PAFOS: Massive protest against the measures - More than 500 people

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
galexinda

PAFOS: Massive protest against the measures - More than 500 people

Post by galexinda »

A mass protest against the measures taken by the government in relation to the coronavirus took place in the afternoon in the Town Hall Square.

The event was attended by more than 500 people who are protesting the constitutionality of the government's measures. Protesters also spoke out against the use of the mask as well as the attempt to impose indirectly on the world to be vaccinated.

https://pafospress.com/pafos-mazikotati ... hUdugszg54
Kili01

Re: PAFOS: Massive protest against the measures - More than 500 people

Post by Kili01 »

Unfortunately, couldn't see any English translation. Maybe I missed something...
Anyway, I hope that they feel better after their demonstration.
Personalky, I'm inclined to support the 'measures' which are designed to try to drive down the number of cases. If we want to see flights returning to the airports again, its important to take care still.
According to my friend in the UK, the situation there with the new Indian variant is causing concern. It is reckoned to be 50% more infectious than the 'Kent' is. Also it may be resistant to the current vaccines.
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

What a pointless exercise.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Don't they get it? This country relies a lot on tourism. A lot of jobs (probably some of the demonstrators) are reliant on tourism. Whilst Cyprus may be welcoming tourists from many countries without many conditions, it may be the case that, because of the recent poor Covid statistics here, those same countries will apply difficult conditions on traveller's return, such as extensive retesting, imposed quarantine in hotels, all at the traveller's expense. So they will not come.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Problem with Boris is that he is often too slow to react, as has been proved time and again.
Plus he doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes.
Why was he ever elected in the first place.

Dee
Varky

Post by Varky »

Kili01 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:08 am Problem with Boris is that he is often too slow to react, as has been proved time and again.
Plus he doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes.
Why was he ever elected in the first place.
Dee
He was elected on the back of the "Lets get Brexit Done."
The success in the latest elections was on the back of the vaccine roll-out.
In both cases solely on single successes forgetting other social policies or mistakes made previously in the Covid campaign.
On TV I saw an interview with a voter who said that the Labour Party no longer represented the working class. I nearly choked on my cornflakes when I heard this,
I ask myself dis he really think that Boris and his cohorts really represent the working classes.
In my opinion, the UK electorate are easily duped. I expect better from them, but I am regularly disappointed.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Too much of Farage, Tommy Robinson and his ilk as well as Johnson and his passion for painting buses sold us all down the river.

Boris hates to back down on a decision, he's pig headed and will only do so as a last resort. By then, it's already too late and the damage is done.

Yesterday, an article seemed to indicate the Indian variant as yet, hasn't been marked as not being evasive to the current vaccines available nor any worse than the original virus - but, it's much faster at spreading
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
jeba

Post by jeba »

Kili01 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:08 am Why was he ever elected in the first place.
Because the alternative would have been Corbyn? That´s the impression I got as an outsider who isn´t really interested too much in British politics.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yes, that is exactly why. Plus, the majority of the voting public wanted to leave the EU. This is a fact lost on anybody with #FBPE in their twitter name. They want democracy, but only when their side wins. And that isn't democracy.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Excuse me, this topic is about the restrictions in Cyprus!
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

galexinda wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:54 am Excuse me, this topic is about the restrictions in Cyprus!
As happens in normal face to face conversation as well as on written forums, it's morphed!
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Morphed beyond recognition and of no interest to me, so I shall leave you all to discuss whatever you are discussing.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Well, given that you made the opening post without adding any of your own comment, you can't have found the subject matter that interesting yourself.
memory man

Post by memory man »

Dominic wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:23 pm Well, given that you made the opening post without adding any of your own comment, you can't have found the subject matter that interesting yourself.
Are you supposed to add a comment ?

Is it compulsory ?
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Given it's a discussion forum, rather than a newspaper actually writing some of your own content when sharing a linked article, may at least give way to opening a thread for discussion..... otherwise, it's a free for all giving no indication of your way of thinking.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

I suppose that the protestors viewpoint is based on the notion that, since no 'State of Emergency' was declared and that none of the measures have been approved by Parliament, then they are all in fact illegal. Covid19 is facilitating the operation of the Presidency and Council of Ministers outside of the Constitution on a daily basis.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

memory man wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:29 pm
Dominic wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:23 pm Well, given that you made the opening post without adding any of your own comment, you can't have found the subject matter that interesting yourself.
Are you supposed to add a comment ?

Is it compulsory ?
Not at all. I rarely do. But if I felt strongly enough to care about whether the thread had meandered off topic, I would have commented at the outset. Not to say "please keep on topic", but because I was particularly interested in the topic in hand.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

galexinda wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:54 am Excuse me, this topic is about the restrictions in Cyprus!
I often post topics or make comments on discussion forums and FB groups that may not necessarily be of interest to me but may be of interest or informative to other people.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

As do I. And sometimes, the people reading the thread go off on a tangent, and start talking about something else.