Unknown flight arrivals to Paphos

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Mark

Unknown flight arrivals to Paphos

Post by Mark »

A flight arrived 10 minutes ago from A city 60 km from Moscow, it did not show on the arrivals board, so assume its a charter, this has been a pattern over the last few weeks and concerns me greatly, what checks are made on our charter visitors? Where are they going and how will they affect our COVID cases?
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Unknown flight arrivals to Paphos

Post by Dominic »

I just phoned Putin and he told me that it is his baby sitter taking a well-earned break.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Have you been affected by the lock down, Happy?
Your recent posts seem to be more whinging than we would have expected from you.
WHL

Post by WHL »

I know were my award for the Biggest, ''Forum Whinger'' would go to, :lol: :lol: :lol:
WHL

Post by WHL »

Mark wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:59 pm A flight arrived 10 minutes ago from A city 60 km from Moscow, it did not show on the arrivals board, so assume its a charter, this has been a pattern over the last few weeks and concerns me greatly, what checks are made on our charter visitors? Where are they going and how will they affect our COVID cases?
Mate if that is the only thing that greatly concerns you, you aint doing to bad, :?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Noise from military aircraft over my part of Chloraka is very rare and only when there is a short term military exercise. I don't find it a problem. I think that the noise vehicles make on a busy main road is much more tiring. Any aircraft is traveling much faster, is always over the sea and the noise is only very short term.

Dee
Mark

Post by Mark »

Yet another flight, not a private jet arriving, I believe Rosiva airlines, again assume charter as not on the arrivals board, these flights are arriving on a daily basis, in the past the vast majority of flights showed on the arrivals board, not now.

Phone Putin again Dominic.

WHL, I am concerned by a large number of tourists from a country with a low vaccination rate.

HIC, checks are not done on all arrivals, this is an attempt to fill hotels, these are not private jets, but airliners, but I confess to having time on my hands.

Mouse, many of these arrivals will end up in Chloraka.

Are they the tourists Cyprus wants, will they help the local economy?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I don't believe that commercial airliners have afterburners. On and immediately after takeoff, while the aircraft is climbing to its correct flight level, the engines will be providing extra thrust ( I think that's the right term). But, as soon as it reaches a certain height, the Captain will throttle back on power to reduce noise.
Afterburners are likely on high performance military strike aircraft, which Cyprus doesn't have. Visiting strike squadrons from Israel or France for example only come to take part in military exercises usually with the Cypriot National Guard.

Don't know where you are living, Mark, is it near Timi or Anarita? You house must be very close to the airport to get such high noise levels.
Living in Chloraka, although aircraft fly over here ( or rather over the sea), I seldom notice any aircraft noise.

Dee
Mark

Post by Mark »

Where I live is irrelevant, I follow flight radar 24 which monitors all arrivals to Paphos airport, recently many flights from different parts of Russia are arriving without appearing on the arrivals board, which is the norm. They are all charter flights.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Putin called again. Apparently they are filming the latest episode of "Have Pelmeni Will Travel" in Cyprus, and the flights are mainly contestants and dumpling groupies.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Tanny, I wouldn't worry about flights in and out of Akrotiri, a British military airfield. You can rest assured that their flights will be also be monitored by the Cypriot ATC. Nicosia (FIR) which monitors the area surrounding Cyprus. All arriving flights have to contact this first, it gives permission to flights intending to land anywhere in S. Cyprus.
There is close cooperation between the RAF and civil aviation here.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:22 am Tanny, I wouldn't worry about flights in and out of Akrotiri, a British military airfield. You can rest assured that their flights will be also be monitored by the Cypriot ATC. Nicosia (FIR) which monitors the area surrounding Cyprus. All arriving flights have to contact this first, it gives permission to flights intending to land anywhere in S. Cyprus.
There is close cooperation between the RAF and civil aviation here.

Dee
No such place, as S. Cyprus, the Republic of Cyprus is the correct title, for someone who has lived many years in Cyprus, you come across as very uneducated regards even knowing,the name of Cyprus.
Paphos Pete

Post by Paphos Pete »

Mark wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:19 pm I follow flight radar 24 which monitors all arrivals to Paphos airport...
Unfortunately, this is not true, and is a known limitation of FR24 (and other flight tracking software) where flights have missing callsign information. You will see the same phenomena which ever airport you choose to monitor.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Our friends (who are Russian) have their daughter and grandkids visiting from Russia. They flew in from Samara and have been here twice in the last couple of months.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Well I learned what Pelmeni was, so it wasn't a total loss.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Poor Mark, he sounds agitated! But he has little to worry about if he stops checking Flight Radar!
Hopefully arriving passengers are enjoying the weather and are spending lots of time around their hotel pool.Specially if they are on AIl inclusive holidays.

Dee
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

We had AIS fitted on our yacht which gave its current position, very handy if in a busy shipping lane where otherwise some of the larger ships wouldn't even be aware of our presence due to their massive size and also when entering ports. However, in less busy circumstances we did not have it turned on and in fact in some areas were advised not to use it eg if the area was known to have 'pirates'.

However, many yachts do not even have AIS fitted so anyone monitoring the public tracking systems eg Marine Traffic would not be able to state accurately the number of private yachts arriving/departing at Limassol Marina.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Have also seen ships that also do not register on AIS even though they are seen with the naked eye.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:58 pm But all commercial air traffic will be using transponders, they do not have a choice. This is how ATC track and follow aircraft, no option to switch off.
Military aircraft OFTEN turn of transponders/AIS.
All things are possible
Paphos Pete

Post by Paphos Pete »

Sure, nobody is disputing that, but it isn't actually what we're talking about here; we're talking about the difference between what Mark can see on the flight board on FR24, and what is in the sky above (what commercial ATC can see), which are not the same.

FR24 is completely reliant upon accurate ADS-B data from aircraft (what someone called AIS, which is the system for marine traffic) to provide its information. ADS-B is reliable but not without issues if used in isolation. It is simply a datastring which is transmitted by equipped aircraft at regular intervals containing identifying information. It is a 'listen-only' system (receivable like any other radio broadcast), and therefore, suffers from the same issues as other broadcast radio (terrain, atmospheric conditions etc). If part of the string is incorrectly received, you either have to wait for the next time it is broadcast (usually a few seconds), or omit the data. FR24 tries to augment missing data using various techniques such using 'known' schedule data from airlines and airports, but this is not always accurate. FR24 is also mostly reliant on a network of public ADS-B receivers in the vicinity of the location you're wishing to track, and the vast majority of these are owned by amateurs pushing data to the FR24 servers. Therefore, if there aren't many in your area (as I suspect is the case around Paphos), cover can be sketchy.

Commercial ATC also uses ADS-B, but it also uses primary and secondary surveillance radar. Primary radar provides live accurate positional situational awareness, and secondary surveillance radar is particularly important, as it allows the system to interrogate aircraft directly. When requested, the target aircraft transponder replies to signals from an interrogator (usually, but not necessarily, a ground station co-located with a primary radar) by transmitting a coded reply signal containing the requested information. Therefore, ATC can 'ask' specific aircraft for information. This data is used together with the primary radar data and ADS-B, to create a complete picture for ATC so that their flight board is accurate. When an aircraft is not broadcasting ADS-B and ignoring ground secondary surveillance radar requests is when the air force get involved an go up and have a 'look'.

This is why you will always find discrepancies between FR24 (or any other flight tracking app) and what is actually in the sky at any one time.