Are Cyprus Covid Cases Really Rising ?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
71 Trans Am

Are Cyprus Covid Cases Really Rising ?

Post by 71 Trans Am »

If you scroll down the page on this link the daily updates seem to show that the overall trend is that the cases are going up.

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/ ... rmed-cases
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Are Cyprus Covid Cases Really Rising ?

Post by Dominic »

That data is meaningless, as it doesn't take into account the number of tests performed, nor who was tested. If you are doing track and trace, you will get a greater proportion of positives than if you are testing random samples. But more importantly than that, over 50,000 a day are now getting tested, so of course you are going to get more positives.

A better gauge, and one the papers do give most times, is the percentage positive. This was above 1% a while ago, but has now dropped back down to below 1%.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Very difficult to get a true picture of what is happening - All the available information is different and the individual countries governments seem to control the data anyway - In the early days of the virus some countries even denied that they had problem .

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ry/cyprus/
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The results today were actually pretty bad, with a percent positive over 1% again.

This is the most important measure though: the state of the hospitals. Provided they can cope, the deaths and severe cases are managed. The situation is getting critical again though, according to this:

https://www.paphoslife.com/news/coronav ... re_to_help
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

However you look at it the report says.. "Admissions have been steadily rising in recent days with state hospitals treating a record 228 coronavirus patients on Tuesday."
We know first hand that this is the reason that other surgery is being cancelled..
Trev..
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

The economy in Chloraka must be booming. We do not rely on tourist. All the pubs are heaving as are the coffee shops. Gud ere innit.
All things are possible
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The only stat that matters is hospital capacity.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

It is not very often that I agree with HiC but this is one of those occasions. It strikes me that the one overarching concern of most Governments is the potential for their health services to be overrun. This just goes to exposing the fact that as States, we need to invest more in health care and hospitals.
It has always been odd to me that the death tally is made up of people who had a positive test within 28 days but this excludes the real cause of death. It may have been a car crash or something!

Any way you look at it, the economies have crashed for a very small fatality rate.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

As I said before, a booming economy will result in a booming number of deaths, as businessmen move about and contact each other more and more. The result will be that business will start to stagnate and then drop, as the virus spreads. Then, where will we be? HIC, please look a bit farther than the end of your nose; it's your business that will suffer, not mine!
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

The more tests there are the better the demographic picture and as Dominic writes in an earlier comment ''A better gauge, and one the papers do give most times, is the percentage positive. This was above 1% a while ago, but has now dropped back down to below 1%''. This figure, along with the number of patients in being treated for Covid in hospitals gives a more accurate snapshot of the situation.

However, I believe the real percentage positive number is much higher as there is no accounting for the behaviour of those who have been in contact with a person who has tested positive to ensure they follow the proper reporting and isolation procedures.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I read on line yesterday that the State hospitals are trying to get private hospitals to take some of their ICU patients who are not suffering from Covid.This is in order to free up beds in the ICU at state hospitals. But private hospitals are refusing, saying that they are concerned that such patients may be suffering from hospital acquired infections, thus putting these private hospitals own patients at risk.

From the figures that are published each day by 'In Cyprus', of the 225 patients currently suffering from covid in state hospitals, around 25% are seriously ill and in need of ICU care.
As state hospitals are near full, it seems to make little sense to relax further the present measures.
Though the Govt plans to open up the number of people allowed to meet outside to 250 from next month for weddings.
Dee
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

At this rate of new infections, Cyprus seems unlikely to be 'green listed' by many or indeed any countries.The problem for the Govt is that the countries elections are due at the end of May If the number of cases here continues to rise, this is likely to reduce the number of tourists. Neither will Cyprus medical system be able to cope with any extra cases of covid should tourists test positive.
So what to do? At present the Govt is trying to proceed as normally and to allow more relaxation of the health measures. But no doubt they must also be keeping an eye on the critical situation in the Public Hospitals.
Will their gamble to continue to restart the economy here work? Or will they be forced into another lockdown?
Time will tell.
Dee
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:31 am
Businessmen do not 'move about and contact each other more and more'...where on earth did you get that from? There are devices available now called telephones, and even mobile telephones for the super rich. And amazing life-enhancing boxes called computers, which enable the instant transmission of emails, which are a written form of communication. Using these new-fangled devices removes 99% of the need for businessmen to bump into and cough all over each other. Thereby avoiding the spread of Covid-19.

Did you really say you were a scientist in a former life :shock:
Yes! and a goodly percentage of a scientist's time is spent on conferences and 1 on one discussions. Politicians likewise, with knobs on!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

HIC,
Why do you seek to ridicule anyone who disagrees with you? I am sure that you are intelligent enough to know that the number of cases are increasing day by day.
What annoys me is that there are people who think like you who may be abusing the health protocols day after day. Which doesn't help in a situation like Cyprus is in currently.

Dee
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Define businessman or indeed businesswomen I guess. Certainly my neighbour who works for Keo/Carlsberg and drives a car around the various bars, restaurants, kiosks, small stores etc calls himself a businessman but imagine if by chance he as a young guy picked up the virus at one of the many parties he goes to before doing his 10-15 calls a day . Likewise the people stacking the brands they look after in the supermarkets, business people all , but meeting clients day after day. So to the white van drivers again making 20 odd calls a day. The plumber who went to a baptism where a guest had the virus and the plumber then gave it to many people he did work for at their homes that week in the village near ours, Cyprus business is still very much person to person . There is very little central buying even in the large supermarkets. they use technology to help them make appointments, advice clients if their running late etc but the actual business is still face to face , hence some of the issues at the moment . Apart from the government and the civil service I don’t know a single Cypriot who is working from home !
Mark

Post by Mark »

Yes cases are up, and in danger of getting out of control.

Opening of Malls etc was a mistake.

Further restrictions due to misplaced politics, ie forthcoming elections will only lead to restrictions later.

Politics have replaced what was a sensible strategy.

We will all pay for this in the months to come.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, you're right Mark, politics is probably exerting a negative influence now on the way that the virus is being managed. Since the deputies voted against a suggestion that the elections be postponed because of the pandemic.

And now some people are clamouring to have the health restrictions relaxed over the Greek Easter. Heaven help us if they are.

Dee
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

On my daily walks I notice groups of young men who walk around without a face mask on. I thought we all still had to wear a face mask outside?
All things are possible
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, I think so. But I've noticed plenty of people who don't. Men particularly seem to hang around in groups without wearing masks.

Dee
Mark

Post by Mark »

This virus is now out of control in Cyprus, and getting worse, cases rising, hospital beds now overwhelmed, and our government talking about relaxing some restrictions over Easter!!!

Get up and smell the roses, drastic action is needed NOW. Otherwise a full post election lockdown will become a necessity, but not before as votes are at risk.

Cyprus at one time was well ahead of most other countries, now it is nearly third world.