Profiteering or making up lost ground?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Re: Profiteering or making up lost ground?

Post by WHL »

Mark wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:58 am
WHL wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:50 am Some people seem to forget how many overheads pubs/restaurants/cafes have, lets start of with rent, tax, council taxes, social payments, license's, music license's etc, electricity , gas, air con, heating, that nice cosy log fire, needs logs bought, maintenance , Staff wages, the glass you drink your beer in needs buying, then it needs cleaning, the beer needs refrigerating, then you need a napkin, a straw, ice for your drink,etc etc, often hear people say I can buy that beer for 1,50 euro from the supermarket, simple buy it and it drink it at home :?
The venues that have not increased prices exponentially seem to be managing fine, and now have increased custom
they might seem to be managing fine, unless you have copy's of their accounts its pure speculation, I would imagine that after being closed for months re Covid, the vast majority are hanging on by the skin of their teeth, If I was a regular of a pub, and enjoyed going there, a 0.50c rise might be the difference from staying open and closing, most owners of pubs etc are not fools they know the going price of pints, so why would they risk their custom, if they didnt have to?
BOB Peyia

Post by BOB Peyia »

WHL wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:50 am often hear people say I can buy that beer for 1,50 euro from the supermarket, simple buy it and it drink it at home :?
Unfortunately that is all some people can afford to do, unlike others who can live the life of Riley?
WHL

Post by WHL »

BOB Peyia wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:14 am
WHL wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:50 am often hear people say I can buy that beer for 1,50 euro from the supermarket, simple buy it and it drink it at home :?
Unfortunately that is all some people can afford to do, unlike others who can live the life of Riley?
Yes unfortunately some people can only afford to drink at home, and going out is a rare luxury,
but I wasn't talking about those, I was talking about tight whinging gits, who have a bunch of cash. in their pocket yet enjoy moaning about the cost of everything.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Phew, thank goodness you were not talking about me
Trev..
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

3 x 63cl bottles of KEO for £5 in our regular UK supermarket.
Every so often we buy some for our "taste of Cyprus" usually if we plan to get the BBQ out.

I still prefer Cider though, it was my drink of choice before we left UK in 2004 and only really turned to lager in Cyprus in the beginning because Cider was always too expensive. Prices did come down once more UK imported goods became more popular but I always enjoyed our winter UK visits for my Cider fix.

At home, I have a "tipple" of one alcoholic drink each evening which can be white wine, sangria, vodka and orange, Cuba libre to my regular Friday night G+T but afternoons at Ma Kelly's Station in Blackpool, Saturday night in the local club or any other pub will be my Cider.

I remember my regular Thursday night pub crawls in the early 90s with my mate in my local town where we had a pub on every corner and some in between. I would spend a tenner each Thursday: £1 in the chippy to walk home with and the rest of the money on Cider at £1 a pint.

Now I'm much more grown up, I stick to half pints 😉
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
lotus

Post by lotus »

Ah the good old days,I remember a load of us used to go drinking into Oxford most nights,having a good time with my 5 pounds a week apprentice wages and still having a bit of money left at the end of the week,no punch ups or stabbings in those days,my how things have changed!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I've eaten at two places recently. One a village taverna, the other a well known established restaurant in town. Both places gave us a great welcome back! The owner of the village taverna has been doing takeaways during lockdown. Both establishments had left their meal prices virtually the same as before.
I don't drink beer, so can't comment on prices. But their soft drinks were virtually the same price as before.

Dee
josef k

Post by josef k »

There are many reasons I would frequent one place rather than another, and the price of beer isn't one of them.

