New Pictures! Crystals from the Konia Area.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

New Pictures! Crystals from the Konia Area.

Post by Dominic »

Today we have a special treat. One of our forum regulars is a bit of an expert on the local crystals you can find in the hills around Paphos. He has kindly agreed to share some of his photos. Over to you Max...

After my last post and photos from my crystal collection I got a very good respond and members asked me to show more pictures. As Dominic invited me to do a guest blog article about Cyprus crystals here we are. I did a little ride today to show the location were I found these delicate crystals which are from the Gypsum family, Quartz and Rocky salt crystals.

Read the article, admire the pictures, and chat about it here...
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
aphrodite

Re: Exceptional crystals from Konia area (Paphos)

Post by aphrodite »

Sensational. Thank you Max for the stunning photos and sharing your expertise with us. And thank you Dominic for hosting the blog. All very interesting, I know nothing about crystal - except for the tiny Swarovski crystal animals I have been given over the years and my crystal glassware in a cabinet! :D
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I also want to thank Dominic for hosting my guest blog. Only with large images one can recognize the real beauty of this selenite crystals. Unfortunately I did the mistake to use the same headline of a post earlier on and members think it is the same post. Maybe Dominic could change the headline on General in something different.
Max
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Thank you, much appreciated. Very interesting to see someone's pursuits...

My son, as a teenager, collected 'rocks' as he called them.... Amethysts and the like... that he would buy with pocket money, especially when on holiday in different parts.... Sadly, as he got older, he became a see bit embarrassed by it, as he saw it as 'nerdy' and gave them away/... he now wishes he had kept them for his twin sons!
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Amazing. So beautiful. Thank you!
Louise :)
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

Great pictures, great crystals! Thanks.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:26 am I also want to thank Dominic for hosting my guest blog. Only with large images one can recognize the real beauty of this selenite crystals. Unfortunately I did the mistake to use the same headline of a post earlier on and members think it is the same post. Maybe Dominic could change the headline on General in something different.
Max
This thread is now called "New Pictures! Crystals from the Konia Area".

Thanks once again Max.
PhotoLady

Re: New Pictures! Crystals from the Konia Area.

Post by PhotoLady »

Thank you both of you!

I've shared this to one of my friends who is into this stuff and lots of other things related to geology and archaeology. She recently brought back some ugly looking creatures from Morocco on an organised dig she went on.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Shogun

Post by Shogun »

My wife would love to know if you come across any of these... :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwM1Nh7rerU
What we are
What we have been
What we intend to be
is shown more in the Patience we exhibit than through any other virtue
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Absolutely stunning and beautiful, Max! Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble in creating your blog, and for sharing it with us!

Respect to you! AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Shogun wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:27 pm My wife would love to know if you come across any of these... :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwM1Nh7rerU
No, I did not know that technique but it is amazing how they do it.
Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

A dentist's dream!
Bograt

Post by Bograt »

Thank you Max, for taking the time to share this. Such lovely pictures, and I have learnt more about the wonderful rocks and crystals in Cyprus. I have often wondered what those veins in some rocks are, and now I know. You can guess what I will be looking out for when I'm back in three weeks.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

PaphosAL wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:57 pm Absolutely stunning and beautiful, Max! Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble in creating your blog, and for sharing it with us!

Respect to you! AL :)
Bograt wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:06 pm Thank you Max, for taking the time to share this. Such lovely pictures, and I have learnt more about the wonderful rocks and crystals in Cyprus. I have often wondered what those veins in some rocks are, and now I know. You can guess what I will be looking out for when I'm back in three weeks.
It doesn't matter to me how much time it takes and it is no trouble at all. It is one of my big hobbies. As long as I have the feeling members like this kind of subject and give a positive respond I feel also very happy. OK it is my first guest blog and the upload of photos from my album took some time but with the help from Dominic to modify my text (English is not my first language)and I am more than happy with the result so far.
Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:07 pm A dentist's dream!
Slightly off-topic
if you google one can find more infos producing synthetic quartz:

"Grown or manufactured quartz crystal is also known as hydrothermal, cultured or synthetic quartz. It is created inside an autoclave, a specialized piece of equipment that produces high levels of internal pressure and heat. To grow quartz, the autoclave must produce 21,000 pounds per square inch of internal pressure and temperatures above 200 degrees Celsius.
Crushed silicon dioxide, known as silica, is placed in the autoclave and serves as the source material for the quartz crystals. The process requires water and slices of quartz as well, which are placed in the autoclave as a place for the synthetic crystals to grow. As the autoclave is heated, the temperature increases, and changes begin to occur."

On a higher level:

With temperatures > 1400C you can produce your own monocrystal and if the silica is 98% pure than it is the beginning to manufacture a photovoltaic cell which can produce electricity....
Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

As this one is Dominic's favorite I did a screenshot close up...
Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Nice piece Lloyd. This type Geode is mainly found in India (Poona) One note of caution: the clusters seem to bring out an urge in people to touch the fine fibers and to "test" the minerals softness. Discourage and refrain from this as the crystals are very delicate and once touched, are never the same again. I am quite sure that 20 years ago I found some okenite crystals in the Argaka forest towards Giallia.(but not a geode)
Max
ph06kg1

Post by ph06kg1 »

Hello Max, and thank you for your beautiful crystal images! I live in Paphos Cyprus and i think i have observed these outcrops before, is it near Marathounta Hill Church? I would love to go there and collect some myself! Thanks!
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

These crystals are stunning thank you Max for sharing and educating us ........I personally find it fascinating .....
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

ph06kg1 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:58 am Hello Max, and thank you for your beautiful crystal images! I live in Paphos Cyprus and i think i have observed these outcrops before, is it near Marathounta Hill Church? I would love to go there and collect some myself! Thanks!
No, the place is nowhere near this church, but down the hill near the river bed....

Max