Cyprus and Greece to follow French example

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
sunspot

Re: Cyprus and Greece to follow French example

Post by sunspot »

It takes a mature, wise person to write a post like that. I don't mean specifically re the Brexit issue. I mean the ability to change one's mind and give the reasons. If only more of us (and those who govern us) could do that. If Angela Merkel can, so can we all. Just wanted to make that point in advance of more Brexit debate on this thread. Thank you, HIC.
Mighty Sprite

Post by Mighty Sprite »

Sorry, but has somebody hacked HIC's account?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

If I close my eyes I can hear the Theme from Tales of the Unexpected playing.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

I can understand your thinking HIC, especially on a day like today, Im tending to agree with your thinking, but after sleeping on it I might have a differant opinion tomorrow.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Dominic- being OLD, I keep hearing “Jackanory, Jackanory”, but same idea!
Really odd, but yesterday, I had an almost irresistible impulse to do a sort of reverse of Lloyd’s April 1 prank, and fake an abject retraction of all my dearly held Brexit beliefs- honestly!...... You beat me to it LLoyd!
Jon
alewfin1

Post by alewfin1 »

'but the thought of having to understand and answer questions from the Cyprus Highway Code in Greek would be impossible for most, self-included,

Surely this would apply to everyone who are permanent residents of Cyprus who are not native Greek speakers and therefore to link it to Brexit would be wrong.

Also I believe that English is classed as an official language of Cyprus.
holitec

Post by holitec »

The good news is that the Cyprus Theory Test and Driving test may be carried out in either English or Greek, in fact if you look at the road sign leaflet given to students it is in both languages - so if we do have to retake our tests, maybe not so bad. I am sure most of us with a refresher course would be fine. It also brings home the importance of changing to a local license before the 30th June deadline.

I will admit to have not changed mine yet, I have to get an eye test before my doctor will sign off the certificate. Better do it next week, however I would not mind actually taking a re-test if I had to.

Digby
WHL

Post by WHL »

alewfin1 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:24 am 'but the thought of having to understand and answer questions from the Cyprus Highway Code in Greek would be impossible for most, self-included,

Surely this would apply to everyone who are permanent residents of Cyprus who are not native Greek speakers and therefore to link it to Brexit would be wrong.

Greek and Turkish are the two official languages of Cyprus.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

holitec wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:28 am The good news is that the Cyprus Theory Test and Driving test may be carried out in either English or Greek, in fact if you look at the road sign leaflet given to students it is in both languages - so if we do have to retake our tests, maybe not so bad. I am sure most of us with a refresher course would be fine. It also brings home the importance of changing to a local license before the 30th June deadline.

I will admit to have not changed mine yet, I have to get an eye test before my doctor will sign off the certificate. Better do it next week, however I would not mind actually taking a re-test if I had to.

Digby
When my Dr. signed the medical form for the driving license she also did the eye test.
All things are possible
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

A low-flying pig with goggles just streaked through the hailstorm [I thought at first it might be the Israeli Airforce on exercises, then realized it was Lloyd in his Fokker!]…
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

Check the date guys..........................
Ams

Post by Ams »

Brilliant!!
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

alewfin1 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:24 am
That, alone, gives it away! :lol: :lol:
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Just because its April 1st does not mean that HIC is Fibbing – He may have been affected by the Vaccine and eventually seen sense – But then again you have more chance of seeing flying Pigs.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Having been to a few Pink Floyd gigs, I have seen a few flying pigs!

As for the article concerned. There is reciprocity in as much as all a French or EU licence holders, just have to visit the Gov.UK site and they will be directed to the DVLA and asked to complete an online form, pay £43 and hey ho the licence is exchanged.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Seriously people, next year on April Fools, when somebody goes to the effort of making an April Fools joke, please keep it to yourself that it is April 1st until midday. I lost count of the amount of spoiler posts I deleted from this thread over the course of the morning.

And a big round of applause to HiC for such a funny post!
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
ast

Post by ast »

Aside from Hic,s April 1st tosh, I for one could not possibly take the CY test, I don't smoke and drive with my arm out of the window, don't have my mobile phone permanently attached to my ear or have the use of a small child to sit on my knee whilst negotiating roundabouts :D :D
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
WHL

Post by WHL »

ast wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:19 pm Aside from Hic,s April 1st tosh, I for one could not possibly take the CY test, I don't smoke and drive with my arm out of the window, don't have my mobile phone permanently attached to my ear or have the use of a small child to sit on my knee whilst negotiating roundabouts :D :D
Theres always one, When in Rome, and all that
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Nice one Lloyd & I also noted the time of posting!! You had us fooled for a while. Bet the anti's on PL thought they had won the argument
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

Ah, well, it's true that I do not read Brexit threads and so do not know the extreme and chronic vehemence of individual opinions on this forum. And there I was, overwhelmingly impressed that a human being had actually changed his mind. I'm going back to bed.