Post-Brexit British nationals in Cyprus to also be able to vote in municipal elections

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Post-Brexit British nationals in Cyprus to also be able to vote in municipal elections

Post by memory man »

Authorities are working on ways to pave the way for UK citizens living in Cyprus to also be able to cast a vote in municipal elections just like other European nationals.

If you are an EU national living in another bloc member state, you have the right to vote and stand as a candidate in municipal elections in that country.

But after Brexit, UK nationals have lost that right and this is part of a package of demands requested by British authorities in a bid to secure equal treatment for all their overseas citizens. British nationals in Cyprus today amount to some 5,000.

Specifically, an official request by the United Kingdom through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Interior to the respective Ministries of the Republic of Cyprus was submitted during recent visits of the two ministers to Cyprus.

The issue is under consideration by both ministries as part of bilateral agreements with Nicosia’s position being that the principle of reciprocity should prevail.

That is, what will ultimately apply with British nationals in Cyprus should be the same as that with Cypriots living in the UK.

Municipal elections in Cyprus take place every five years and the last one was back in 2016.

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/post-br ... elections/
chatsworth

Re: Post-Brexit British nationals in Cyprus to also be able to vote in municipal elections

Post by chatsworth »

I would have thought UK nationals living in Cyprus to be nearer 25,000 at the moment.
Lofos-Jan

Re: Post-Brexit British nationals in Cyprus to also be able to vote in municipal elections

Post by Lofos-Jan »

I am sure that should say 50,000.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

5,000 surely thats way off the mark.Where did that figure originate from i wonder :?
WHL

Post by WHL »

24,000 figure is perhaps the most reliable, as it comes from the 2011 official Cyprus census which had officials count those living in the Republic one by one.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I think that low figure for the British permanent residents must be way off the mark. Wonder if anyone has counted the number of MEU 3 and1’s that have been issued?
Dee
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I found this article dated August 2020 which mentions a few figures:

''So far approximately 38,000 British nationals have registered in Cyprus ....an estimated 15,000 to 20,000 British expats in Cyprus have still not registered with authorities, according to the latest figures from the British High Commission in Nicosia'.
https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/08/30/thou ... of-brexit/

Not simply a case of counting MEU1/MEU3 registrations up to 31 December 2020 because many people who own holiday homes in Cyprus also have the MEU1 so it would not be a true total of actual residents in Cyprus.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Short of having another Govt led census, it will,probably be difficult to find the true number here. Those who didn't come forward last year probably had their own reasons. Some may not have or been able to get the documents needed to register. They will be reluctant to be counted now.

Dee
holitec

Post by holitec »

I am sure there is a similar problem in the UK with EU nationals not being registered. I am certain there are UK nationals that have been living here below the radar for some time, no tax, SI etc for years.

One thing that will come out in time is just how many, just imagine being stopped at a normal Police check for insurance/MOT/road tax (or even a covid text/form A/B), and not having a residence document - it will happen for UK nationals just the same as non-eu. I would imagine that things like car insurance will require a MEUx/UKWx and Cyprus driving license in order to renew after June.

I actually think it may be a positive step, but I am sure I will get some flack!

Regards

Digby
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Definitely a positive step.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Varky

Post by Varky »

I thought we could already vote in Municipality elections and we could stand as a councillor, but not as mukhtar/mayor. I remember voting 5 years ago.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Varky wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:13 am I thought we could already vote in Municipality elections and we could stand as a councillor, but not as mukhtar/mayor. I remember voting 5 years ago.
That was when the UK was in the EU, only EU citizens can have that option now, unless there is a new agreement between the Cyprus/UK.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I read an account in an on line article, yes, its true that while the UK were EU members we could vote in municipal elections. I was one of those who registered to vote.

But I read that now the UK is in negotiations for British legal residents in Cyprus, with the Cypriot Govt to continue to allow this. Because the Cypriot nationals resident in the UK are allowed to continue voting in elections held there.....

Dee
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I remember voting about 14 years ago, having been told that as I had registered to vote I would incur a fine if I didn't.
Just outside the school where the voting was taking place I was approached by a number of men saying vote for me and telling me which box to tick.
As with many other Cypriot events it was very amicable and I was made to feel I was a member of the community.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Both my wife and myself have voted in recent years in the village where we live. In fact we each have a red voting booklet, but I have not got it to hand to read what it says about eligibility
Trev..
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Like Trev we have the RED book and voted in the elections a few years back.
All things are possible
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Ditto for me too.