Chaos with SafePass on first day of implementation

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Chaos with SafePass on first day of implementation

Post by memory man »

With Cyprus in deep red and the epidemiological situation bad, the government implemented new measures as of yesterday, aiming to force people who have not been vaccinated yet to do so.

Complete chaos prevailed with customers either refusing to show their SafePass or refusing to get vaccinated but insisting on entering in shops and restaurants.

The Health Minister and the union of restaurant owners discussed the issue yesterday and decided that the people in charge of establishments should ask people who do not have SafePass to leave.

The union requested that the SafePass be also implemented in other places as supermarkets and bakeries, something that the Minister will think about.

An indication of the chaos that prevailed yesterday, was the fact that some owners were informing their public that they would not proceed with checks, respecting their human rights, while others were cancelling events, noting that only people with SafePass would be able to enter their establishments.

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/chaos-w ... mentation/
PhotoLady

Re: Chaos with SafePass on first day of implementation

Post by PhotoLady »

"The Health Minister and the union of restaurant owners discussed the issue yesterday and decided that the people in charge of establishments should ask people who do not have SafePass to leave."

I'm awaiting the next news articles of vehicles and businesses where people have been refused entry or asked to leave and the accompanying targeted fire bombs. Not an unusual response for Cyprus when someone feels they have been wronged.

Nothing good can come from this decision.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
WHL

Post by WHL »

PhotoLady wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:54 am "The Health Minister and the union of restaurant owners discussed the issue yesterday and decided that the people in charge of establishments should ask people who do not have SafePass to leave."

I'm awaiting the next news articles of vehicles and businesses where people have been refused entry or asked to leave and the accompanying targeted fire bombs. Not an unusual response for Cyprus when someone feels they have been wronged.

Nothing good can come from this decision.
I think your being a bit dramatic and over the top on this, pipe bombs etc are used by people of the night to settle scores, mainly money's/debts not being paid etc, no one is going to the trouble, of putting a pipe bomb, because they ere refused a Big mac, or a mixed kebab, :lol: :lol: :lol:
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

No, this will be an incendiary decision from those who will not be having to deal with it on the front line.

There will be repercussions, I'm sure - unless it's handled correctly. Do you think they will put security on every shop, supermarket, restaurant etc?

It will be left for people, normal workers having to face off with customers they have been serving for years.

They stopped asking people to show reason as to why they cannot wear a facemask because of friction not long after the rule was brought in, here in UK.

And there was definitely friction.

Cyprus has a lot of hot heads. This we are very familiar with after owning a bar in an area noted for its mafiosa tactics.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
WHL

Post by WHL »

PhotoLady wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:24 am No, this will be an incendiary decision from those who will not be having to deal with it on the front line.

There will be repercussions, I'm sure - unless it's handled correctly. Do you think they will put security on every shop, supermarket, restaurant etc?

It will be left for people, normal workers having to face off with customers they have been serving for years.

They stopped asking people to show reason as to why they cannot wear a facemask because of friction not long after the rule was brought in, here in UK.

Cyprus has a lot of hot heads. This we are very familiar with after owning a bar in an area noted for its mafiosa tactics.
This is stuff straight out of a Daily Mail headline, there will not be any pipe bombs placed anywhere because someone has been refused a place at a restaurant, get a grip people :lol:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

PhotoLady wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:24 am No, this will be an incendiary decision from those who will not be having to deal with it on the front line.

Lay off the crack pipe.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

We were out for a coffee and asked if we had the safe pass. We had so OK two Russians came and sat and were asked they refused or said no. The waiter/owner asked them to leave which they did.
All things are possible
WHL

Post by WHL »

Lincoln wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:12 pm We were out for a coffee and asked if we had the safe pass. We had so OK two Russians came and sat and were asked they refused or said no. The waiter/owner asked them to leave which they did.
Good to hear, The Police are not messing about, and are dishing out fines to owners now.
https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/07/10/coro ... -safepass/
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I feel sorry for the staff who are getting abuse from customers. The bars etc don’t make the rules.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jimgym wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:03 pm I feel sorry for the staff who are getting abuse from customers. The bars etc don’t make the rules.
I haven't seen any abuse, have you?
Last edited by WHL on Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Just want to Sports direct, girl outside the store checking passes, I left there and went into a DIY shop, guy outside checking passes, went in turned a corner and two policemen asked to see my pass, very polite , wished me a good day, as I was leaving two ladies were being refused entry because they never had passes
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

WHL wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:06 pm
Jimgym wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:03 pm I feel sorry for the staff who are getting abuse from customers. The bars etc don’t make the rules.
I haven't seen any abuse, have you?
Thankfully not, but Ive read of it happening, and it’s such a shame.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

All this shows some of the differences in attitude and respect for the law here, as compared with the UK. Right now Cyprus Govt is trying to reduce the high number of cases of the virus, as soon as possible. The present situation will impact badly on the much longed for tourists arriving to fill beds in hotels which have been closed previously due to the virus which also coincided with winter months.
The Govt here decides on when and what measures are needed to avoid another lockdown
Unlike in the UK where measures seem to depend on Boris's off the cuff utterances.
The main problem here is seen by Govt as the number of anti vaxers and ditherers, who we are told amount to 90% of patients ,who need hospital treatment. With no protection against the virus and also the Delta varient there are a significant number who need intensive care and 'intubation'.
There are extra measures in force now to try to get them to accept vaccination. Especially hotel staff, and those in hospitality venues.
Dee
Discobolus

Post by Discobolus »

No checks at the Taverna we have gone to
WHL

Post by WHL »

Discobolus wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:21 pm No checks at the Taverna we have gone to
Well the owner of that place, must have more money then sense
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We were out this morning at the Pharmacy opposite Lidl and there were no checks there. We then went to the Garden of Eden supermarket, no checks there either.
Trev..
sued51

Post by sued51 »

We were out this morning at the Pharmacy opposite Lidl and there were no checks there. We then went to the Garden of Eden supermarket, no checks there either.

As I understand it safe passes are not needed for supermarkets and smaller shops, I have been in two restaurants and the Iasis Hospital since yesterday, all of which have asked for safe passes. Since the latest restrictions have been in force the queues for tests have been much longer so hopefully this is proof that people are at least complying with the rules, whether when you have to pay for a test this will change remains to be seen - hopefully the people being tested will get vaccinated instead which is the general idea
lotus

Post by lotus »

Personally I think passes should be shown at everywhere,what's the point if you don't have to in supermarkets and smaller shops? Supermarkets are usually a free for all in the aisles with very little social distancing,all it would take is one person on the entrance door checking passes,perhaps the inconvenience of people being refused entry might spur them on to get vaccinated
WHL

Post by WHL »

lotus wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:58 am Personally I think passes should be shown at everywhere,what's the point if you don't have to in supermarkets and smaller shops? Supermarkets are usually a free for all in the aisles with very little social distancing,all it would take is one person on the entrance door checking passes,perhaps the inconvenience of people being refused entry might spur them on to get vaccinated
I suppose the reason supermarkets are excluded is people need to eat,
lotus

Post by lotus »

All the more reason to have somebody at the door checking passes,tough sh.t if people can't get in to buy food,