Cyprus marks 66 years of independence from British colonial rule

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Cyprus marks 66 years of independence from British colonial rule

Post by Paphos Life »

Cyprus on Thursday marks the 66th anniversary of the Eoka struggle for independence from British colonial rule which was launched on April 1, 1955.President Nicos Anastasiades will attend a church service in Nicosia in the morning at the Ayios Ioannis cathedral at the Archbishopric....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Diocletian

Re: Cyprus marks 66 years of independence from British colonial rule

Post by Diocletian »

It's 66 years from the start of the EOKA campaign, not 66 years since Independence. That will be 61 this year.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, the British Colonial Govt handed over a complete island in 1960.
Celebrating EOKA sounds good. But, unfortunately the net result of the EOKA and later EOKA B, guerrilla campaign led to much bloodshed and finally to a divided island.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Sadly true. As an aside, when the little Chapel in Neo Chorio was restored last year. A little square and garden was constructed. Before the concrete on the steps could dry, someone had written EOKA on the bottom step.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:29 pm Yes, the British Colonial Govt handed over a complete island in 1960.
Celebrating EOKA sounds good. But, unfortunately the net result of the EOKA and later EOKA B, guerrilla campaign led to much bloodshed and finally to a divided island.
British colonial rule has Blood on its hands over its divide and rule policy, not only here but its disgraceful colonial rule in India and many other parts of the world, coming back to Cyprus , please don't even go down that road re the British rule, no one comes out of that dark period without blood on their hands, that goes for all five parties involved.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

My reply was limited to the period when EOKA was active. Have no wish to get into an argument as we have differing views.

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Divide and conquer, that was always the British way. Stirring up a fire then leaving before the blaze fully starts doesn't exonerate you.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

In this case does your view stand up? Or were you thinking about the whole period of Colonial Government? Did the British try to divide and conquer in Cyprus? They may have gone about some things, such as establishing separate schools for Greek and Turkish children, instead of trying to integrate them in one school, but why do you think the British Govt tried to stoke a fire?
What was there to gain from that?
Surely it was the political efforts of the Cypriots themselves, led by President Makarios and Grivas who stoked fires, Greek vs Turk?

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:36 pm My reply was limited to the period when EOKA was active. Have no wish to get into an argument as we have differing views.

Dee
If you don't want to get into arguments, I would respectfully suggest you don't throw grenades into threads,,
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:35 pm In this case does your view stand up? Or were you thinking about the whole period of Colonial Government? Did the British try to divide and conquer in Cyprus? They may have gone about some things, such as establishing separate schools for Greek and Turkish children, instead of trying to integrate them in one school, but why do you think the British Govt tried to stoke a fire?
Surely it was the political efforts of the Cypriots themselves, led by President Makarios and Grivas who stoked fires, Greek vs Turk?

Dee
Yes Makarios/ Grivas indeed stoked fires, as did the British going over to Turkey and getting the Turks involved, not to mention torture etc,,, as did Denktash and his TMT terror group, who planted bombs to blow up his own people to get a reaction, all documented I even heard Denktash admit to this in an interview, so please spare us your one sided lectures, all party's have blood on their hands, the sooner everyone admits to this the sooner Cypriots can move on
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I wasn't aware that the British went to Turkey to stoke trouble. More likely it was a question of the guarantor powers, of which Turkey is and was one, as was Greece and the UK trying to get together to discuss how to de fuse the conflict in Cyprus.

As you know it takes 2 to tango and Turkey had an interest in also trying to de fuse the situation and to protect Turkish Cypriot people in Cyprus.
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:14 pm I wasn't aware that the British went to Turkey to stoke trouble. More likely it was a question of the guarantor powers, of which Turkey is and was one, as was Greece and the UK trying to get together to discuss how to de fuse the conflict in Cyprus.

