'Pay as you throw' garbage collection scheme

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
galexinda

'Pay as you throw' garbage collection scheme

Post by galexinda »

Islandwide rollout of 'pay as you throw' programme in 2022
The programme, already being implemented in Aglantzia, will see garbage being disposed solely via prepaid bags as well as the abolition of municipal garbage collection fees...

https://knews.kathimerini.com.cy/en/new ... me-in-2022
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: 'Pay as you throw' garbage collection scheme

Post by Devil »

Ha! Ha! Ha! Rather than pay, it will just be easier to dump everything along the roadside or in the nearest forest
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Devil wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:03 pm Ha! Ha! Ha! Rather than pay, it will just be easier to dump everything along the roadside or in the nearest forest
Has been the practice for many years, even though there are free Green Dot centres.
Far easier to just throw it on the roadside - but in another neighbourhood!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Or throw the waste furniture and other unwanted junk down the nearest ravine...which has also been the practice for years by some hill villages. Also often nearer than the nearest Govt re cycling point.

Dee
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I agree 100% with you mouse. It's so disheartening to see people lower the car window and just toss out whatever rubbish they have...even in town sometimes, but even worse when it happens in pristine countryside. Dropping cigarette stubs not properly extinguished in summer when everywhere is tinder dry is even worse.

Do they ever have a concerted anti littering campaign shown on local TV channels?

Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I thing the plastic bags available at the checkout are 6 cents each ..
Trev..
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Paphos Mayor Phedon Phedonos, said that Cyprus would have to rethink its strategy, as introducing a ‘pay as you throw’ system with prepaid bags will not go down well with Cypriots.

“Prepaid bags for disposing garbage cost some 2 euros a piece, while normal garbage bags cost 3 cents. With the current collection system and infrastructure at our disposal, we are not in a position to monitor who throws what in garbage bins,” said Phedonos.

He argued that municipal workers will have a hard time when it comes to collecting garbage from a block of flats with a common bin. Phedonos said that garbage collectors will not have the time to separate bags thrown in the bin, nor can they know who threw a non-prepaid bag.

“What will they do with that bag? Not collect it and leave it there? Investigate to see who threw it?” he wondered.

https://www.financialmirror.com/2021/04 ... you-throw/
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I can certainly see the Mayors point of view. And I too would have to agree with him, I cannot see it working 100% or anywhere near that.
Trev..
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Kili01 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:46 pm Or throw the waste furniture and other unwanted junk down the nearest ravine...which has also been the practice for years by some hill villages. Also often nearer than the nearest Govt re cycling point.

Dee
Yes Dee, and it will only get worse. :(
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

It can be done. I know because it works well in Switzerland. In reality, I doubt very much whether it would work here, in Cyprus; the mindset is totally different. To make things worse, a recent article on recycling has shown that the cost of doing this is exorbitant. As soon as Joe Bloggs and his Mrs find that the cost of putting out a rubbish bag is high, simple, they won't do it.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I found it worked better in our area when there were the designated colour bins for the different types of garbage.

Not helped by the fact that the number of green bins for general household rubbish have been reduced in recent years from seven to one with that one bin serving two large apartment blocks and numerous small residences besides the vehicles that dump their rubbish (of all types) in and around it.