Holiday 'police' knocking on your door:

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Holiday 'police' knocking on your door:

Post by memory man »

Priti Patel reveals plans for up to 10,000 quarantine checks EVERY day to make sure returning Britons are self-isolating - as five million book summer trips to Europe
Priti Patel said enforcement was being stepped up to check on people arriving
Will make sure travellers who visit amber-list countries obey ten-day quarantine
Officials can do 10,000 home visits a day and 30,000 were conducted last week
Anyone found to be out when supposedly self-isolating risks fine up to £10,000
Warning came despite growing optimism of an end to Covid curbs next month

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... s-day.html

Read the article and chat about it below...
memory man

Re: Holiday 'police' knocking on your door:

Post by memory man »

So, you go on holiday to an amber country for 2 weeks
and have to self isolate for 10 days on return.

Will your employer be happy with that?

Will you lose wages?
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Quite right too.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Damned if they check, damned if they don't.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The whole thing sounds a mess and very difficult to police effectively, I am supposed to be returning to the UK at the end of next month, just hope that the UK gets its act together and stops this heavy handed treatment of its citizens who dare to go abroad for their first holiday for over a year.....
How does Cyprus treat people who arrive here from amber list countries? At least it doesn't threaten people with €10,000 fines.....

Dee
June

Post by June »

Dominic wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:07 pm Damned if they check, damned if they don't.
As Dominic says......
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

I think that's It's just another bullshit scare like the TV detector vans
David
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Well there certainly were TV detector vans..
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:02 am Well there certainly were TV detector vans..
Back in the day yes, in fact if anyone comes to your door asking you if you have a TV license, you can refuse to talk to them and tell them to get off your property.

Last edited by WHL on Fri May 21, 2021 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

I know someone who is currently in the UK. They purchased and the 2/8 days tests and also 5 day early release test. They were called every day until they got the results of the 5 days test, which was negative, and then they were told they were released and would no longer be called. The calls were significantly long enough each time to allow the call be traced to the location, if this is what they are doing.
boycott

Post by boycott »

The Aquila wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:35 am I know someone who is currently in the UK. They purchased and the 2/8 days tests and also 5 day early release test. They were called every day until they got the results of the 5 days test, which was negative, and then they were told they were released and would no longer be called. The calls were significantly long enough each time to allow the call be traced to the location, if this is what they are doing.
Who says you have to answer your phone and can they make you?
Have they taken into consideration people that do not have a phone (or smart phone) and people that are deaf and cannot use a phone?
My step daughters address you cannot get a mobile signal without leaving the house.

No I do not have issues with home quarantine just how it is done and as long as all others are complying with it.
BOB Peyia

Post by BOB Peyia »

boycott wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:53 am
Have they taken into consideration people that do not have a phone (or smart phone) and people that are deaf and cannot use a phone?
My step daughters address you cannot get a mobile signal without leaving the house.

No I do not have issues with home quarantine just how it is done and as long as all others are complying with it.
I have done this procedure on a couple of occasions, A government representative calls everyday including days 6,7,8 even if you passed day 5 test. The call times varies, i received calls at 7am and 10pm also it states on the government entrance form, a landline is the preferred number, there is also a section hard of hearing, disabilities etc. Everything is covered.

What the government cannot stop or prevent is people ignoring the isolation procedures or people entering the country with false Certificate

Side Question - As you step daughter does not get a mobile signal at home, how does she make or receive telephone calls in the house?
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

We came back to the UK on May 14th , the queues at Terminal 5 were light as the automatic passport scanners are now working and they automatically link to your locator form so nobody has to check it .
We have rented a cottage just south of Stratford upon Avon while we look for somewhere to live. . Unbeknown to us the cottage has almost no mobile phone signal and no land line . The NHS search and trace started phoning on Day 1 but we kept missing the call or it would break up. They persevered through day 2 and day 3 before both of us were finally given the full spiel about isolating and doing out tests. Yesterday they started again but we have yet to catch the call as they only give it about 3 rings then stop . I guess its an automatic dialler like the spam callers use.
We obviously know no one in the village and rightly aren’t going banging on doors. So to post our tests I go to the local post office and post them in the specially marked post box .
If you look on the UK Gov approved list of Covid testers many offer a clinician test. This doesn’t mean you get a clinician come to the house but rather you go to their clinic ! Add to that the fact that to get to your residence you can use local transport or indeed nightstop en route if your house is a long way from the airport and you can see the pitfalls of the hastily thrown together system. There are also delays in the testing system . Our day 2 tests were sent by Royal Mail on Sunday afternoon arrived at the test provider on Monday , went to the lab on Tuesday and we got the results on Wednesday . So our Day 8 test if it follows the same timescale will mean we have to isolate for 12 days not 10 . No wonder the government is trying to stop holidaymakers travelling to amber countries as the system won’t be able to cope.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

memory man wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:02 pm So, you go on holiday to an amber country for 2 weeks
and have to self isolate for 10 days on return.

Will your employer be happy with that?

Will you lose wages?
Yes.
No.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

boycott wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:53 am
The Aquila wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:35 am I know someone who is currently in the UK. They purchased and the 2/8 days tests and also 5 day early release test. They were called every day until they got the results of the 5 days test, which was negative, and then they were told they were released and would no longer be called. The calls were significantly long enough each time to allow the call be traced to the location, if this is what they are doing.

If everybody just concentrated on how their own quarantine was being handled this whole process would run a lot more smoothly.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

As if the police didn't have enough to do !

Slightly off topic, it is reported that up to 1000 people arrive in the UK per day from India ! Who are these people, and why are they allowed into the UK from a red country. A lot of my friends and family find it unbelievable, and wonder just what is going on here.

Then they tell us that we cannot visit Cyprus unless it's for essential travel, not for a holiday.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Firefly wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:24 pm As if the police didn't have enough to do !

Slightly off topic, it is reported that up to 1000 people arrive in the UK per day from India ! Who are these people, and why are they allowed into the UK from a red country. A lot of my friends and family find it unbelievable, and wonder just what is going on here.

Then they tell us that we cannot visit Cyprus unless it's for essential travel, not for a holiday.

Jackie
They are I would imagine, be UK citizens returning home after visiting India for different reasons.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Firefly, I sympathise with you. It seems very hard that Govt try to force people to not go abroad for their holiday. Particularly as the UK has been having some lousy weather recently.
I am hoping to return to the UK from Paphos, next month. It's been well nigh impossible for us to go anywhere as well.
Here's hoping that Boris and Co will see fit to include Cyprus as a Green listed country soon.
Our number of cases has now dwindled to about 100+ per day as more people get vaccinated.
Dee
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Firefly wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:24 pm As if the police didn't have enough to do !

Jackie
The government banned people flying in from Pakistan and Bangladesh but not India, because Boris is trying to get a trade deal with them.
The police are woefully understaffed, I wonder why?
You should complain to your conservative MP, after all you voted them in.
David
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

WHL

I find it very hard to believe that so many (many thousands) have been 'visiting' India during a pandemic, and have the means to stay in a hotel here for ten days, at a cost of £1.700 per head.

Dee

Thank you for understanding, and good luck with your proposed trip. Yes let's hope Boris sees that the silent majority are getting frustrated.

David

Too late, I already have complained to my MP, I am awaiting the results of my communication.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.