As you know it takes 2 to tango and Turkey had an interest in also trying to de fuse the situation and to protect Turkish Cypriot people in Cyprus.
Dee
I suggest you read up more on Cyprus History before posting, it had nothing to do with guarantor powers, this was in 1955...
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Sorry didn't realize that you were talking about 1955. In 1955 the British colonial govt were running the whole island, what better reason for them to want to discuss what was going on with inter communal acts of violence between Greek and Turkish cypriots. From the accounts of the history of 1955-59, both The British and Turkish Govts must have been keen to discuss the political and security issues as they affected the Turkish Cypriot minority. While the Greek Cypriots, the majority of the population, were led by Makarios who had a different agenda.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:27 pm Sorry didn't realize that you were talking about 1955. In 1955 the British colonial govt were running the whole island, what better reason for them to want to discuss what was going on with inter communal acts of violence between Greek and Turkish cypriots. From the accounts of the history of 1955-59, both The British and Turkish Govts must have been keen to discuss the political and security issues as they affected the Turkish Cypriot minority. While the Greek Cypriots, the majority of the population, were led by Makarios who had a different agenda.

Dee
Sorry but you really are clueless when it comes to Cyprus History, instead of making it up as you go along, read up on it, plenty of unbiased facts out there.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Actually, I have read quite a lot about the history of Cyprus.
One thing which I have found that depending on who wrote the account of his experience of life in Cyprus over the period, 1959-74, that one can read, a different picture of actual events which happened paint a different picture. No side is innocent, lets face it.
Some barbaric acts occurred on both sides. In a guerilla war it is difficult to fight it cleanly.
But I have read accounts written by Greek Cypriots, both in and outside of EOKA, other accounts written by German and English people who were here at the time. I have also heard first hand from Some Turkish Cypriots who I have had chance meetings with, of what they say actually happened.
So, I am not ill informed, its just that I don't necessarily agree with your version of the awful history of the troubles.
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The British wanted to divide and rule because of politics. If you don't want the people to attack you (the government) you ensure that they devote their energies to attacking each other.

You can see similar examples going on today, even in things like benefit fraud. The Government in the UK get people worked up about the comparatively minor problem of benefit fraud so that they don't pull the Government to task over fraudulent activities closer to the Government's home.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:04 am Actually, I have read quite a lot about the history of Cyprus.
One thing which I have found that depending on who wrote the account of his experience of life in Cyprus over the period, 1959-74, that one can read, a different picture of actual events which happened paint a different picture. No side is innocent, lets face it.
Some barbaric acts occurred on both sides. In a guerilla war it is difficult to fight it cleanly.
But I have read accounts written by Greek Cypriots, both in and outside of EOKA, other accounts written by German and English people who were here at the time. I have also heard first hand from Some Turkish Cypriots who I have had chance meetings with, of what they say actually happened.
So, I am not ill informed, its just that I don't necessarily agree with your version of the awful history of the troubles.
Dee
There you go spinning things again, there were not '' both party's' in this conflict as you say, there were Five party's in this conflict, Great Britain, Greece, Turkey, Greek Cypriots , Turkish Cypriots, if you don't even know that basic fact, then you are indeed uneducated about Cyprus history, all five parties carried out terrible crimes, from torture to killing innocent people, to bombing their own people,....so no matter how you try and spin it, ALL party's to this black period have Blood on their hands,
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

There you go again, WHL, venting your spleen. I was talking about accounts of what happened over the whole period of the troubles in Cyprus. I am also well aware of the three countries who were also involved.
I am also trying to be diplomatic in my replies to you which is also difficult. But I am not descending to your base level of trading unjust accusations.

Dee
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:35 pm In this case does your view stand up? Or were you thinking about the whole period of Colonial Government? Did the British try to divide and conquer in Cyprus? They may have gone about some things, such as establishing separate schools for Greek and Turkish children, instead of trying to integrate them in one school, but why do you think the British Govt tried to stoke a fire?

Dee
The UK had t's experience in Ireland to use... and even now, Ireland is a split nation due to the UK's policy. The split schools was probably from the religious divides it created in Ireland.
WHL

Post by WHL »

The policy of 'divide and rule' is seen as a mechanism used throughout history to maintain imperial rule. It identifies pre-existing ethno-religious divisions in society and then manipulates them in order to prevent subject peoples' unified challenge to rule by outsiders

In 1857, the 'Great Mutiny' broke out in which the Hindus and Muslims jointly fought against the British. This shocked the British government so much that after suppressing the Mutiny, they decided to start the policy of divide and rule (see online “History in the Service of Imperialism

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/z ... revision/1