Having said that, I know of two bars virtually opposite each other where one charges more than the other. The drunks go in the cheaper one, I go in the other one.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

lotus wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:37 pm Ah the good old days,I remember a load of us used to go drinking into Oxford most nights,having a good time with my 5 pounds a week apprentice wages and still having a bit of money left at the end of the week,no punch ups or stabbings in those days,my how things have changed!
Your dead right lotus,,but i did it on one pound seventeen and sixpence a week :( am i giving my age away :?
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

When I was a lad you could have four flagon's of ale 5 nights of the week and visit a house of ill repute and still have two groat's left for the weekend
staffie

Post by staffie »

went to a beach bar, 2019, not mentioning name, a can of Carlsberg 330ml, 3euros, had sense to walk away.
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

Josef K you state the drunks go to the one were the beer is cheaper ! Are you saying anyone who wishes to save a few cents and drink the same beer is a drunk ! :) I think not "!
lotus

Post by lotus »

Bloody hell Chaddy and Trans Am I thought I was old 😉
WHL

Post by WHL »

71 Trans Am wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:58 pm When I was a lad you could have four flagon's of ale 5 nights of the week and visit a house of ill repute and still have two groat's left for the weekend
Not forgetting the free dose of syphilis :shock: :D
josef k

Post by josef k »

bmwx5 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:03 pm Josef K you state the drunks go to the one were the beer is cheaper ! Are you saying anyone who wishes to save a few cents and drink the same beer is a drunk ! :) I think not "!
Of course my comment was, inevitably, a generalisation. I'm sure there are a number of people who chase the cheap pint and are not drunks.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

lotus wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:08 pm Bloody hell Chaddy and Trans Am I thought I was old 😉
Its just that when you get old everything hurts,,and what does,nt hurt does,nt work :(
harveywinning

Post by harveywinning »

Drinking out in the UK can be quite expensive. We went to our local village pub last night and we had a pint of Estrella for £4.90 and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc was £7.50

Mind you they were modest prices compared to London. Went to London last week for two nights, for a special birthday, the hotel was really good but the drinks prices....!!!!! Just been looking at the bill. We had pre dinner drinks, we both had Gin & Tonic which was £18 plus a service charge of 12.5% making a total of £20.25 for each drink. The total for two of us was £40.50

The next evening the wife had a glass of champagne £22.00 and I had whisky (nothing special) on the rocks £18.00 both plus service charges making a total cost of £45.00

Roll on next week, thank goodness, back in Cyprus, back to sanity. Don't grumble about the prices in Cyprus - they are magic compared to the UK.
WHL

Post by WHL »

harveywinning wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:11 pm Drinking out in the UK can be quite expensive. We went to our local village pub last night and we had a pint of Estrella for £4.90 and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc was £7.50

Mind you they were modest prices compared to London. Went to London last week for two nights, for a special birthday, the hotel was really good but the drinks prices....!!!!! Just been looking at the bill. We had pre dinner drinks, we both had Gin & Tonic which was £18 plus a service charge of 12.5% making a total of £20.25 for each drink. The total for two of us was £40.50

The next evening the wife had a glass of champagne £22.00 and I had whisky (nothing special) on the rocks £18.00 both plus service charges making a total cost of £45.00

Roll on next week, thank goodness, back in Cyprus, back to sanity. Don't grumble about the prices in Cyprus - they are magic compared to the UK.
A friend of mine went to a Rugby match in Scotland and for a treat he took his wife, he booked in at the Balmoral hotel in Edinburgh, so the first night, in the bar, without looking at the menu. he ordered two of your best whisky's , wait for it, it was north of six hundred quid, well this guy has a few quid, but it brought a tear even to his eye.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

WHL wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:33 am
BOB Peyia wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:14 am
Yes unfortunately some people can only afford to drink at home, and going out is a rare luxury,
but I wasn't talking about those, I was talking about tight whinging gits, who have a bunch of cash. in their pocket yet enjoy moaning about the cost of everything.
And how do you know if a person is on a low income or not? Perhaps some people prefer to drink at home than go out?
memory man

Post by memory man »

WHL wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:42 pm

A friend of mine went to a Rugby match in Scotland and for a treat he took his wife, he booked in at the Balmoral hotel in Edinburgh, so the first night, in the bar, without looking at the menu. he ordered two of your best whisky's , wait for it, it was north of six hundred quid, well this guy has a few quid, but it brought a tear even to his eye.
Could you find out the name of the whisky pls.

and what size of drink it was? Was it 1/4 0r 1/5 or what!