Our underused reservoirs CWeekly

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Our underused reservoirs CWeekly

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I don't think it is such a good idea to use our dams for watersport (beside the fact that they are getting more and more empty) as the dams would loose their beauty as relaxing places for people which are not so keen on overcrowded beaches. Not to forget the fish stock in shallow waters. There is a big potential in agrotourism which would be negative effected.
Max

http://cyprus-mail.com/2017/04/23/our-u ... eservoirs/
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Our underused reservoirs CWeekly

Post by Dominic »

Why would anybody want to go jet skiing in a small reservoir when they can do it in the sea?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

As someone who is a bit afraid of watesports but wouldn't mind having a go, I must admit I would probably feel much safer on a resovoir than in the sea and more likely to try if not on open water. So I can see the attraction. Having said that, I love the peace and tranquility of the resovoirs and it would be a shame to spoil it. Some gentle canoeing/kayaking wouldn't concern me but anything with an onboard motor/engine probably would.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Perhaps windsurf would be OK for beginners as in dams are less waves than at sea and sometimes enough wind to start. There were quite a lot of windsurf companies 25 years ago which failed doing good business as there is not enough wind to start a board having the funny little waves at sea. Most of them gave up...One of the most famous windsurf places in Europe is on a lake: Lake Garda/Italy, but there is a daily proper wind coming from the mountains every day of the year to the same time.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

There are some watersports in the big reservoir above Limassol.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

It would be excellent for dinghy sailing and canoeing. No motorised vehicles on the water at all, apart form a safety rib with an electric outboard.
All things are possible
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

My Wife's family own a nice villa on the south side of Lake Valencia in Hungary, where the local village councils all maintain very nice lawned areas by the lake, plus steps with handrails to assist you down into the 1m deep fresh water (it gets somewhat deeper further out...)

The north side is a totally undeveloped stretch of reeds and sand banks, where wild life has thrived for the past 40 years. Windsurfing, rowing boats, small sailing yachts are all allowed. Anything with an inboard or outboard engine is TOTALLY forbidden! (As this potentially pollutes the water)

I'm sure Cyprus could consider a similar policy in the short term for the fresh water reservoirs?

BTW our villa is in Agard, Hungary. It is a one bed single storey 30m² house built in 1965, with foundations ready to go up another level. Stands in the middle of a nice 330m² square plot, well-maintained, with mains water and electric, in a quiet and secluded area. Gas available from the street outside.. Within walking distance to shops, bars, tavernas, local spa bath /swimming pool, Railway station and the beach!

Budapest is 30 miles east and Lake Balaton is 20 miles west, both via excellent local road and railway links. If interested, PM me please. Guide price? A mere €60,000 ONO.

Cheers- AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

One of the great advantages of using reservoirs can be seen in many in the UK. As well as quiet watersports, infrastructure for family use can be provided such as artificial beaches, picnic areas and play areas. I'm not saying turn them into a pseudo seaside but a family resource in the countryside in addition to the picnic sites is likely to be well used.

Pete
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

I imagine the intrinsic question here, Lloyd, is DO the gov of Cyprus want motor driven things running around gov owned reservoirs, possibly polluting the water?

And WHO pays for Lifeguards situated at various points around each reservoir from dawn to dusk, from a Health 'n Safety Gov point of view? AL :?:
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

PeteandSylvi wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:43 pm One of the great advantages of using reservoirs can be seen in many in the UK. As well as quiet watersports, infrastructure for family use can be provided such as artificial beaches, picnic areas and play areas. I'm not saying turn them into a pseudo seaside but a family resource in the countryside in addition to the picnic sites is likely to be well used.

Pete
Have you thought about suggesting this idea up at Kannaviou reservoir where you live, Pete and Sylv? To the Mucktar, I mean? Sorry if spelled that wrong, almost nobody is perfect...

Cheers - AL :?:
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

PaphosAL wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:11 pm
PeteandSylvi wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:43 pm One of the great advantages of using reservoirs can be seen in many in the UK. As well as quiet watersports, infrastructure for family use can be provided such as artificial beaches, picnic areas and play areas. I'm not saying turn them into a pseudo seaside but a family resource in the countryside in addition to the picnic sites is likely to be well used.

Pete
Have you thought about suggesting this idea up at Kannaviou reservoir where you live, Pete and Sylv? To the Mucktar, I mean? Sorry if spelled that wrong, almost nobody is perfect...

I don't think this would be in my Muktar's remit, Al. In any case, technically there would be 2 Muktar's involved as it is the Kannaviou-Asprogia Dam.

I believe it is the Water Authority that has jurisdiction over the site over the water aspects, the Forestry Commission controls the land and surrounds while another authority grants the fishing licences.

While it would be a desirable project I think it would open another can of worms which would take many years to get moving.

Pete
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:58 pm Al, don't think I ever saw lifeguards posted around reservoirs in America, so why would you need them here? It's swimmers who (may) need lifeguards, not the boating fraternity. Aside from which, I never get the impression Health and Safety figures very highly on the government agenda here in Cyprus.
Lloyd, from the various Discovery channels I watch for half an hour each day, most of the Life Guards around (and in) the UK are rescueing FOUR dopey teenagers from lakes and reservoirs, who have paddled out in an inflatable dinghy, with only ONE of them wearing an inflatible life vest! (Typically...)

It's worrying, this one, methinks... Deep water drowns people who don't understand it... AL :cry:
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

PeteandSylvi wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:36 pm
PaphosAL wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:11 pm

Pete

I don't think this would be in my Muktar's remit, Al. In any case, technically there would be 2 Muktar's involved as it is the Kannaviou-Asprogia Dam.

I believe it is the Water Authority that has jurisdiction over the site over the water aspects, the Forestry Commission controls the land and surrounds while another authority grants the fishing licences.

While it would be a desirable project I think it would open another can of worms which would take many years to get moving.

Pete
Thanks for that response, Pete and Sylv! I'll sleep on that one and ponder... Hope you two can do likewise!
Cheers- AL
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

All sailing and water recreational clubs have SAFETY boats it is a requirement.
All things are possible