Weight of cordless vacuum cleaners ...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
MacManiac

Weight of cordless vacuum cleaners ...

Post by MacManiac »

We have been looking at cordless vacuum cleaners (to replace our venerable Miele cat & dog) and we have decided that we must source one from Cyprus. I did a lot of research and we liked the look of the Shark cordless vacuums. However YouTube video reviews stress the weight of the vacuum (4.1 Kg) and most of that at the top of the handle where the motor/battery is situated. Many reviewers say how sore their arms and shoulders get after use.

I have looked at other makes. Dyson make lighter cordless vacuums but at eye-watering prices. I wonder whether anyone has experience of lighter cordless vacuum cleaners at a non-Dyson price and that are available in Cyprus. The whole Brexit complication of VAT and import taxes puts us off completely from buying from the UK. Amazon quite often will not supply these items because of battery issues.
trevnhil

Re: Weight of cordless vacuum cleaners ...

Post by trevnhil »

We have a Shark Cordless around 3 or 4 years old.. The weight is not a problem because when vacuuming the floor a lot of the weight is on the two little wheels on the 'head'.. We do find we have to empty the container after every use and sometimes during a long vacuuming spell.. But I can see your point about the weight if you are using it to clean wall to ceiling joints for example..
Trev..
memory man

Post by memory man »

The Karcher seems to be pretty lightweight.

https://www.kaercher.com/us/home-garden ... aners.html
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

trevnhil wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:31 pm We have a Shark Cordless around 3 or 4 years old.. The weight is not a problem because when vacuuming the floor a lot of the weight is on the two little wheels on the 'head'.. We do find we have to empty the container after every use and sometimes during a long vacuuming spell.. But I can see your point about the weight if you are using it to clean wall to ceiling joints for example..
That was what my darling wife was concerned about. We might have to compromise and any cleaning of wall to ceiling joints would be my responsibility.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Also bear in mind that when you re doing the ceiling / wall area you do NOT have the motorised 'head' of the vacuum attached, just a nozzle so it is lighter..
Trev..
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

I'm also interested in a lightweight cordless vacuum. Where’s a good store to check them out please.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I have a Grundig cordless vacuum cleaner which I saw when it was a special offer from... LIDL, about 6 months ago. Typical of German made products it does what I wanted, as its a very efficient cleaner with good suction. Its quite light to handle, especially if you detach the heavier handle and floor part to use it as a hand held tool.
They may have them again.

Dee
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

We bought a Bosch Serie 6 because of its very light weight. It performs pretty well. Got it at CMC just up the Mesogi Road from th big junction. The have a good range of products so probably worth a look, We buy most of our electrical stuff from them now.
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Thanks to all for your helpful comments and suggestions. My wife has decided we shall go with the Shark cordless and I can handle the above floor-level work.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Well done for making the decision.. I was pleasantly surprised at the 'manoeuvrability of the floor section .. And the one we have has a joint in the middle of the stem / wand, that bends to clean under the bed
Trev..
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

I purchased a shark cordless last month replacing the dyson I really have no complaints much prefer it in all ways
Happy hoovering MacManiac
Kia Picanto

Post by Kia Picanto »

I also recommend the Shark cordless vacuum cleaners. Wouldn't be without mine. Bought it from AO.com. However, I'm in the UK. In Cyprus, I use a 'Robot' vacuum cleaner (made by Vax - not sure whether they still make them). I click the remote control, close the bedroom door, and let it do it's job. It's pretty good for a 'light' vacuuming, though of course, no good for stairs, so last year, I bought a Lidl cordless. A good price, does what it's supposed to, including stairs. I doubt it's going to last for 25 years, like my Mum's old Hoover did, (how heavy that was!) but they're cheap enough to replace.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

For anyone interested! I have just seen that Lidl have the Grundig cordless vacuum cleaner again on offer from 30.04 in their stores. Very good vacuum performance, am pleased with mine.
Priced at €99.99

Dee
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Just to report we ordered a Shark Cordless vacuum on Friday. Delivered free to the door this morning. Very impressed with communication from the company.

https://sharkclean.com.cy/
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't know they had a company in Cyprus
Trev..
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

We’ve had our Shark cordless vacuum for ten days now and I thought I would report back. It has transformed our cleaning schedule. Easy to manoeuvre and the ability to vacuum under the beds and low tables means a lot less effort. Using it as a handheld vacuum has been simple. My wife was concerned about the weight but has no problems wielding the machine. And, to cap it all, we sold our Miele Cat & Dog on the same day we advertised it.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Well Done Mac, and thanks for the report. I was quite impressed about the manoeuvrability of the cleaner. We have a dog so it collects a lot of dog hairs quickly.. This means we have to empty the bin container each time we use it. Keep an eye on the filters, they soon get clogged with the dust we have here..
Trev..
kansas

Post by kansas »

We bought a Gtech from Amazon UK in December. So far, so good.