Windows 11

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Aargent

Windows 11

Post by Aargent »

Have just had an email from MS telling me that Windows 11 is coming. I thought that Win 10 was going to be the last one, with updates. Best practice in the past seems to have been to skip every second OS from MS would that be the advice from the Tech people out there ?
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Windows 11

Post by Dominic »

Windows 10 will be retired in 2025. So from that point you won't have an option anyway.

Before that, I would take the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it approach". Unless you want native support for android apps and a centred task bar.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Well, I guess Win 11 is like coronavirus. Some people display no symptoms and get on with it. Some people get it but survive easily. However, I fear the death rate of computers which will not run win 11 out-of-the-box will be changed enormously high.

Can you imagine a large multinational with subsidiaries throughout the world being able to change from 10 to 11? No, I thought so.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Presumably it would get rolled out incrementally, like any other Windows upgrade. This isn't the first time an OS has been updated.

The big thing with multinationals tends to be the browser rather than the OS. That is where issues tend to arise, when they have software written to run using a particular browser version. That was one of the reasons IE6 hung on for so long.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.