Chlorine for pools

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Sadie

Chlorine for pools

Post by Sadie »

Hi all
I seem to have developed an intolerance to the chlorine in our pool, I’ve developed like a contact dermatitis kind of rash
(don’t know if it’s because of new medication)
Is there such a thing as chlorine for sensitive skin?
Thanks
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
WHL

Re: Chlorine for pools

Post by WHL »

Take a look at changing to a Salt water pool?
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

I know there's a chlorine free shock you can buy for hot tubs, maybe it's also available in greater quantity for pools.

Just a thought
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Are the chlorine levels in your pool checked and adjusted correctly, is it a communal or your own pool?
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

It may not necessarily be the chlorine as an incorrect PH level could also cause skin irritation.

If you take a sample to any local supplier they should be able to test the water for you.
daveg

Post by daveg »

I use a floating solar powered ozonator,plus the occasional Chlorine tablet.....From Amazon around €100....
Less chlorine may help you.....
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

WHL wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:12 am Take a look at changing to a Salt water pool?
I would love to, but sadly finances don’t allow
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

Uncle D wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:19 am Are the chlorine levels in your pool checked and adjusted correctly, is it a communal or your own pool?
It’s my pool, and we maintain it
WHL

Post by WHL »

Sadie wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:45 pm
WHL wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:12 am Take a look at changing to a Salt water pool?
I would love to, but sadly finances don’t allow
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Sadie wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:45 pm
Uncle D wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:19 am Are the chlorine levels in your pool checked and adjusted correctly, is it a communal or your own pool?
It’s my pool, and we maintain it
I asked if it was communal because the pool operators sometimes overdose on the Chlorine as they can only visit twice per week.

if your checking the chemical levels and maintaining them correctly I cant see why there would be a problem, so if I was you I would go and see a doctor.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
WHL

Post by WHL »

A salt chlorine generator is what you need, maybe HIC might know some contacts who could give a price?
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

We have a salt water pool. Contrary to what some people believe, you still need chlorine which is generated by a salt water chlorinator - the water flows though the cell whilst the pump is running and because it’s salty (less salty than a tear drop) a chemical reaction occurs which produces chlorine in gas form rather than granule or compressed tablets. As it’s in that pure form, its not stabilised so Cyanuric Acid, levels, aka stabiliser, are important in salt pools.

Sadie, a side effect of your pool ph being too high or too low can be skin irritation, make sure whatever you are using to test the water is in date and not giving false results which could mean you are adding too much of the wrong stuff to the pool. A good idea is to take a sample to one of the pool co panties and ask them to test it for you. For example I have recently done that with The Pool People in Peyia to make sure my kit is giving accurate results. The contact there is Tony Bell, phone ahead and take a sample at the last possible moment before going there, or any to any other company.

Ian
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

At my previous house we had a salt chlorinator fitted to a existing pool. I can only say that salt chlorination produces lovely soft water. So much kinder to your skin. (As well as to your swimming costume!) Above all no smell of chlorine!
It was so much nicer to swim in. Since I had to sell the house, I now hate swimming in the communal pool at my new house which inevitably is chlorinated.
Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Dee, can you give members an idea of the costs involved.. And maybe who did this work for you, although if anyone is interested they could message you.
Trev..
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Agree with Dee about how the water feels. Much nicer. Cost varies a lot from model to model, spending on what deals are around, I’d say around €1000, plus installation, plus about €40 for the initial 120kg salt for the set up, plus one or two bags a year (depends on frequency of backwashing), plus a a couple of bottles of no more scale or similar to clean the cell, say another €30. Cell lifetime will vary on run time, ours lasted 5 years and was about €500. Plus a little bit of electricity to run the system.

Ian
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

Kili01 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:50 am Above all no smell of chlorine!
If you smell chlorine your pool is not balanced, it is not actually chlorine that you smell but chloramines and strangely the cure may be too add chlorine.
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Aargent wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:38 am
Kili01 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:50 am Above all no smell of chlorine!
If you smell chlorine your pool is not balanced, it is not actually chlorine that you smell but chloramines and strangely the cure may be too add chlorine.
Yup, as I understand it, it’s the smell of the free chlorine combining with organic waste, so the more you smell it the less free chlorine there is in the pool.

Ian
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

So we found out the problem
Thanks to the folks who mentioned the ph levels in the pool
On checking the ph level was very high, very acidic hence the rash.
Turns out, my husband, although he’s a Lancastrian, is almost as tight as a Scots man as he wasn’t testing nearly enough
So the position for pool cleaner and husband is vacant, although, not necessarily in that order 🤣🤣🤣
Mark

Post by Mark »

Sadie, did you get my application!!!!
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Sorry, if the pH level is high, it means that you pool is too alkaline. PH level low = acidic. Please don't make things worse by adding the wrong stuff.