International drivers permit post Brexit

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
graham43

International drivers permit post Brexit

Post by graham43 »

I would be really grateful for any up to date advice regarding the need to have an international drivers permit (idp) in order for visitors from the UK to drive in the Republic of Cyprus post Brexit. My wife and I have a property in Cyprus which we visit several times each year in ‘normal ‘ times. We also have meu1. I’ve looked on line and found conflicting advice. One uk gov website states that it is not essential for visits of up to 30 days providing we have valid uk driving licenses but goes on to say that drivers might feel ‘more confident’ to have an idp anyway. Other online websites stipulate that having an idp for driving in Cyprus is now essential. Clearly this was correct when there was the possibility of a ‘no deal Brexit’ but then a deal ‘of sorts’ was reached with the EU.

Many thanks for help with this- Graham
Diocletian

Re: International drivers permit post Brexit

Post by Diocletian »

Being of a certain nature. We tend to carry both Licence types, just in case.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Given that it only costs about 5 quid I would just get one, that way you are covered whatever the situation is.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I tend to agree with Dominic.
I remember reading something about the driving license a few months ago. I think that I read that visitors to Cyprus need to get an IDP if they want to drive on their English driving license while here. Alternatively, as you have an MEU 1, you could apply for a Cypriot license, but you may have to surrender your English license. Alternatively you could contact the British High Commission in Nicosia and take their advice.

Dee
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

From the BBC ( so it must be true ) . Can I use my UK licence in the E.U. ?
“Yes. From 1 January, most UK drivers will still be able to use their normal driving licence to drive in EU countries.
There are some exceptions and what is called an International Driving Permit (IDP) may be needed.
An IDP can be bought at Post Offices for £5.50.
The exceptions are people who only have a paper licence, not a photocard one, as well as those with licences issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man.
The government's advice if you are in one of these groups is to check with the embassy of the country you are planning to drive in to see if you will need an IDP, although it has also published some guidance for specific countries.”

Amazingly there are still 3 million drivers in the UK with paper licences and a diving licence in Gibraltar ? Where on earth would you drive unless you were going to Spain ? I seem to remember the runway dissects the High street . Mind you in those days the local pubs all sold Watneys Red Barrel beer ( if you could call that beer ) ) so it was sometime ago