Potato farmers in trouble

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
LouiseCastricum

Re: Potato farmers in trouble

Post by LouiseCastricum »

I think it has more to do with restaurants and hotels being closed due to covid, so no people eating chips etc.
Louise :)
Tremigirl

Post by Tremigirl »

I also read that they cannot get anyone to work there and they are also short of boxes to pack the potatoes in.
Why are people not queuing up to work there if there are so many people out of work with no money?
Even if the wages are low, it is still money to be able to buy food.
Burglaries have gone up since the pandemic, get these potato people want workers!!!
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Germany is one of the largest export market for Cypriot potatoes, however due to Covid, most of the Restaurants in Germany are still closed.
In the past Cyprus exported app 10.000 tons to Germany in spring times.
https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/05/15/pota ... d-produce/

Max
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:28 am Last year there was a huge glut of fruit and veg, simply because hotels and restaurants were closed with no tourist mouths to feed. Anecdotal evidence was that fields and fields of water melons in the Argaka area were left to rot, because there was simply no market for them. The same would apply to other fruit and veg. Next to our shop is a middleman who solely supplies hotels with fruit and veg. Their doors have been closed for 15 months.

Because the Turkish Lira is so weak, when the border with the north does eventually open, it might well be that fruit and veg from the north will be available much cheaper than from the republic, as has happened in the past. Greece has also in the past undercut local produce.

Buyers will buy from the cheapest source available; being green, sustainable and 'helping neighbours' does not come into it.
I can confirm your anecdotal evidence. Water melons unpicked in all the fields in Argaka near us.
WHL

Post by WHL »

mouse wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:27 pm Just read an article in Paphos post ( don't know how to put a link ) about potato farmers not being able to sell their potatos ! I have never really thought about it but it certainly seems there is a trend towards imported fruit and veg which makes no sence to me as Cyprus is a fertile land and has many able farmers . Why ship produce all over the world when you can use local. In these days of covid restrictions having disrupted normal trade routes I think we should look more to our own back yards ! It's greener and we help our neighbours.
Why would anyone in their right mind choose to buy and eat frozen iceland, Tesco chips, tasteless rubbish, shipped from the UK, when you have some of the best potatoes on the planet, at good prices.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

WHL wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:48 pm
mouse wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:27 pm Just read an article in Paphos post ( don't know how to put a link ) about potato farmers not being able to sell their potatos ! I have never really thought about it but it certainly seems there is a trend towards imported fruit and veg which makes no sence to me as Cyprus is a fertile land and has many able farmers . Why ship produce all over the world when you can use local. In these days of covid restrictions having disrupted normal trade routes I think we should look more to our own back yards ! It's greener and we help our neighbours.
Why would anyone in their right mind choose to buy and eat frozen iceland, Tesco chips, tasteless rubbish, shipped from the UK, when you have some of the best potatoes on the planet, at good prices.

Yes, I bought 3 kg for 1.11 Euro, variety Spunta from Avgorou village at Lidl last Saturday, I.Quality and delicious. I think they were reduced 35% that day. This type (Spunta) is excellent to use for a Bavarian potato salad which I love to produce many times...

Max
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

The Cypriot potatoes make the best chips but many restaurants choose to serve frozen chips which are labour saving
I always enquire fresh or frozen chips they cannot lie as there is any enormous difference
WHL

Post by WHL »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:12 pm

Yes, I bought 3 kg for 1.11 Euro, variety Spunta from Avgorou village at Lidl last Saturday, I.Quality and delicious. I think they were reduced 35% that day. This type (Spunta) is excellent to use for a Bavarian potato salad which I love to produce many times...

Max
Recipe please Max for your Bavarian potato salad
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Also many people, including us, cutting down on potatoes for dietry reasons. We used to have potatoes with almost every meal but now perhaps just once a week or chips when we go out.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

WHL wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:18 pm

Max
"Well, I posted that recipe 4 years ago on this forum and I know some members which love the Bavarian (Frankish) potato salad...
I can give you the recipe for "Frankish" potato salad as I learned it when I lived
in Nuremberg (people in Nuremberg are called Franken, even when it belongs to Bavaria)

boil small long potatoes (var.spunta p.e.)and peel them afterwards,
wait at least 1/2 hour to cut them in thin slices, plenty of salt and pepper, using large bowl,
cut 1 or 2 onions small also garlic if you like and mix it in
for a marinade white vinegar, 1/2 with water, pepper, mustard (dijon),good olive oil (plenty) mix until smooth,(amount: full whiskey glass)
and poor it over the potatoes, stir it well and cut fresh parsley(plenty) over it, stir again and wait at least 1/2 hour,
I prefer it lukewarm, not from the fridge (only in hot Summer)

Delicious for me is Guinness, Murphy's or Pilsner Urquell with that salad and the Original Nuremberg sausages with Dijon and horse radish."

