Paphos Hotels

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
wilky

Paphos Hotels

Post by wilky »

On a walk yesterday I noticed the hotels along Paphos front are getting ready for visitors pools getting filled sunbeds out front 3 hotels have already got visitors must be from Russia going by how white they are not a mask in sight even the staff not wearing them.
WHL

Re: Paphos Hotels

Post by WHL »

wilky wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:25 pm On a walk yesterday I noticed the hotels along Paphos front are getting ready for visitors pools getting filled sunbeds out front 3 hotels have already got visitors must be from Russia going by how white they are not a mask in sight even the staff not wearing them.
Why would you need a mask, lying on a sunbed, out side in the open?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I drove down the sea front today, and most people were wearing masks. I have the film to prove it too. :D
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
lotus

Post by lotus »

Maybe Wilky was talking about people mingling close together at the outside bar etc,and surely staff should wear a mask,fair enough you probably don't need a mask lying on a sun bed as long as they are spaced accordingly
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I'm surprised about that. When we stayed at a good Paphos hotel at Christmas, the hotel was insistent about all health regs being observed. Particularly masks worn by both staff and guests.

Dee
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Currently, hotel guests do not need a mask as when by a pool. It’s very clear in the travel protocols on Visit Cyprus, FlightPass and PIO so nobody should be surprised if they see people not wearing them by the pool or bar areas if you’re down that way.

At least the tourists appear to be reading the rules as they apply to them. Extract copied and pasted below for those not familiar with the guidelines current guidelines:

“ e. Use of masks is compulsory in all indoor areas (taxis, buses, diving/safari jeeps, lifts, theatres, malls, etc.) and outdoor public places. Areas where people are seated whilst consuming food and beverage are excluded (restaurants, coffee- shops, bars, snack-bars, lobby bars, etc.). Also exempted are beaches, swimming pools and instances where persons are exercising. In any case, travelers should always consult the Visit Cyprus website for the latest information on this matter, as procedures are likely to change at very short notice.”

We were in the harbour area on Saturday evening and I’d say 95% of those walking along the front were wearing masks which was good to see. Disappointed to read that milky saw staff without masks though, bar staff etc should be wearing them. Haven’t checked this but in detail, but if they were doing certain types of work, construction perhaps, I think there are exemptions depending onproximity with co-workers.
Ian
wilky

Post by wilky »

The local press today say 12 Paphos hotels full of Russian and Israeli tourists despite lockdown looks like they intend to fill the hotels.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I have been in Paps at the harbour this morning and it was noticeably busier than in the recent past..
The roads in General were reasonably quiet, but I did see a number of 'Red Plates' about..
Trev..
Tuppence

Post by Tuppence »

According to this announcement on 26th April https://www.pio.gov.cy/en/press-release ... 19888#flat Russia is in the red category & remains so in the latest announcement taking effect from Thursday.
I thought only Cypriots & residents were allowed here from red categorised countries?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, but Cypriot hotels are desperate for clients to fill their hotels. But I hope that letting unvaccinated people in from countries such as Russia won't backfire on Cyprus's own efforts to vaccinate as many as possible towards gaining herd immunity and lowering the number of covid cases here.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I think that it will backfire on Cyprus, I'm sure that if British tourists are aware that they may share hotel accommodation with tourists from red countries, they will think twice before visiting.

If, as a consequence, Cyprus is flagged up as red by the UK as a result, that will be a huge blow to it's economy for a second year.

Quite frankly I'm amazed that the Cypriot Government has allowed this.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
wilky

Post by wilky »

The special permit for Russians has been available since April 4th according to Doros Takkas of the Cyprus Hotel Association because they cannot go to Turkey or Egypt.Surely only the Cyprus Government could give such a permit.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

There does seem to be certain lack of joined up thinking in Govt circles where handling the Pandemic here is concerned now. Could it be because politicians minds are increasingly focused of the elections which are due at the end of this month?

Dee
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

If anything I think the politicians should have got their act together over the Covid situation so that people are more likely to re-elect them than the meandering path they have taken in the past few months.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, I agree. But here politicians seem more inclined to cover their backs than to make decisions....
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

galexinda wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:34 pm If anything I think the politicians should have got their act together over the Covid situation so that people are more likely to re-elect them than the meandering path they have taken in the past few months.
I certainly wasn't expecting such a huge change from this week to next - certainly makes Cyprus a more attractive destination for visitors and residents to enjoy.