Driver parked at a place for people with disabilities and objected to the fine

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Driver parked at a place for people with disabilities and objected to the fine

Post by Paphos Life »

He then decided that the fine amounting to 500 euros was too high so he appealed the decision of the first-instance court. The Supreme Court decided that the strict verdict was justified to punish the man’s unacceptable behavior and also to send the message to every possible violator of the legislation about the need to respect the parking place of people with disabilities.

Read the article and chat about it below...
WHL

Re: Driver parked at a place for people with disabilities and objected to the fine

Post by WHL »

Well done the court for up holding the fine. I bet thats the last time they ever park in the wrong place.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Driver parked at a place for people with disabilities and objected to the fine

Post by Dominic »

Yes I can think of better ways to blow 500 euros.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
lotus

Post by lotus »

Although I totally agree about the guys fine and think it should be more don't some of you think that in some places here in Cyprus but more in UK there are too many disabled parking bays,times we have particularly in Uk have struggled to park and it's annoying when there are so many empty disabled bays
Pinleyb93

Post by Pinleyb93 »

Outside Ta Bania there were TWO disabled parking spots which have just been freshly painted. Two days later one was re painted with a police parking sign. Now why didn't the police take one of the normal parking spots? It would have been nearer to their little hut so less far to walk.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Here in the UK disabled spaces can be scarce.

I needed to park in one of the town's car park, hopefully in a bay for the disabled, near to a charity shop where I worked before lockdown. Out of 130 spaces, we have 5 disabled bays. Empty spaces are usually impossible to find, when I complained to the powers that be, I was told that I could park for free for three hours in any bay. I wasn't interested in free parking, just that I needed enough room to fully open my car door to get in and out, without bashing the car next to me. No logic applied at all.

What I do not understand is why mother and baby parking spaces are usually nearest to a supermarket door. Young women/men with a baby or toddler can walk much further and faster than I.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
lotus

Post by lotus »

We are based in Worcester and Cornwall when we go back usually for the Summer and many of the big supermarkets and other shops in both these areas have a huge amount of disabled parking bays mostly empty,I noticed the other day Super home centers car park has a large amount of disabled parking now,I don't have a problem with people with genuine needs but some of them take the Mickey using their blue badge to park,yes Jackie I agree with you re mother and baby parking spaces
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

As a blue badge parker, I admit that I can usually find an adequate parking slot in the blue zone. Sometimes I parked outside the blue zone and have been told off for doing so! On the whole that is a good system and drivers are beginning to observe the regulations.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Good, glad he was fined but it should have been even higher! It really annoys me when non badge holders take the disabled spaces. I'm grateful that I don't need one.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

It makes me feel angry when I see someone young and apparently fit park in a disabled bay close to the front door of the supermarket. Usually a man, but it's useless to say anything to them, all you get is a glare and a mouthful. I wish that the man employed by Paphos Council to fine overstayers at parking places, would turn his attention to checking disabled spaces are being used correctly. Have seen this abuse of disabled spaces at both Pap's and Lidl on occasion.
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Firefly wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:11 pm Here in the UK disabled spaces can be scarce.

I needed to park in one of the town's car park, hopefully in a bay for the disabled, near to a charity shop where I worked before lockdown. Out of 130 spaces, we have 5 disabled bays. Empty spaces are usually impossible to find, when I complained to the powers that be, I was told that I could park for free for three hours in any bay. I wasn't interested in free parking, just that I needed enough room to fully open my car door to get in and out, without bashing the car next to me. No logic applied at all.

What I do not understand is why mother and baby parking spaces are usually nearest to a supermarket door. Young women/men with a baby or toddler can walk much further and faster than I.

Jackie
In my experience there was no difference between the disabled slots and mother and baby slots. They both got equal billing. Obviously this may vary around the country but in my neck of the woods it wasn't an issue.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

In Cheltenham there seem to be plenty of parking spaces at supermarkets for both disabled and mums and toddlers. Often more of both are empty when the rest of us are trying to find a vacant space elsewhere.
But Paphos has evolved from having few of these facilities, to at least trying to provide for disabled people with a few more space in car parks. Haven't noticed much in the way of mum and toddler spaces though.
For a long time Cypriots didn't seem to bring disabled family out with them, or babies in prams. Perhaps due to the habit of extended family living close by each other. There are people around to look after them at home.
Dee