Bar and restaurant owners say patience wearing thin

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Bar and restaurant owners say patience wearing thin

Post by memory man »

The association of owners of recreation centres (Pasika) will not accept any post-lockdown extensions to restaurant closures, and disagree with suggested new rules due to go into effect from May 10, general secretary Fanos Leventis said on Tuesday.

The current lockdown is set to end on May 9, after which the health minister mooted that the public must present a vaccination certificate, a negative test or proof that they were ill with the virus in the past three months to enter catering sites, places where people gather, gyms, retail outlets, theatres etc.

“We cannot even fathom the possibility of our industry remaining closed for longer,” he told the Cyprus News Agency, saying that business owners have exceeded their limits and endurance.

Recreation centre owners expect the industry to reopen with little to no restrictions, particularly when talking about limits on operating hours and the number of customers they are allowed to serve, he added.

He reiterated that the association’s strong disagreement with any rules going into force after May 10, which he has previously called “unenforceable,” although adding that the association’s board is trying to avoid conflicts with the state.

Earlier in the day, president of the recreation centres association (Osika) Neophytos Thrasyvoulou said that priority should be given to vaccinating employees in the sector to help pave the way for reopening cafés and restaurants.

“From the latest statements of the finance minister it is clear that any support measures for business owners for the month of April will be the last,” Thrasyvoulos added.

This, he continued, means the government must concentrate on vaccinations for those working in the industry and thus support groups completely dependent on the tourism industry.

“We demand the reopening of our businesses in healthy conditions that allow them to operate without closures.

“It should be noted we are consulting scientists on pandemic issues, but also legal advisors on similar matters,” Leventis concluded.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/05/04/coro ... ring-thin/
CYWALL

Re: Bar and restaurant owners say patience wearing thin

Post by CYWALL »

When the time comes I100% support mandatory vacations for everyone. If They don't want one they should be forced to have one!
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

'Except for the competent Inspector or the Police, no person has the right to ask a citizen for any certificate, either to be allowed to enter a place, or for any other purpose'.

https://www.pio.gov.cy/%CE%B1%CE%BD%CE% ... Qbq78#flat
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

CYWALL wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:52 am When the time comes I100% support mandatory vacations for everyone. If They don't want one they should be forced to have one!
I assume that autocorrected from vaccinations to vacations?! Otherwise you'd be killed in the stampede for free holidays!
cactus

Post by cactus »

I wish I could have a vaccination. I'm 61 and have Rheumatoid Arthritis and I'm still waiting for my turn. There seems to be such a drive to vaccinate people who don't want it that those of us who do are being left behind. It will be very difficult for my household if it transpires that, because I can't get the vaccine, next week I will be unable to buy food, go to work or walk my dogs.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

cactus wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:07 pm I wish I could have a vaccination. I'm 61 and have Rheumatoid Arthritis and I'm still waiting for my turn. There seems to be such a drive to vaccinate people who don't want it that those of us who do are being left behind. It will be very difficult for my household if it transpires that, because I can't get the vaccine, next week I will be unable to buy food, go to work or walk my dogs.
I am still waiting to see how that rule starting next week will work in practice .. As you say if you are not vaccinated how do you live ..
Trev..
cactus

Post by cactus »

I don't want to make a nuisance of myself at the local medical centre but I am now really at the end of my tether. I will pop in again this afternoon and beg. Again. I will be told, I expect, that I will be contacted at a later date. Goodness it is frustrating! Particularly when so many people have turned down their opportunity. I have actually had the blasted virus but unfortunately recovered from it just outside the time limit allowed. Can't win! And I am sure that last sentence doesn't make sense ........
WHL

Post by WHL »

CYWALL wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:52 am When the time comes I100% support mandatory vacations for everyone. If They don't want one they should be forced to have one!
Im all for people vaccinating, but forcing people, ??? Nah a nasty little man with a dodgy moustache tried going down that route, years ago, not for me, cheers
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Forcing people would be a disaster.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
andytspencer

Post by andytspencer »

Thought you were offering vacations for everybody - great idea much better than furlough
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

cactus wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:07 pm I wish I could have a vaccination. I'm 61 and have Rheumatoid Arthritis and I'm still waiting for my turn. There seems to be such a drive to vaccinate people who don't want it that those of us who do are being left behind. It will be very difficult for my household if it transpires that, because I can't get the vaccine, next week I will be unable to buy food, go to work or walk my dogs.
If you cannot produce a vaccination certificate then the alternatives are a negative test or proof that they were ill with the virus in the past three months.

However the test is only valid for 72 hours!

There have been at least two opportunities for those aged 61 years to book an appointment, the most recent being last weekend.
CYWALL

Post by CYWALL »

WHL wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:39 pm
Im all for people vaccinating, but forcing people, ??? Nah a nasty little man with a dodgy moustache tried going down that route, years ago, not for me, cheers
:lol:
CYWALL

Post by CYWALL »

Dominic wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:40 pm Forcing people would be a disaster.
:lol:
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

I would suggest that any talk of such measures is highly unworkable and potentially illegal. Having said that, without a declared 'State of Emergency', all of the Cypriot Governments Covid measures are technically illegal since they are all based on Decrees and not ratified by Parliament. Apparently there is a particular Law firm in Limassol that is having a roaring trade in getting 'fines' cancelled due to their illegality.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

If I were the authorities I wouldn't go into the premises, just do random checks outside for a while as people leave and move on.
Just as they do with the radar traps or checking that people have SMS permission to go out.
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

How would you do that?
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

The bars and restaurant should offer 30% discount for people that show proof of their vaccinations 😉😄
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

HIC - Your earlier diatribe beginning 'This nonsense has gone on long enough....' and coming up with 'Let's just keep vaccinating people and everything will be OK' shows a rather simplistic approach to a complex situation.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Cyprus Mail has been going downhill for a while now.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

If you look at the latest stats, 31.9% have been vaccinated with the first dose of the vaccine.

84.8% of those aged 80 years and over 80.5% of the age group of 70-79 years, and 58.4% of the age group of 60-69 years old were vaccinated at least 1 the dose.

No figures yet for the 50s and 40s, but it is surprising how few of the people in their sixties have had the vaccine.

This is why, I think, the Government are introducing the latest scheme. It is designed to give the waverers a reason to get vaccinated.

Incidentally, do any of the anti-vax people smoke? I wonder how they rationalise their smoking with their unwillingness to get vaccinated?