accompanied by their A/C Jags (like Lord BrianO- who remembers him, I wonder?)

But I'll give it a watch, in just over an hour from now, certainly!

Cheers- AL ;)
Last edited by PaphosAL on Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone but not forgotten...
smudger

Post by smudger »

"Furthermore, when it all goes South, May, Davis, Fox, Hammond and Johnson will simply say, this is what you voted for, climb in to their Jags and head off in to the sunset, cue music."

Just like McDonnell, Watson, Eagle, Burnham, Abbott, Thornberry................
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Road Warrior wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:20 pm Luxury villa, in Cyprus, really, you're having a laugh bud 😂😂😂Concrete storage heaters
Yep- I know, but that's in Summer, so you switch the A/C on to consume not only huge amounts of electricity to cool your abode, but also cool (and heat) a one mile hemisphere above you..

Then the opposite in Winter, when you're trying to HEAT your uninsulated concrete shed, doh... Cheers- AL ;)
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Or you buy a timber framed building with plenty of Insulation inside it..

Trev..
Trev..
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

A very thought-provoking program, listening to British expats in Spain and France, mainly, and the contrasts between the attitudes of the Govs of those two neighbouring EU countries...

After being a member of the EU for over 40 years, I cannot help but feel that HMG invoking Article 50 on such a slender referendum majority last June will transpire into one of the largest political mistakes in the past couple of centuries...
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

I dd not find the programme particularly interesting. There was really no point to it as there are no answers yet. One couple with two dogs said they could never return to the UK because of the dogs - why?
smudger

Post by smudger »

So agree Poppy, didnt even bother watching the programme, but am heartily sick of those presuming to know what the results of Brexit MAY be. All presumption, supposition, what if, maybes. Negotiations haven't even started, do who the dickens knows???

Think that may be NOBODY!
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

I thought it was a good program , it showed people voicing their concerns like lots of us do . And yes there can be no answers for some time to come .
As pensioners the only thing that would affect us is the health care question . If the reciprocal agreement was done away with .
If the pension increases got done away with , we could live with , it's only ever a few quid a week .
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Road Warrior wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:25 pm Have lost track of the number of British Immigrants I've spoken to in Cyprus who are delighted with Brexit, the reason they gave me, too many immigrants in Britain, cue irony Klaxon.......
Yeah, it is as if they lack self awareness.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Alewfin

Post by Alewfin »

I thought it was a good program, given it was less than 30 minutes and, in so far as it covered the main concerns of British Expats.

I doubt it would attract any sympathy from Brits living in the UK but their big dollop of Brexit reality is yet to come and smack them in the face and when it does we will hear the howls of protest.

I felt sorry for those in Spain as that country only allows dual nationality with South American countries unlike Cyprus.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Road Warrior wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:25 pm Have lost track of the number of British Immigrants I've spoken to in Cyprus who are delighted with Brexit, the reason they gave me, too many immigrants in Britain, cue irony Klaxon.......
Well said that man, you couldn't make it up.. :lol: :lol:
WHL

Post by WHL »

Personally Im glad The UK is leaving the EU..because I believe this Euro project, is something Hitler wanted, and Merkel was building....and I hope it eventually fails and collapses.
as for how it will affect us expats living here, we will be worse off,in many ways ...but I can live with it , it will not be the end of the World, those of us saying nothing will change blah blah blah, are just sticking their heads in the sand, and will be in for a shock, just my opinion.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Of course Cypriots only see it from their point of view.They are beneficiaries of the EU funds whereas the UK has been a major contributor! They also depend on our Universities to educate their young so I would be surprised to hear any Cypriot support BREXIT. As JEBA said in another post Germany are certainly going to miss our contributions and is anybody really sure how the EU will manage their books post BREXIT but Oh hang on a minute I am led to believe that the EU cannot even produce any credible accounts!
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

The couple in Spain who had a parent living with them mentioned they where getting carer's allowance . Didn't Geoff say you can not get carer's allowance if you are out of the U.K.
Last edited by Mrblobby on Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Poppy wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:17 am Of course Cypriots only see it from their point of view.They are beneficiaries of the EU funds whereas the UK has been a major contributor! They also depend on our Universities to educate their young so I would be surprised to hear any Cypriot support BREXIT. As JEBA said in another post Germany are certainly going to miss our contributions and is anybody really sure how the EU will manage their books post BREXIT but Oh hang on a minute I am led to believe that the EU cannot even produce any credible accounts!
You really are misinformed....Cyprus pays more into the EU for each of its citizens then they receive back
:roll: Ive just googled and found this out ''Since its accession to the EU the country has paid to the European Union EUR 142 million over what it has received