Operations on Gesy and costs

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
sueb

Operations on Gesy and costs

Post by sueb »

Please can any explain what the costs are for having a operation done on Gesy?

Is there a document that tells you of the costs?

Would like to hear from people who have had a operations in the last 3 months.

Many thanks in advance.
Happy to be back on the Island!
Lincoln

Re: Operations on Gesy and costs

Post by Lincoln »

The operation is totally FREE. You have to pay the €6.00 to the consultant and that's it. My last hip operation was done at Blue Cross Clinic under GESY. Oh I also had to pay€1.00 for the blood test. Plus €10.00 for an X-Ray. The fee was inclusive of the Anaesthetist etc.
Last edited by Lincoln on Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All things are possible
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Having had a lens replacement for cataracts, under Gesy, just one month ago, I paid a fee to the anaesthetist and was advised of this in advance, it was €25 and the standard (?) €6 for the consultant.The procedure was carried out in a private clinic.
I think the anaesthetist charges are because most are not enrolled as Gesy providers.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Just had to pay for the consultation with the surgeon when he decided an operation was necessary (€6) and the x-ray of the part being operated on (€10), pre-operative blood tests (€3), chest x-ray (€10) and cardiologist (€6) and anaesthetist (€6) due to ECG showing a slightly abnormal reading.

Also included in the cost after the operation on GESY there were a set number of free consultations and free physiotherapy sessions ie it was charged as a package rather than separately. Just as the surgeon is given a number of inpatient days for a person to stay in hospital for that particular type of operation (in this case it was 3 nights).
jeba

Post by jeba »

What if you choose to be operated in a hospital which hasn´t joined GESY? Will you have to pay the full cost yourself or just the balance between what it would have cost under GESY and the actual cost?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I had an operation on my spine one week ago today and additional to all the other costs already stated was a Cat Scan which cost €10 plus a Covid PCR test which cost €75.

Jim
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

jeba wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:17 am What if you choose to be operated in a hospital which hasn´t joined GESY? Will you have to pay the full cost yourself or just the balance between what it would have cost under GESY and the actual cost?
Thats a good question.So is there a list ( obtainable somewhere ) of hospitals that are in GESY and those that are not. :?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I must admit that I don't know of a hospital in the Paphos area that is not in Gesy.
But of course, I don't think jeba is in the Paphos region
Trev..
kansas

Post by kansas »

I had a biopsy to rule out giant cell arteritis at the Hippocratic Clinic which is also GESY. I paid €6 to the surgeon and it cost us €120 to 'rent' the operating room for 15 minutes.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Ah, now that is a 'New' thing to me. I know someone who has had an op in the Evangelismos and they did not have to pay to 'rent' the theatre.
Trev..
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Chaddy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:42 am Thats a good question.So is there a list ( obtainable somewhere ) of hospitals that are in GESY and those that are not. :?

This is the list of the GESY contracted inpatient hospitals/clinics. https://www.gesy.org.cy/sites/Sites?d= ... 7.20-0.pdf

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
jeba

Post by jeba »

kansas wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:16 am I had a biopsy to rule out giant cell arteritis at the Hippocratic Clinic which is also GESY. I paid €6 to the surgeon and it cost us €120 to 'rent' the operating room for 15 minutes.
That´s part of the background to my question. Americans often have to deal with this kind of problem. E. g. the surgeon belongs to the network of a specific insurance but the hospital or anaesthetist doesn´t. Are private hospitals which are part of GESY offering the same standard of service for GESY patients as they do for private patients? Or will you have to share your room with 3 others if you´re GESY insured? Can you get e.g. a private room and/or choose to be operated by the head surgeon and only pay the balance between what GESY pays and what you chose on top of that? Is there insurance available which covers that gap?
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:18 pm
kansas wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:16 am I had a biopsy to rule out giant cell arteritis at the Hippocratic Clinic which is also GESY. I paid €6 to the surgeon and it cost us €120 to 'rent' the operating room for 15 minutes.
That´s part of the background to my question. Americans often have to deal with this kind of problem. E. g. the surgeon belongs to the network of a specific insurance but the hospital or anaesthetist doesn´t. Are private hospitals which are part of GESY offering the same standard of service for GESY patients as they do for private patients? Or will you have to share your room with 3 others if you´re GESY insured? Can you get e.g. a private room and/or choose to be operated by the head surgeon and only pay the balance between what GESY pays and what you chose on top of that? Is there insurance available which covers that gap?
GESY has a limited budget, and I for one, do not want its money, ( of which I contribute) to be used for single bedrooms, and A la carte menus etc, If you or anyone else wants a bit of luxury, Im sure the clinic, will gladly do you a deal , were you pay cash for the extras you require.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I am seeing the same doctors and getting the same level of treatment with GESY as I did when I paid privately.
If anything the food as an inpatient has improved.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I have never found there to be a 2 tier system whenever I have used Gesy. I did have to pay 25 euros instead of 6 euros because I saw a doctor on a Saturday afternoon.
Trev..
jeba

Post by jeba »

WHL wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:26 pm If you or anyone else wants a bit of luxury, Im sure the clinic, will gladly do you a deal , were you pay cash for the extras you require.
I´m not so sure about that. The reason why I´m not sure is twofold:

1. I asked an insurance broker whether there is top-up insurance available to cover those frills and the answer was no. I´d think that if you could choose to pay more for luxury benefits the insurance industry would offer such top-up insurance.

2. If you get treatment at a hospital which doesn´t have a contract with GESY - who would pay for the basics (which would be covered by GESY if there was a contract in place). My guess is that you´d have to pay yourself (unless you have an additional insurance). I somehow doubt that Gesy will refund you the portion of the cost it saved by you choosing a GESY-contracted hospital. A non-GESY hospital (like e.g. the American Hospital in Nicosia) probably won´t even know how to bill you for extras only.
jeba

Post by jeba »

galexinda wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:33 pm I am seeing the same doctors and getting the same level of treatment with GESY as I did when I paid privately.
If anything the food as an inpatient has improved.
That´s another thing I´m not sure about. I wouldn´t be surprised if when they say "doctors are educated on GESY" it means that doctors are told where the economic boundaries have to be set. Patients might not realise this as they won´t know whether e.g. one drug, pacemaker or insulin pump is more expensive than another (which may mean that it has benefits an alternative product may not have).
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

If you want to pay for a different drug than the one the doctor prescribes then you can do, that is your choice .. There are also some blood tests that the GP's cannot sanction on the Gesy system
Trev..
jeba

Post by jeba »

trevnhil wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:39 pm If you want to pay for a different drug than the one the doctor prescribes then you can do, that is your choice .. There are also some blood tests that the GP's cannot sanction on the Gesy system
Would you have to pay the full price or just the difference between what you want and what was prescribed?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

As far as I am aware you pay the full price
Trev..