Paphos-Polis Chrysochous road construction to finally start

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Paphos-Polis Chrysochous road construction to finally start

Post by memory man »

More than three decades later the much-publicised Paphos-Polis Chrysochous road project is on its implementation path, Philenews reported on Monday citing head of Paphos Chamber of Commerce and Industry George Mai.

The good news came from Minister of Transport Yiannis Karousos himself, Mai also said.

“The Minister told us on the phone on March 25 that after recent developments with the Tender Review Authority the Department of Public Works of the Ministry has proceeded with the award of the Tender for the design and construction of the Paphos- Polis Chrysochous highway, Section 1 – Phase (A) to the successful bidder,” Mai said.

“The time for concerned parties to submit an objection has also expired and this paves the way the for the project’s implementation kick-start,” he added.

Construction for the two-lane road is to cost €70 million.

Initially, it was meant to be a four-lane highway.

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/paphos- ... lly-start/
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: Paphos-Polis Chrysochous road construction to finally start

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Interesting for me: when it is not Brexit/Covid or trivial topics, there are so far no posts concerning this important project for our Paphos district to start finally....
Maybe members think it is a April fool hoax?

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I shall believe it when I see work commencing. I hope it does commence. But I have lost count of the amount of news articles on this topic.

Incidentally, the Geroskipou Bypass is coming along nicely.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:07 am I shall believe it when I see work commencing. I hope it does commence. But I have lost count of the amount of news articles on this topic.
Well, this time it will happen very soon. Two days ago in Paphos, the head of the governing party DISY, Mr. Averof met the Mayors of Paphos, Mr. Phedonas and Mr. Makariou to discuss the matter.

here a poor Google translation of their statement:" The President of the Democratic Alarm, Averof Neophytou, described Paphos as an "open construction site", while expressing his satisfaction for the Paphos-Polis Chrysochous project that "becomes a practice after decades".
Mr. Neophytou made a walk in the center of Paphos on Sunday, accompanied by the Mayor of the city, Phaedon Phaedon, and visited the place where the projects for urban transport infrastructure are being implemented.

In his statements, he stated that it was in 2001, when, until then Minister of Communications, he gave instructions with a BOT contract (Construction, Operation and Transfer) "to go out for the road Paphos - Polis Chrysochous to complete the national network of highways".
"Although twenty years have passed, this project is becoming a reality," he said, adding that the State owed it to Paphos. He welcomed the fact that the projects being carried out in Paphos are linked to the design of the national highway."

https://pafospress.com/katenthoysiasmen ... -ton-faid/

Max
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

What is the proposed route or is it simply an add-on to the existing B7?
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Termites Dream wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:02 pm
Dominic wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:07 am I shall believe it when I see work commencing. I hope it does commence. But I have lost count of the amount of news articles on this topic.

Incidentally, the Geroskipou Bypass is coming along nicely.
As we have discussed in the past I am not in favour but I do share your scepticism it will start. Having said that I am more concerned they do not finish it, if started . Of course it is also a given that the completion date will be missed. so when the date to complete is issued I will add a year. I lack faith :)
Well the Geoskipou bypass is coming along nicely.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Diocletian wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:16 pm What is the proposed route or is it simply an add-on to the existing B7?
Start here:

https://www.paphoslife.com/blog/polis-motorway-part-1
lotus

Post by lotus »

Thankyou Dominic for taking the time and trouble to show everybody the route,it looks very similar to the plans I managed to get a look at about Fifteen years ago,indeed looking at the preposed route it actually stopped us from having a house built all those years ago
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

What was missing in the report about starting to built the motorway was the bidder. It is a Greek company which got awarded...

https://cyprus-digest.com/the-tender-fo ... s-awarded/

Max