Big fire in Kamares

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Big fire in Kamares

Post by Dominic »

Anybody know what is going on?
kamares.jpg
kamares.jpg (132.13 KiB) Viewed 2470 times
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgym

Re: Big fire in Kamares

Post by Jimgym »

It’s in Zelemenos area and is bad according to friends who are up there. Hopefully they’ll have it under control soon.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

It looks as if it may be in one of the ravines which divide Kamares. Problem is that there will be a lot of very dry scrub all around the village. Hope it doesn't affect any homes there. We used to live in Zelemenos, very near the ravine where perhaps the fire started.

Are there any fire engines or choppers with their water buckets helping?

Dee
Hollyswiss

Post by Hollyswiss »

Looks under control now, lots of helicopter drops and fire engines on site, areas still burning seem to be away from houses now
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Jimgym wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:51 pm It’s in Zelemenos area and is bad according to friends who are up there. Hopefully they’ll have it under control soon.
Jimgym,i,ve lived in the Paphos area for 18 years but where is Zelemenos :? I,ve googled of course but still non the wiser :(
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Zelemenos is a part of Kamares.
Louise :)
Mighty Sprite

Post by Mighty Sprite »

Helicopters started again at 05.30 this morning so fire still not completely under control.

Zelemenos is the hill to the West side of Kamares.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Yes, we had helicopters over us this since early morning. I've heard of one family who have sadly lost everything in the fire. Friends of mine were evacuated by the police but thankfully they and their home are ok. Scary how life can change so quickly.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The family that lost everything posted the following on Paphos Chat today:
_____

26/06/2021
This day will forever be etched in our memories. The day we lost every earthly possession we had.
We came to Cyprus, very bravely, to start a new home in a safer place for our two young daughters (2 and 5). We packed all of our belongings into a container because we knew we would need that sense of “home”, for us, but especially for our girls, seeing as family would be so far away.
Today, on the eve of my daughter’s 5th birthday, we had to flee our home in a matter of seconds. We watched helplessly as our home, and newfound sanctuary, burnt down. We lost all of our clothes and shoes. We lost our photographs, and sentimental mementos from home. I lost all of my jewellery, some of it passed down generations. My girls lost all of their toys. We lost our sense of comfort. We don’t have beds, furniture or even underwear. The life we once had, and all material ties to it, are no more. The humble beginnings of businesses we were starting, and the hard work we put into them, as we are not permitted to be employed here, are lost too.
But - we do have each other. We are safe, our lives were spared. We have our God and His promise to us. We have the kindest, most generous friends and neighbours, and are humbled by the community coming together to help us.
My husband and I want to thank everyone for everything you are doing to help us. We really ask you to pray for us. And to keep praying.

_____

We are hoping they set up a JustGiving page as lots of people have been asking about donations. I've also recommended them to get a list of what they need (correct shoe sizes etc) and we will promote it for them. Also RSS are collecting stuff in their shop in Peyia.