The New Paphos

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
jagwheels

The New Paphos

Post by jagwheels »

As Paphos is joining in the Capital of Culture I am a bit disappointed at not seeing the progress on this forum. Perhaps a few photos particularly of the market area would be great for us grocos (perhaps the wrong word) that Jim affectionately referred to us tourists at times

PS I am sure Jim will correct any error in my post
smudger

Re: The New Paphos

Post by smudger »

Think it's grokells Norv, tho not sure of the spelling!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I'm not actually sure what you mean. I did a blog a while ago about the Old Old Paphos. The New Old Paphos has yet to emerge, as anybody trying to drive up the lower part of the B7 will testify.

My next blog will be on murals to be found in Paphos. That might keep you going for a bit.

If you want specific areas featured, by all means ask. However, I know several places in Paphos that could qualify as market areas, so it would help if you could be as specific as possible.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Well I hope you've all been asking for and using the €0,64c Cyprus stamps to commemorate this momentous occasion!

"Have Camera, Will Travel"
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Lifesabeach thank you but in response to Dominics question "I'm not actually sure what you mean"

Last year when we visited the market in Old Paphos there was a lot of transformation happening. I spoke to some smallholders who seemed unsure of there future. That aside how is the work progressing.?
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Lifesabeach wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:35 pm Tried to post a photo but have no idea how to do it! I tried 'search' on the Forum but nothing came up. Sorry I don't want to hijack this thread.
I've posted a few photos here on PL, but it seems you have to link them from another web source host server.. Seems a bit dopey to me, TBH!

Dom- why can we not apparently upload a photo directly from our PC media to your PL host server in a post, please?

Also @ Dom: In Advance Mode posting, you have a [Save draft] button. Can this be automated every 1 minute, please? This would help us dopey old gits from:

1. Spending 30 to 60 minutes building a post, including photo links
2. Pressing [Preview] and thinking YES! It works!
3. Then stupidly clicking another button rather than [Submit]

and losing the whole effing lot!! Grrrr.... TWICE I've managed that this week, fcs

Cheers- AL :?:
Gone but not forgotten...
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

You can post a photo directly from your computer..... it doesn't have to be hosted elsewhere but to be totally honest, that is the simplest method

Do it using the Full Editor and Preview button from below where you write your forum post.
Look for the "Upload Attachment" (below the field where you type your forum post.
Browse: for the location where you saved your photo and choose the file you want to upload - but remember, there is a maximum size to add your photos (1024 pixels is the largest dimension length or width) but there is also a max mb size too, I forget what it is - and that's why I post mine from where my photos are hosted. Otherwise it's too much of a faff!
If your photo fits all the above criteria ;-) click on Add the File (you can add the name you want to call it in the "File Comment" field should you wish. (see the example below)

Then click "Place inline" - (put your cursor where you want the photo to display).
Cittaslow Member Towns of North Cyprus
Cittaslow Member Towns of North Cyprus
Cittaslow Member Towns of Northern Cyprus.jpg (43.73 KiB) Viewed 5447 times
Simples!
No, I don't think it's so simple either..... there's got to be an easier way than this!
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Sun setting at anchor.jpg
Sun setting at anchor.jpg (47.44 KiB) Viewed 5442 times
I have just selected one of my photo's and here it is easy. :D
All things are possible
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The image uploading facility is the same as it is on any other phpBB forum. It is built into the software. Before posting an image, you should shrink it to max size 1024x1024 pixels. There are numerous sites that will do this for you if you don't know how. You should also make sure that it is less than about 250k in size.

As Lincoln says, the process is actually easy.

This clip might help.

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

jagwheels wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:55 pm Lifesabeach thank you but in response to Dominics question "I'm not actually sure what you mean"

Last year when we visited the market in Old Paphos there was a lot of transformation happening. I spoke to some smallholders who seemed unsure of there future. That aside how is the work progressing.?
Well, if you look at the Old Old Paphos blog, you will see how the work was progressing three months ago.

https://www.paphoslife.com/blog/old_old_paphos

Since then, the main road above Kennedy Square has got a lot more challenging, and the area around the old market is still a building site. When there is more to report, I will report it with relish. However, until then, you will have to put up with some nice murals.

Incidently, that blog is the most popular one I have posted, which kind of surprises me every time I look at the stats. So believe you me, as soon as there is something new to report, I will be doing so!
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Many thanks for your replies but my original question is getting lost in your enthusiasm. Guess I will have to wait for Dominics murals but some members are interested in other aspects of Pathos progress

On our first visit to the Athena Beach, pavements were non existent. Each year it became more deeoloped & much more pleasant

So what does the Market in Old town Paphos look like today?
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Pathos.... was that a deliberate slip of the tongue / fingers?
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

jagwheels wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:58 pm Many thanks for your replies but my original question is getting lost in your enthusiasm. Guess I will have to wait for Dominics murals but some members are interested in other aspects of Pathos progress

On our first visit to the Athena Beach, pavements were non existent. Each year it became more deeoloped & much more pleasant

So what does the Market in Old town Paphos look like today?
My Wife is working on Sunday so I will get a chance to go up to the Old Market & will take a few photos to satisfy your curiosity!

Shane
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Thank you Shane & I look forward to whatever you come up with & I don't think I am alone in my curiesty :D
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We too avoid that area as much as possible.. The trip from Polemi to the Harbour area is much better done via Debenham's roundabout

Trev..
Trev..
JimX

Post by JimX »

To all living away from Cy just to say the town is a real mess, one-way systems that are very confusing even for us locals, parking to take photos is almost impossible,Norv get on a jet and come and see just what is happening in the old town, it will look good no doubt one day but not now, and I do feel for those trying to make a living from town shops, a nightmare for them all.

I find posting photos easy, just a little practice and an online storage, if you use your post uploading via the photo file system just make sure the file is not too big, about 600 pix 800 works well.

This is a mono colour shot off the internet via the add file system as posted on all pHpBB forums.

More here... https://www.google.com.cy/search?q=paph ... 5wZy0WBrGM:
Attachments
paphos-rebuild.jpg
paphos-rebuild.jpg (140.36 KiB) Viewed 4875 times
Jim.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

All the above photo's are so way out of date. It is finished where those shots were taken and now looks fantastic.
All things are possible
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Indeed. Kennedy Square now looks like this:

Our Kennedy Square Blog

And the shots I took three months ago of the area can be found here:

Last look at Old Old Paphos

Be more adventurous on the site. If you haven't yet looked at the blogs, take a gander.

Here's one of the Kennedy Square images:
01_kennedy_square.jpg
01_kennedy_square.jpg (140.98 KiB) Viewed 4862 times
And here's a couple of the Old town.
34_road_up.jpg
34_road_up.jpg (219.1 KiB) Viewed 4862 times
Road is still up
25_further.jpg
25_further.jpg (122.46 KiB) Viewed 4862 times
When finished it will look like this!

For lots more images, use the links above.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Sadly, looking at the updated photos I feel a lot of the character has been lost. I wish a more sympathetic renovation more in keeping with the original elements had been used.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The original elements were of decay.
urban.jpg
urban.jpg (145.54 KiB) Viewed 2842 times