Cyprus Almost in Deep Red

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Kili01

Re: Cyprus Almost in Deep Red

Post by Kili01 »

HIC,
Whatever you say is expressing your point of view.It does not follow that everyone must take your view.
Firefly, I don't think that the UK is the only country which didn't have enough staff to run extra hospitals for Covid cases. Surely, most hospitals have enough staff to run and care for the number of beds in their own hospitals? Where was the Govt expecting to find all the extra doctors and nurses to run these huge temporary hospitals, One wonders?
Dee
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Merchant Banker,
The Uk is fortunate to have obtained the lion's share of available vaccines.
By contrast the EU countries are woefully short of the huge number of vaccines required to vaccinate all their most vulnerable people. So inevitably countries like France, Germany, Italy, Spain all have high rates of Covid in their citizens. Cyprus with its smaller population has been fortunate to get enough vaccine to vaccinate most of its older and more vulnerable citizens and the medical and nursing staff. Thus the number of deaths here has remained low.
But we have a high number of daily cases of the virus here, but mainly among adults in their sixties and younger.

Dee
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:30 pm Merchant Banker,
. Cyprus with its smaller population has been fortunate to get enough vaccine to vaccinate most of its older and more vulnerable citizens and the medical and nursing staff. Thus the number of deaths here has remained low.
But we have a high number of daily cases of the virus here, but mainly among adults in their sixties and younger.

Dee
So why are there still some restrictions in place?
WHL

Post by WHL »

And some moan, about folks not social distancing over here in Lidls?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -bill.html
OldTimer

Post by OldTimer »

The UK was not fortunate in having a large number of vaccines available , it was good forward planning by the Government in putting up the money towards developing and then ordering very large numbers , something the EU was very remiss at and now is trying its usual bully boys tactics mainly to punish the UK for leaving the EU and also to deter other countries that may well decide they have had enough of the failing state of the EU
lotus

Post by lotus »

Just seen pictures of the Bristol riots,UK gets worse,send in the Army with live ammo that's what some of these sods deserve,it's getting more like a third world country every day,
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It is certainly time more drastic steps were taken.. Water cannon and rubber bullets come to mind..
Trev..
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Dee

The staffing issues should have been assessed before building the Nightingale hospitals.

Yes the staff can run their own hospitals, but Covid patients should not have been placed with non Covid patients. Lives have been lost to Covid from contracting the virus in hospital, a place where they should have been safe. Sadly it seems that more and more infections are hospital related, my late husband had three infections whilst in hospital, non of which he had on admission.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

While our totals of cases were around 400 per day for last week. Track and trace and regular testing of people who work in jobs where they come into contact with the general public, and also in the factories and the schools on a weekly basis is the Cy Govt's policy, If this helps to find people who test positive before they infect all they come into contact with, it seems very sensible.
The hospitals are reported as being very full, about 25% seem to require extra care and/or ICU treatment.
I see no reason to criticise what is done here, since there are still a lot of unvaccinated people waiting to be vaccinated.
Dee
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

According to the Cyprus Mail there are currently 217 people in hospital with covid, 51 of which were in a serious or critical condition
Varky

Post by Varky »

HIC,
Pointing out the failures of the UK government is not a suitable answer to poor EU performances. Two wrongs do not make a right.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I tend to source news stories from In Cyprus more than Cyprus Mail these days. Cyprus Mail editorials are beginning to sound like they were written by Nigel Farage.

And say what you like about Boris Johnson, but the UK's handling of the vaccine has been much, much better than the EUs.

And lets face it, that's the thing that really counts.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
living the dream

Post by living the dream »

Pretty much agree with most of what HIC says however the recording of Covid deaths in the UK is I feel skewed. Anyone who dies and was recorded as having Covid within 28 day s of death is automatically classed as dying of Covid this is clearly not the case. My son is a fireman in Derbyshire and has attended various incidents over the last year where a number in particular where road accidents. People who died and had tested positive prior to their death were listed as a Covid death yet my son has clearly stated on numerous occasions that these people died of the injuries sustained in the accident and NOT Covid. Don't get me wrong the death toll has been horrendous that said how many deaths were directly Covid related or related to underlying heath issues that led to death - no one seems to be able to answer this difficult question.
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

And whenever I’ve watched the BBC news they always state deaths within 28 days of a positive covid test but I’ve never heard the newsreader say ‘for any reason’ even though it is written on the graphic they use.
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Profiteering from rapid tests , Cyprus , surely not ?

https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/03/23/coro ... pid-tests/

However if they are done too quickly or without care there is no doubt they are more or less a waste of time and therefore become yet another useless statistic doing nothing to help the fight against the virus as doing so just delays any prognosis .