Cyprus Medical Card Information

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
galexinda

Cyprus Medical Card Information

Post by galexinda »

Just been notified that the Citizens Service Centre is still issuing the white Cyprus Medical Card and it is valid for 5 years.

If registered as a Dependant because your spouse is eligible for Cyprus state healthcare due to reaching UK state pension age it is recommended by DWP in UK that when you reach UK state pension age you apply for the S1 in order to be eligible for Cyprus state healthcare in your own right. There is no need to re-register with GESY.

I have been following this as I can remember several widows who were caught out when they applied to join GESY in 2019 because not only was their residence status out of date but also many didn't realise that when their spouse died they were no longer eligible for Cyprus state healthcare and they had to take out private medical insurance until they had applied for and submitted the S1 to Nicosia and been issued with a Medical Card - in some cases it took over 6 months.

This applies to those who were resident in Cyprus before 31 December 2020. I haven't been keeping up to date with residency/healthcare/driving licences requirements since Brexit so do not know the situation regarding anyone moving to Cyprus after 01 January 2021.