St. George's day 23rd April

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
bmwx5

St. George's day 23rd April

Post by bmwx5 »

Very good article in today's Daily Mail by Richard Littlejohn. Happy St George's day to you all.
Lincoln

Re: St. George's day 23rd April

Post by Lincoln »

Flag of ENGLAND.jpg
Flag of ENGLAND.jpg (35.87 KiB) Viewed 3243 times
Happy St. Georges Day
All things are possible
El tel

Post by El tel »

As bmw posted an excellent article by littlejohn sums up today’s attitudes. Be careful not to celebrate too much or the ethnic minorities ( Scottish and Welsh ) will accuse us of imperialism and colonialism. :-)

Mind how you go. Terry
WHL

Post by WHL »

I know a lot of Cypriots we be celebrating today, have a great name day, all the George/Georgia's, if you know any, make sure you say to them, na zissis , wishing them long life.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Still baffles me why we are inundated with reminders of St.Patricks Day and St. David but the MSM do not mention George at all.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Happy St. George's day all!
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Happy St. George's Day from me too.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Diocletian wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:11 am Still baffles me why we are inundated with reminders of St.Patricks Day and St. David but the MSM do not mention George at all.
That's easy. The Scots and Irish choose to celebrate it, the English don't. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the mainstream media. A bunch of Paddies anywhere in the world don't need the MSM to brief them on celebrating St Patricks Day. They will do so quite happily on their own. Whereas the English papers can be full of people asking why St Georges Day isn't celebrated, as it is every year, and yet the English won't bother to celebrate it. Why? They can't be arsed. Simple as that.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

Beg to differ Dominic , I and my ex pat colleagues celebrated St. Georges every year in remote places were we worked and also at home but it is correct the media down play it no mention on many mainstream outlets... As it says in Richard Littlejohns very good article its almost as if we are embarrassed to be English !!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Really? What do you do?

I've never known anybody throw a St George's Day party in England.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

I know loads of people that arrange social things to do on this day. My Neice got married on it some years ago and there where lots of references to the date.
I have attended party's for it and people dress up as knights etc and of course there is always a maiden and a dragon, sometimes it's a T Rex lol
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Clearly we move in different circles.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Diocletian wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:28 pm I know loads of people that arrange social things to do on this day. My Neice got married on it some years ago and there where lots of references to the date.
I have attended party's for it and people dress up as knights etc and of course there is always a maiden and a dragon, sometimes it's a T Rex lol
Were these parties held in dimly lit Dungeons ?, with lots tying up involved ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Dominic wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:25 pm Really? What do you do?

I've never known anybody throw a St George's Day party in England.
I totally agree, growing up and living in England for 50 years and living/working in various parts of the country I have never known any fuss being made about St Georges day up until maybe the last 10 years or so.
Of course the excuse for it not being celebrated because it may upset Johnny foreigner is now being used but never in the 1960s, 70s etc,
If its so important why isnt there a national holiday?
:roll:
David
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Ever since I started work, a good few years ago now, I always wore a red rose on St George's Day. Since I moved to Cyprus I confess that I have not.

Maybe I will start again next year.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

If you Google " Images for st georges day celebrations " you will see numerous areas in England have had and did celebrate St Georges day. Even West Ham United hold a celebration.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

So what did all you do to celebrate St George's Day? Clearly you knew it was on, but nobody has posted any pictures of their St George's Day party, albeit it, a socially distanced one, I hope.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:22 pm So what did all you do to celebrate St George's Day? Clearly you knew it was on, but nobody has posted any pictures of their St George's Day party, albeit it, a socially distanced one, I hope.
Saw my neighbour George weeding his garden across the road, so I popped across and wished him, chronia polla, and in return he gave ma a couple of his wifes, very tasty flaounes in return,
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

In the UK we aren't allowed parties.