Coffee Machine

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Yogi

Re: Coffee Machine

Post by Yogi »

I had a Tassimo in the UK and loved the coffee and the many choices. I have one in Cyprus but the coffee is made by Jacobs and not really to my taste, presumably and understandably aimed at the Cypriot taste. Also the choices available are more limited. Hope this helps
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I'm happy with my filter coffee maker and the coffee I get from Lidl and other supermarkets. Occasionally I will even make myself some proper Cypriot coffee!
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Royal

Re: Coffee Machines

Post by Royal »

We use a Nescafe Dolce Gusto machine and pods and can highly recommend them. The pods are freely available in Paps, Alpha Mega and other supermarkets here.

We usually keep a supply of Expresso, Cortado, Mocha, Latte and Cappucino pods.

In addition, we still like filter coffee now and again using a cafetière. In this case, we get our coffee beans (100% arabica) from Lidl and grind them ourselves.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Royal wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:01 pm We use a Nescafe Dolce Gusto machine and pods and can highly recommend them. The pods are freely available in Paps, Alpha Mega and other supermarkets here.

In addition, we still like filter coffee now and again using a cafetière. In this case, we get our coffee beans (100% arabica) from Lidl and grind them ourselves.
+1 for Dolce Gusto...
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

For me nothing can beat the Nespresso machine and the different coffees. Must say I buy the coffee cups in Holland. Also their decaffeinated coffee cups are very very good.
Louise :)
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Diferent pod shape. Both make great coffee though. I just felt that they were expensive, and didn't deliver a cup as hot as I liked. Plus there is a lot of waste.
WHL

Post by WHL »

My wife buys them because she likes George Clooney.. :(
JimX

Post by JimX »

For me, it has to be self-ground coffee from beans, filtered of course through a paper filter coffee machine, I have tried just about all including freeze dried type and pods, but freshly ground is my idea of good coffee.

A bit of a faff grinding your own coffee beans but the effort is worth the end results.

A trick I have found is to keep ground coffee in the freezer, not the fridge in a sealed container.
Last edited by JimX on Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

We have the Tassimo machine too, we treated ourselves to one we moved back to UK. They're selling in a number of places here at the moment for just under £40 and the packs of pods are anything from £3.50 to about £5 max. All depending on where you shop and what offers are on...

Very happy with it and very easy to use. The hot chocolate pods sometimes cause a problem (it's happened with us twice so far) in that the powder must clog up and it overflows the pod..... Since then, I make sure I give the pod a quick tap on the kitchen worktop and a good shake before inserting it into the machine and it's worked perfectly every time since then.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Dolce Gusto, love it!
JimX

Post by JimX »

Not really Lloyd as actually, I am the only person in our home that drinks coffee, to be honest, I do not find grinding beans any problem rather therapeutic and the effort if it is that is no problem for me as I have all day now.

Remember that tin of freeze dried coffee I brought around to your office? I did use that make for some time, but in the end, back to that grinder, I did not like Pods and I tried most makes that fitted my machine.

I always think what do coffee cafes use, beans, of course, every time, and I know convenience is not the name of the game but coffee at it's best is I feel.

A matter of course of choice as always.
Jim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:06 pm Yes Louise, I remember you once kindly brought some Nespresso back from Holland for me, where they are cheaper. For convenience I now buy from the Nespresso store in Limassol. They won't discount, but I always manage to wangle a few freebies from them to compensate.

Last July we went into the Nespresso store in Maastricht. It was a massive store and hugely popular. Over the years I've tried most Nespresso crues, but always come back to Ristretto, which I believe is their most popular crue.

Wife doesn't drink coffee, so grinding beans and filtering coffee for just one person is out of the question. And I love Nespresso anyway.
I chill the leftover coffee in a filter jug. It doesn't get wasted then.
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

I'm on my second upgraded Tassimo machine, I buy most of the pods from Amazon.

I also grind my own beans fresh each time and use a cafetière.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Ney!! :D but what is the best method Lloyd?, I think like your good self I stay with my self-grind way, cheaper too.
Jim.
chris_larnaca

Post by chris_larnaca »

Royal wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:01 pm We use a Nescafe Dolce Gusto machine and pods and can highly recommend them. The pods are freely available in Paps, Alpha Mega and other supermarkets here.

We have on of these, both in Cyprus and the UK, we use Latte and Cappucino pods; much more convenient than filter coffer, but more expensive :shock:

Chris
The greatest adventure you can have is to live the life of your dreams.
memory man

Post by memory man »

Thanks for the heads up HIC
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I make my Filter coffee every morning 100% arabica two large mugs. This sets me up for the day. Later at around 11.00hrs, we use the Tassimo and I usually have the Capachino.
All things are possible
JimX

Post by JimX »

For David

I have always used a filter machine, grind my own coffee beans I dislike instant coffee, I'm no coffee snob but you use a method you prefer, recently I purchased a Pod machine the make is an Italian Lavazza machine, stupidly you cannot buy the pods for this machine on Cyprus, so I send for them via Amazon De this make the pods very expensive, I still prefer my filter machine but have to say the Lavazza makes fantastic Cappuccino that we also use with a hot milk throffing machine, more like a pudding than a coffee. :P
Jim.
Jamboal

Post by Jamboal »

David, Cyprus coffee is easy to make. I have an electric briki (Cypriot coffee pot) but it’s the same to make in a stove top. Put a heaped teaspoon of Cyprus coffee per cup in the pot I use ΛΑΙΚΟΥ (in gold packs from all supermarkets), if required add sugar one level teaspoon per cup for medium or two for sweet, add a Cypriot coffee cup of water per cup, begin heating the briki and continually stir until the coffee begins to froth, once bubbles appear remove from heat and pour sharing the foam head between the cups. It’s very quick to make, hope you enjoy it.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

David Brown wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:49 pm Could someone tell me how to make a genuine cyprus coffee?
I learned in the early 70" when I visited Cyprus first at Kyrenia how to prepare a good Cypriot coffee. It is similar to the way "Jamboal" just explained but with some important modifications. The best and fair result is when you only cook one coffee at a time as the froth is very important and not easy to divide into two cups. To achieve that, one uses only the small briki which you fill with exactly the amount of a Cypriot coffee cup and add 1 heaped teaspoon of Laiki coffee and 1 spoon of sugar (for metrio) and stir it before heating it up. You then wait until the froth comes to the top and quickly add a small amount of cold water letting the froth go down. Then back to the heat and when froth is on the brink to overflow remove from the stove and pour into a cup. As it is more time consuming it is very rare to get a Greek coffee prepared this way in a coffee shop or tavern nowadays..

Max