Max
WHL

Post by WHL »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:07 pm
WHL wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:18 pm

Max
"Well, I posted that recipe 4 years ago on this forum and I know some members which love the Bavarian (Frankish) potato salad...
I can give you the recipe for "Frankish" potato salad as I learned it when I lived
in Nuremberg (people in Nuremberg are called Franken, even when it belongs to Bavaria)

wait at least 1/2 hour to cut them in thin slices, plenty of salt and pepper, using large bowl,
for a marinade white vinegar, 1/2 with water, pepper, mustard (dijon),good olive oil (plenty) mix until smooth,(amount: full whiskey glass)
and poor it over the potatoes, stir it well and cut fresh parsley(plenty) over it, stir again and wait at least 1/2 hour,
I prefer it lukewarm, not from the fridge (only in hot Summer)

Delicious for me is Guinness, Murphy's or Pilsner Urquell with that salad and the Original Nuremberg sausages with Dijon and horse radish."

Max
Your a star, will make this tomorrow, thank you
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

WHL wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:48 pm Why would anyone in their right mind choose to buy and eat frozen iceland, Tesco chips, tasteless rubbish, shipped from the UK, when you have some of the best potatoes on the planet, at good prices.
We moved back to UK after 12yrs from Cyprus just a few days over 5yrs ago and we don't eat frozen chips! We only have chips once a week at the very most and not something we eat on weekly basis at all, but when we do - we prefer to make our own.
Sometimes, we will decide to have a fish takeaway from our local chippy and even then, I will go to order and collect while hubby makes the chips.
Otherwise, we have boiled potatoes in their skins or jacket spuds.

If Cyprus taught us one thing, it was to cook from fresh. Especially those misshaped veggies!
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Anarita John wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:04 pm Also many people, including us, cutting down on potatoes for dietry reasons. We used to have potatoes with almost every meal but now perhaps just once a week or chips when we go out.
I wonder which dietic reasons who have against eating potatoes. They are one of the most healthy accompaniments of a meal. Specially the content of potassium (>400 mg/100 gr) and magnesium (28 mg/100 gr) is very good if you have high blood pressure or cardiac problems. Regarding of calories( 70/100 gr) and carbs (15/100 gr) they are even good when you are on a low carb diet. But I am talking jacked potato, not chips. Regarding potassium: Recently the daily recommendation was raised from before 2000 mg to more than 4000 mg...!! which is very difficult to achieve with your standard food intake.

Max
jeba

Post by jeba »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:07 pm "Well, I posted that recipe 4 years ago on this forum and I know some members which love the Bavarian (Frankish) potato salad...

You forgot to add those tiny pieces of fried bacon.
jeba

Post by jeba »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:07 pm I can give you the recipe for "Frankish" potato salad as I learned it when I lived
It only belongs to Bavaria because Napoleon donated Franconia to the Bavarians as a reward for Bavarian military support. Culturally we´re not Bavarians!
jeba

Post by jeba »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:42 pm Regarding of calories( 70/100 gr) and carbs (15/100 gr) they are even good when you are on a low carb diet.
They are even lower in calories if you let them cool down and put them into the fridge (you may reheat them) because that will turn part of the carbohydrates into some sort of fibre which can´t be absorbed (google "resistant starch" if interested).
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Max, A friend of mine has diabetes and has been told by his doctor, not to eat potatoes due to the starch content, this along with several other 'starchy' vegs and fruits.
He is only allowed to eat a few starch containing foods such as oats because they take longer to digest than wheat. (Slow burning carbs)
So your theory about refrigerating potatoes after cooking them is interesting if it means that there is a lower level of digestible carbhydrates.

Dee
jeba

Post by jeba »

Kili01 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:59 am So your theory about refrigerating potatoes after cooking them is interesting if it means that there is a lower level of digestible carbhydrates.
It should mean just that. I have no idea though of how much of a difference it makes. If your friend knows of a dietician it's worth asking.