Twelve Double Vaccinated People Die From Indian Variant

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
71 Trans Am

Twelve Double Vaccinated People Die From Indian Variant

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Twelve double-vaccinated people die with Indian variant

James Morris – Yahoo News
11th June 2021 10:17am

Cases of the Delta variant of coronavirus have more than tripled in a week with 42 people now confirmed to have died after testing positive for the variant, 12 of whom had had both vaccines doses.
Public Health England (PHE) said that as of Wednesday, the UK has seen 42,323 confirmed cases of the B.1.617.2 variant first identified in India, up 29,892 from 12,431 a week ago, and an increase of 240%.
PHE said this has been partly driven by a reduction in test turnaround times, and a faster process for identifying cases of the variant.
The figures are a further blow to Boris Johnson's plan to lift lockdown on 21 June.
The prime minister is set to make an announcement on Monday, and a delay to the full lifting of restrictions is looking increasingly likely.
PHE said research indicates the Delta variant has a 60% increased risk of household transmission compared to the previously-dominant Alpha variant first identified in Kent, which caused the UK's winter crisis of infections, hospital admissions and deaths.
Firefly

Re: Twelve Double Vaccinated People Die From Indian Variant

Post by Firefly »

And who's to blame, the UK government, for not stopping flights from India.

Then we all have to suffer for that.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Lloyd

Put the flags out, we agree :lol:
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

How is not halting flights from India a populist solution?

With regards to the twelve double-vaccinated deaths, why is this even a headline? If a vaccine is 95% effective, then 1 person in 20 will not be protected. Multiply that out throughout a population, and you will obviously still get some deaths. The figure only has any meaning, when you also say how many deaths there have been from people with only one vaccine, and none.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Dominic

If flights had been stopped immediately the strain was found in India, just maybe it wouldn't have been brought here. Even if it hadn't stopped the variant reaching the shores of the UK, cases could well have been much less, and more containable.

I think the double-vaccinated deaths make news, as we were led to believe that those people would be protected from death, it seems not to be the case. However, when certain member of our community deliberately ignore the rules, there is no point in having any as far as I can see.

Jackie
jeba

Post by jeba »

Firefly wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:41 pm I think the double-vaccinated deaths make news, as we were led to believe that those people would be protected from death, it seems not to be the case.
Don´t jump to conclusions. Yahoo news isn´t the most reputable source. As can be seen from the fact that they don´t give any details necessary to even make a guess. Like e.g. whether those who died died because of covid or from other reasons or when they had their second vaccination (remember, it takes a few weeks to become effective, the longer the older you are). Or whether they had medical conditions which might have rendered the vaccines ineffective (like e.g. immunosuppressive treatment).
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Firefly wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:41 pm Dominic

If flights had been stopped immediately the strain was found in India, just maybe it wouldn't have been brought here. Even if it hadn't stopped the variant reaching the shores of the UK, cases could well have been much less, and more containable.
What's your point? Nobody is arguing that. I was questioning why not closing flights from India sooner was a populist move? i think the majority of the population would have been fully on board with them closing flights from India.
Firefly wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:41 pm
I think the double-vaccinated deaths make news, as we were led to believe that those people would be protected from death, it seems not to be the case. However, when certain member of our community deliberately ignore the rules, there is no point in having any as far as I can see.
You are protected from death, just not 100%. In a similar fashion, condoms aren't 100% effective. Most things aren't. There was huge publicity about the varying levels of protection offered by the various vaccines. This is not anything new.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The vast majority of people who have been double-vaccinated will not get serious Covid, however, there are still very vulnerable people in the community. People with multiple morbidities and age-related concerns. People of ethnicity that doubles their risk. People in communities where separation and protection is reduced…

We have no learned that Johnson knew of the Indian problem 2 weeks before it was disclosed, then dallied for 3 weeks before locking down flights, then allowed them in for a few days before stopping, then waited before locking down Turkey, where people were transiting through…. Total incompetence as usual from him. Yet the vast majority of the UK population see him as a ‘great old boy, bumbling but lovable’ and forgive every mistake. That’s populism gone mad. When previous Tory prime ministers condemn him, you know it’s wrong.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

I hadn't heard that Robert Peel had criticised Boris. Mr Peel was the last Tory PM. All subsequent PM's labelled as Tory, have in fact been Conservative & Unionist PM's.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Diocletian wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:41 pm I hadn't heard that Robert Peel had criticised Boris. Mr Peel was the last Tory PM. All subsequent PM's labelled as Tory, have in fact been Conservative & Unionist PM's.
I've no idea which "Tory prime ministers" have condemned him, but if anyone is using May as an example then they really are scraping the barrel!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

John Major isn't a fan.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:41 am
Dominic wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:40 pmHow is not halting flights from India a populist solution?
Sorry, bad choice of word. Meant political. As has been recounted many times before, the reason Boris held off excluding flights from India was...
Ah ok, yes that does make a lot more sense.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Sorry Dominic, I too thought political, silly me.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jimgym wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:58 pm
Diocletian wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:41 pm I hadn't heard that Robert Peel had criticised Boris. Mr Peel was the last Tory PM. All subsequent PM's labelled as Tory, have in fact been Conservative & Unionist PM's.
I've no idea which "Tory prime ministers" have condemned him, but if anyone is using May as an example then they really are scraping the barrel!
Theresa May would, in my opinion, along with her cabinet and the likes of Jeremy Hunt, have made a far better job of the pandemic.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Jimgward wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:44 pm
Jimgym wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:58 pm
Theresa May would, in my opinion, along with her cabinet and the likes of Jeremy Hunt, have made a far better job of the pandemic.
You are of course having a laugh? They were collectively incapable of organising a bun fight in a bakery. The vaccine rollout would not have happened for example.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The vaccine organisation in terms of decision to purchase was organised by someone else’s, but was the only thing that the government got right. The rollout was done by the NHS and they should get the compliments.

Jeremy Hunt is a very experienced minister with political gravitas. Matt Hancock is inexperienced, incompetent and was behind the release of patients to care homes and much more.

Johnson has directly caused 10s of thousands of deaths. That isn’t in dispute. Late lockdowns. No PPE. Much more.
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

The title of this thread states that 12 double vaccinated people died from the Indian variant but the quoted title of the Yahoo news article states that they died with the Indian variant??
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Beechwood

The twelve double vaccinated tested positive for the Indian variant and died – With it / From it – Whatever they died and had it. – And I obviously got a word wrong in the posting – Well I am sorry shall we scrub it and start again or do you want to do 12 post mortem’s – This response is just another example of the Knit Picking Knobs who rarely post but sit and wait for mistakes in others posts What exactly do you want – A medal ? Keep up the good work you Clown.
Varky

Post by Varky »

The devil is in the detail.