Cyprus Winter Fuel Payment

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
alewfin1

Cyprus Winter Fuel Payment

Post by alewfin1 »

We received our first winter fuel payment last year from the Cyprus government.

Does anyone know whether we have to apply again or whether it is paid automatically ?
glowred

Re: Cyprus Winter Fuel Payment

Post by glowred »

My understanding is that this year Non EU citizens will not be receiving it. Irritating as I pay tax and social insurance here.

Neil
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

You need to apply for it every year.
I am not sure if what Neil says is correct, where did you get that information from Neil?
David
glowred

Post by glowred »

When we initially applied last year we were told by the village secretary that we were not eligible but there was an intervention by the high commission stating that we were still EU citizens at the time and the application was allowed but we wouldn't recieve it the following year.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

That's a shame, thanks to all who live in Cyprus that voted leave :roll:
David
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Uncle D wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:06 pm That's a shame, thanks to all who live in Cyprus that voted leave :roll:
It seems to me that Brits can be very greedy, indeed. While thousands of people are on the streets in Britain, unable to find a place to rest their head, you get a load of Brits, living in luxury on a warm semi-tropical island, with their gimme, gimme, gimme cries. And I couldn't care less if you are legally entitled to it or not because, morally, you most certainly are not. SHAME!
boycott

Post by boycott »

Devil wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:28 pm
Uncle D wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:06 pm That's a shame, thanks to all who live in Cyprus that voted leave :roll:
It seems to me that Brits can be very greedy, indeed. While thousands of people are on the streets in Britain, unable to find a place to rest their head, you get a load of Brits, living in luxury on a warm semi-tropical island, with their gimme, gimme, gimme cries. And I couldn't care less if you are legally entitled to it or not because, morally, you most certainly are not. SHAME!
Will me and any other British person(s) not getting WFP assist or help or stop these so called thousands of people on the streets in Britain been unable to find a place to rest their head NO.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

boycott

Devil may not have put his statement across in the correct manner – But if your statement is justification for having the payment you need to take a long look at your attitude to others less fortunate than yourself – And your statement “  these so called thousands of people on the streets in Britain “ They do actually exist, You can step over them any night after about !0.00pm even to the side of Westminster Bridge a 100yards from the greediest people of all
glowred

Post by glowred »

It's not about the money for most people although there are some non cypriots that are struggling, it's about being treated equally in the country in which you live and pay your taxes. Not every expat has had the benefits of very well paid jobs and retiring on good pensions.

Neil
boycott

Post by boycott »

71 Trans Am wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:08 pm boycott

Devil may not have put his statement across in the correct manner – But if your statement is justification for having the payment you need to take a long look at your attitude to others less fortunate than yourself – And your statement “  these so called thousands of people on the streets in Britain “ They do actually exist, You can step over them any night after about !0.00pm even to the side of Westminster Bridge a 100yards from the greediest people of all
Thank you Trans Am, No I do not need to have a long look at my attitude to others who may or may not be less fortunate than myself. Who are you to tell me that I need to that? My opinion and if I so wish will vent it.

Also explain how it helps anyone, me or others not claiming what I/we are entitled to, those less fortunate can claim everything there are entitled to, so is it not right for me to do so?
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Boycott

Just because you are entitled to claim the payment does not mean you have to claim it living in a much warmer climate – You can’t claim it now anyway but if you could you would get a nice warm feeling inside if you donated the payment to one of the charities that look after the homeless. That would be much better wouldn’t it ?
boycott

Post by boycott »

71 Trans Am wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:22 pm Boycott

Just because you are entitled to claim the payment does not mean you have to claim it living in a much warmer climate – You can’t claim it now anyway but if you could you would get a nice warm feeling inside if you donated the payment to one of the charities that look after the homeless. That would be much better wouldn’t it ?
NO
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Aren’t we talking about the Cyprus Winter fuel payment? If so, it’s got nothing to do with UK. The Cypriot Government make this payment annually to Cypriots and EU citizens. Sadly this means that any Brits in a qualifying high altitude area will no longer get it along with the Russians, Chinese and all other third country nationals. Either way, the funds won’t go to the homeless in the UK.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
alewfin1

Post by alewfin1 »

Thank you mostly everybody.

Thanks Jeanne that makes it clear.

No more payments for us third country nationals.

Interestingly does anyone know whether EU nationals living in the UK get the British payments ?
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Devil wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:28 pm
I will hold my head high, looking over some of your posts your morals are nothing to be proud of at all
David
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:45 pm
Uncle D wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:06 pmThat's a shame, thanks to all who live in Cyprus that voted leave :roll:
Thank you for reminding me (groans all round). My wife went into the fish shop in Chloraka yesterday, on the RHS as you drive towards Peyia and Coral Bay on the coastal road. We buy Atlantic Cod, prawns, yellow smoked haddock and sole from there. The best around...the guy imports direct from Billingsgate Market.

Anyway, it really struck the wife how depleted all the freezers were. Much of the stuff my wife wanted wasn't available. When she asked why, he told her it was because of Brexit, he can't now buy in the stuff he wanted. He said "they really need to get it sorted". But as we all know, that won't be happening anytime soon, because Brexit can't be "sorted".

A week ago when my wife was shopping in M&S and enquired why so much of what she wanted was o/o/s, the lady there said "Brexit". Crows coming home to roost and all that.
I recall a while ago posted that you lived in the USA? How did you cope there without your home comforts from the country you left because you didn’t like it there? ;) :lol:
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

If you were eligible to receive your WFA from the UK prior to moving on a permanent basis to Cyprus, do you still receive the UK payment these days along with your UK Government pension?

Some UK pensioners were receiving payments from both quarters when we lived in Cyprus.

In any event, personally I feel any kind of additional payment such as this should be means tested and not a general rule of thumb.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The W F Allowance from the UK to people in Cyprus was stopped a few years ago.

But I see nothing at all wrong with someone resident here, and living in the colder / higher areas of Cyprus, receiving the W F A as others in the same location would be doing
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

It should be means tested, why should a Millionaire be given a few hundred euros, which he dosnt need to help heat his home,
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:08 pm The W F Allowance from the UK to people in Cyprus was stopped a few years ago.

But I see nothing at all wrong with someone resident here, and living in the colder / higher areas of Cyprus, receiving the W F A as others in the same location would be doing
If people want the benefits Cypriots get, then they should apply for Cypriot citizenship, You have to be a member of any club, to get the same benefits.