Tourists as of today 4th April 2021

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
dimsum

Tourists as of today 4th April 2021

Post by dimsum »

Protocol for going out as we know is SMS, face masks and curfew. This is FACT the Annabel hotel Paphos is very busy with tourists and one found out from a reliable source that they are not following the protocol, i.e no SMS, curfew as a tourist it is not required even though in the press it states it must be used. Having spoken to a manager at hotel he confirmed hotel was busy and tourists were staying in hotel as lots to do. Wrong, stayed there many times, he also stated he was at a loss as what to do as hoteliers have struggled so much and yes I agree, BUT if we have to abide by the rules so do the Tourists, there cannot be one rule for them and us that live here. We have done so well in Paphos re the numbers and believe the cases will rise again so where does that leave us!!!!! lockdown again.
jagwheels

Re: Tourists as of today 4th April 2021

Post by jagwheels »

Perhaps off topic but I remember many years ago (I hear big yawns) when parts of Cyprus were experiencing severe water shortages. Holiday already booked so no option but to go. I am sure many residents suffered as a result but Hotels had plenty of water to shower etc so that industry did a brilliant job to keep tourists happy. I cannot answer the question Lloyd raised about SMS so back to that
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

How do you know they are not obeying curfew? For a start, where would they go?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Agree the rules must apply to residents and tourists.

Also noticed one Paphos hotel is promoting Easter breaks (https://www.stgeorge-hotel.com/special- ... ackages205) so maybe residents will soon be able to have a staycation?
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Having originally being a big fan of the SMS system, I now think it’s run it’s course and is adding little value, it must reduce contact a little but nothing like the impact it had last year, and certainly it’s not being policed with anything like the thoroughness it was March - May last year. Having a two tier system for residents and tourists is a risky approach politically, but you can’t be a serious tourist destination if you say “come to Cyprus, we’re open and ready for you” and then tell people they can only leave a hotel twice a cat, have to get permission to do so ans have to be in by 11pm. That’s not a holiday “experience” I would want.

Incidentally, in the recently updated Destination Protocols guide issued by the PIO which I assume is aimed at tourists and tour operators, there is zero mention of SMS or curfew and a definitive statement that masks are not required by the pool, at the beach, whilst exercising or whilst eating or drinking, see Q7 in the attached link from PIO.

https://www.pio.gov.cy/coronavirus/uplo ... prusΕΝ.pdf

Ian
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

I think the government requires to review it’s policies in respect of the SMS system if the gates to the island is “open for business” otherwise it makes a total mockery of the sms system
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

You need a Cyprus SIM card to be able to SMS 8998 and so it’s rather a mute point for the majority of tourists . I’ve noticed the number of tests conducted at the airports has jump up as have the number of positives though I’m intrigued where they are all coming from clutching their clear test certificates and then testing positive.
I would agree the SMS system is no longer achieving anything worthwhile and now the “ experts” at the University of Nicosia have announced that they can’t understand the sudden surge in numbers which must fairly obvious even to a layman we are clearly now in election mode not controlling virus mode and the “experts” have bowed to this .
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

431 new cases today, none from airports. Over 50,000 tested.

If laymen can explain the one-off spike in figures a couple of days ago, please do so.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Regarding the SMS system, I just get on with it. It isn't much of a hardship and hardly intrusive.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

The Annabelle has confirmed cases today and the police are in attendance.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Oops ..........
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

What purpose does it serve? It discourages people from going out unnecessarily.

Would I rather I didn't have to send an SMS? Yes. But it isn't really that much of a hardship, and is absolutely nothing to do with government asserting control over the populace. It's primary purpose is to stop the hospitals getting too crowded.
Ams

Post by Ams »

I think that dropping the sms requirement sends a message that the crisis is over, whereas it far from is. Having it in place works as a reminder that we still need to be careful and be a bit more selective about what we choose to do.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

On FB I have often said I don't mind having to have permission to go out as it does make people think twice as to whether the outing is necessary, but there should just a record of the time I leave - no need for all these different categories which are just for the number crunchers especially as many people are doing 2 or more items on the list when they are out rather than the requested option.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I agree with Galexinda. It would be better to get permission just to go out for the three hours and no need to give a reason as the where or why.
All things are possible
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I wonder what the Govt plan is for the Greek Easter which is coming up at the end of this month? Will they still keep the SMS system? I suspect whatever the minister decides many people will continue doing their own thing...

Dee
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

HIC
News in the UK papers tonight is that the government proposes handing out free rapid testing testing kits to everyone, delivered F.O.C. to the house, so that adults can test themselves twice a week. Now that is a positive and sensible way to help prevent the spread of the virus and kudos to the UK government for coming up with the plan.
Personally I would be more likely to do the test by popping out for a 10 minute drive and have it done for me! It’s just so easy here (agree a slightly longer drive for those in the outer villages). I don’t think I would stick it far enough up my nose if I was doing it myself!

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way