Health experts propose complete withdrawal of Astrazeneca from inoculation programme

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Health experts propose complete withdrawal of Astrazeneca from inoculation programme

Post by memory man »

Health experts are proposing the complete withdrawal from the island’s inoculation programme of the controversial Astrazeneca vaccine against Covid-19 and not just putting an age limit on who gets it.

This is what insiders told Philenews, adding that the group of scientists advising the government met for over three hours on Tuesday but reached no final conclusions.

The meeting followed alarming developments where a 39-year-old woman on Monday passed away in Nicosia General Hospital from a thrombotic episode days after she was vaccinated with Astrazeneca.

And a second woman, aged 40, is still hospitalized with a thrombotic episode after she also got an Astrazeneca shot.

The experts whose views differ will submit their written and personally signed proposals before the Health Minister, Philenews also said.

The possibility of setting an age restriction is still on the table, but in a secondary position.

Vaccine stocks and current quantities in Cyprus were reviewed with new delivery not expected before the end of June.

And with no guarantee that the ordered delivery will be received within the specified timeframe.

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/health- ... programme/
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Health experts propose complete withdrawal of Astrazeneca from inoculation programme

Post by Dominic »

What about all the alarming developments of people dying from COVID?

What do they propose to do instead to vaccinate the population?

And how can they propose something but reach no final conclusion? That doesn't even make sense.

There are minute (and that is all they are) risks in any vaccination program. I hope that none of the experts either smoke or drink to excess, because if they do, they should look at the statistics involved in those activities first.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
The Aquila

Re: Health experts propose complete withdrawal of Astrazeneca from inoculation programme

Post by The Aquila »

Instead of withdrawing it, why not give people the choice whether they want this type or not!?. Personally, I will still have it as my second is (hopefully) due in the next couple of weeks.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I have had one AZ jab and waiting for my second.
If they withdraw the AZ jab will that delay my second jab with another vaccine!
WHL

Post by WHL »

Paul wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:45 am I have had one AZ jab and waiting for my second.
If they withdraw the AZ jab will that delay my second jab with another vaccine!
I have just had a message giving me a new date for my 2nd Astra jab, three weeks earlier then the original date.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Good to see the Cyprus health experts are updating their knowledge about the various vaccines which is helped by countries sharing their data.

I agree there are risks with all types of medication, hence I still strongly recommend people discuss the situation with their Personal Doctor as that is the person who has access to medical records and can give impartial advice. However, at the end of the day it is up to each individual to decide.
josef k

Post by josef k »

Condolences to the family of the young girl.

But I think we should beware of knee-jerk reactions. It is still not known if the vaccine had a part to play. Investigations will take place and only then will we know. We should remember the risk from covid vaccines is smaller than that from birth control pills. I have had both AZ vaccine shots and experienced very minor reactions, in my case a headache after the first shot. The vast majority have had similar outcomes.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I have just had my 2nd AZ jab. I did have some flu symptoms, and a bad headache for a couple of days, but am over it now. I think most people have some reaction to it, but they are mostly minor side effects. The benefit of being vaccinated against Covid, is more important than not being vaccinated.
If in doubt talk to your personal doctor who knows your health status and consider their advice.
I know the poor girl's parents, and feel so sorry for them both. It's so sad.
But millions of people have already been vaccinated with AZ successfully and these very serious side effects are quite rare.

Dee
June

Post by June »

If the AZ vaccination is withdrawn what will take it's place?

Is there sufficient Pfizer etc in the pipeline to complete the inoculation programme?

It just seems madness to do this when all vaccinations carry risks....as do all medications e g Birth Pill, even Paracetamol etc
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Putting an age restriction on the AZ vaccine may be the best way forward. But since the other vaccines seem to be only available in smaller quantities this could slow down the vaccination of the younger people.

Dee