UK State Pension Increase.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Firefly

UK State Pension Increase.

Post by Firefly »

I have read that the increase in UK State Pension in 2021 will be 2.5 %.

I have received roughly half that, can anyone else confirm the percentage rise. I have telephoned the DWP office, but couldn't get through to speak to anyone, delay due to Covid I expect, (that's what they all say).

Thanks

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
trevnhil

Re: UK State Pension Increase.

Post by trevnhil »

Here is confirmation " Inflation for last October came in at just 0.5%, while average earnings in the three months to July actually dropped by 1%.
That is why the 2.5% ‘lock’ has come into play, meaning that is how much the State Pension increased by from April 2021. "

This is from https://www.lovemoney.com/news/61140/ho ... n-pay-rise
Trev..
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

I suspect the actual amount would rely on which State Pension you receive. Either the old Pension or the New State Pension.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Just checked with friends in UK:
If the pension started before April 2016 the increase applies to the basic pension.
After April 2016 the increase applies to the whole pension.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Firefly

1. Have you received a letter from DWP this year stating your new payment with effect from April?

2. Just checking records and the April payment has always been different to that of March or May because some days are paid at the old rate and some at the new rate.

3. DWP staff, Overseas Healthcare Team staff etc are, in most cases, working from home, due to Covid restrictions in the UK.

4. You can send a written enquiry on this site using the Enquiry Form but it may take 10-15 days for a response:
https://www.gov.uk/international-pension-centre
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Thank you all for your replies.

I have received a letter from the DWP, and comparing the new figures against 20-21 figures, my increase is roughly 1.75% not 2.5%

That said, I inherited part of my late husband's state pension, is his part not included in the increase I wonder ?

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Best to phone the International Pension Centre: +44 191 218 7777 as they can give you a breakdown of the figures and are available Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 3.30pm (UK times). Don't be put off by recorded messages - you will eventually be connected with a helpful human being.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Galexinda

Yes I will, and thank you.

Jackie
Mike1940

Post by Mike1940 »

For those who are concerned the pension will be paid in full from May. This month it is paid in two parts. Upto the end of this financial year at the old rate and from the start of the new financial year the new rate. so people may assume they have not got the right amount, but be patient until the next payment.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I have done my calculation based on 2.5% of the amount I received every month 20-21, against the figure of increase supplied by DWP, they do not agree. The letter from DWP does not give a percentage figure, just a cash amount increase.

Am I missing something, and has anyone else worked out 2.5% of last years payment ?

Jackie
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I have found this article which may help until you have spoken to the Pension Service.
It appears that only part of your annual state pension will get the increase at 2.5%.

However, ''The additional state pension isn’t linked to the triple lock guarantee and instead increases according to CPI inflation each year''.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/10/st ... guarantee/ - Which?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Never simple is it, I'm on to the DWP as I write.

I have been on hold for the last twenty minutes, I will post later what the result is, if I ever get one.

Jackie
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

My guess is that the part of your pensions that you get from your late husbands account has not increased at all.. So IF that part has no increase at all, it will bring the overall percentage down.
Trev..
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Trevor

I think that you may well be correct.

I waited thirty two minutes to be connected to DWP this morning. Gave all my personal details as requested, and I was then informed that the lady I was speaking to couldn't answer my query. I asked to be transferred to someone who could, and she told me that I could not speak to anyone else, as 'they were very busy' ! She said that they would ring me in three to five working days, I'm not holding my breath.

Quite frankly I'm disgusted that a simple question cannot be answered, after waiting so long to be connected.

Jackie