11 times over the limit??

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Billsun

11 times over the limit??

Post by Billsun »

Article from the Cyprus Mail

"A woman was injured on the Nicosia-Larnaca highway early Monday when a drunk driver collided with oncoming traffic near Kofinou.

The woman is in serious condition but out of danger, police said. The man driving the other vehicle was 11 times over the limit"

Eleven times over the limit - really. Would he/she have been able to remain vertical with that much alcohol never mind drive a car.
Billsun

Re: 11 times over the limit??

Post by Billsun »

That is still around six and a half times over the limit compared to the UK law
Biddy

Post by Biddy »

I wish Cyprus would clamp down on drink driving. We hire a car when in Cyprus but spend a small fortune on taxis when we go out and about for an evening meal because it is just inexcusable to drink and drive. I too lost a family member to a drunk driver many years ago when it was deemed acceptable to have one for the road. However we have seen so many Cypriots and ex pats drink to excess and then get in their car as if the law doesn't apply to them. Steeper fines and complete bans called for but I doubt out will happen. I enjoy a drink or two or three and have been known to have a thumping head in the morning so I am not a goody two shoes but would never get behind the wheel after drinking
zorbathejock

Post by zorbathejock »

Billsun wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:10 pm That is still around six and a half times over the limit compared to the UK law
Depends which law you are talking about. Scotland and England have different limits, Scotland having a lower limit.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Saturday we were at a friends daughters engagement party, the Friend is an English Cypriot and the quests were a 50/50 mix of locals and expats....drink flowed all night, and I spent quite a lot of the time out side with my lad who is a smoker ...and sadly we stood there watching many both locals and expats ..way over the limit ...slurring and staggering getting into their cars, before driving off.
Bograt

Post by Bograt »

I have to agree re the expats, sadly. An elderly English gentleman I know will frequently (twice a week sometimes) drive home when he is hardly able to stand. He has worked out a back route from his local to his home, to avoid the police around Coral Bay/Peyia area. He's already nearly killed himself in an accident but still he continues. I love a drink, but would never never drink and drive - a car is a big heavy lump of metal, it goes a long way in just 2 seconds, life is too good to chuck away, and if I hurt an innocent person - never could I forgive myself.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Give the info to the Police, before he kills someone.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

In Scotland, with the limit being so low, most people now don't drink at all when driving. Previously, people would have a couple of beers, but now, rather than risk it with one or a small glass of wine, most have a soft drink. It has made a massive difference - also to the cost of soft drinks in pubs, where £2.50 for a coke isn't abnormal....
darrow

Post by darrow »

there are much heavier penalties that have come into force only this week for driving illegally. up to ten years in some cases. the problem being the policing is not up to scratch. i did see someone had been pulled over near Debenhams and he didn't look too happy!