Time for another trip to immigration for expat Brits

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Time for another trip to immigration for expat Brits

Post by Paphos Life »

British expats registered or living permanently in Cyprus can now apply for a new plastic biometric card proving their residency status, but the question for many is why should they bother?...

Read the article and chat about it below...
trevnhil

Re: Time for another trip to immigration for expat Brits

Post by trevnhil »

I certainly don't see why I should bother. I have been twice to the immigration offices with people queuing down the stairs in a tobacco fille atmosphere.. If the premises were similar to the Citizens Centre then the experience would not be so daunting
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Thats the feeling that I had Trev, when I read that article in the Cyprus Sunday Mail. The silly fact is that even if you get one, it can't be used for ID purposes. Though ominously it will carry your finger prints...
And I agree with your impression of the Immigration Offices. Overcrowded, dark and depressing. Apart from anything a prolonged wait there could potentially expose you to any Covid variants...
Dee
daveg

Post by daveg »

Don't carry the MEU3 with me....never have. Never been asked for it
I'm sure not gonna waste a day of my life going to that awful place to get a card that isn't of any real use....and then pay €30 for the privilege.....
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

Don't think we will bother, but as a matter of interest it mentions card expiry date. Does anyone know how long it lasts before you would have to go back and renew it?
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Aargent wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:59 pm Don't think we will bother, but as a matter of interest it mentions card expiry date. Does anyone know how long it lasts before you would have to go back and renew it?
According to the article 'The new biometric cards UKW1 and UKW2 will be valid for five years and the UKW3 for 10 years'.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Whereas the 'old' MEU 3 had no expiry date ... The new card with its various short comings will also cost you €30. The new cards are being issued post the Brexit, ie from the 1st Jan 2021. But for those who have the old MEU forms they are still valid. The so called benefits of Brexit have not made life easier for British expats...

Dee
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

We shall not be purchasing this card. At €30.00 it is a rip off and last only 10 years. Our MEU-3 lasts forever. We have photo copies that we carry in the wallet/purse.
All things are possible
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Decisions, decisions, eh?

Trying to figure out which will expire first, the owner or the card 🤔🤞😉 a bit like when my next but one passport is due for renewal 🤐
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
WHL

Post by WHL »

PhotoLady wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:46 am Decisions, decisions, eh?

Trying to figure out which will expire first, the owner or the card 🤔🤞😉 a bit like when my next but one passport is due for renewal 🤐
It did cross my mind :?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Well, there is nothing to stop you trying to start a petition in the good old British manner to persuade the Cypriots to change their ways; I don't think you will get very far!
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

Now if they were to reclassify it as an ID card I might be interested though most places are happy to accept the one that I have although it is 3 years out of date.
Alastair

trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Alastair, I have a card that seems to be the same as the one you have.. As you say it is readily accepted even when out of date :-)
Trev..
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Lincoln wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:02 am We shall not be purchasing this card. At €30.00 it is a rip off and last only 10 years. Our MEU-3 lasts forever. We have photo copies that we carry in the wallet/purse.
I don’t believe it expires, the card expires just like a passport or driving licence. Our Cypriot ID’s expire every 10 years and we have to update the photo and address details. It’s a formality but you would have the cost of the new photocard.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
daveg

Post by daveg »

Ditto...my ID card expired 3 yrs ago.....still accepted, not gonna a jump through anymore hoops for this new card.....will wait for the next " must have " card.....as am sure it will come along........
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I have my old ID card and I still find it useful even though it expired several years ago.
If there is no rush to obtain the new card, it seems as if a lot of us will be doing nowt! (As they say in the north of the UK).Wonder why the powers that be wouldn't let this card be used for ID purposes.... yet our finger prints are required?

Dee
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

Lofos-Jan wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:11 pm
Lincoln wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:02 am We shall not be purchasing this card. At €30.00 it is a rip off and last only 10 years. Our MEU-3 lasts forever. We have photo copies that we carry in the wallet/purse.
I don’t believe it expires, the card expires just like a passport or driving licence. Our Cypriot ID’s expire every 10 years and we have to update the photo and address details. It’s a formality but you would have the cost of the new photocard.

Jeanne
It does expire and if you are not Cypriot you cannot renew it
Alastair

WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:50 pm I have my old ID card and I still find it useful even though it expired several years ago.
If there is no rush to obtain the new card, it seems as if a lot of us will be doing nowt! (As they say in the north of the UK).Wonder why the powers that be wouldn't let this card be used for ID purposes.... yet our finger prints are required?

Dee
Officially, your old ID card, is as useful as a chocolate teapot.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Well my chocolate teapot allows me to collect parcels from the post office and from DHL

And during the Covid Pandemic, my teapot had been inspected at roadblocks to and from Nicosia.
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:22 pm Well my chocolate teapot allows me to collect parcels from the post office and from DHL

And during the Covid Pandemic, my teapot had been inspected at roadblocks to and from Nicosia.
I did say official, try travelling with it, or using it for a legal, or a serious matter. all you have is a photo of yourself on an out of date card.