UKW3 question

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
holitec

UKW3 question

Post by holitec »

Just a question, has anyone applied for a ukw3 residence document yet, I did not apply for a meu3 last year, (I have an MEU1) as I was waiting for the new rules.

Has anyone changed their MEU1/3 for a UKW3 yet? what was the procedure like, any problems?

Looking at the Cyprus Gov website it seems a simple process.

I can prove residence for 15 years, Electric, Cyta bills, Social Insurance and rental contracts etc.

Regards,

Digby
trevnhil

Re: UKW3 question

Post by trevnhil »

I will share this by Nigel Howarth on the Eastern Group forum...

"You may have an MEU 1, 2 or 3, which are known colloquially as "Yellow Slips". These are valid for the rest of your life and will guarantee that you retain your rights in Cyprus as defined under the Withdrawal Agreement (with the UK) and the relevant EU law.

So keep your "Yellow Slip" as it will confirm that you are a resident in Cyprus, allow you to travel through the Cypriot Airport without needing a stamp in your passport, vote in local elections, etc.

A MUKW 1, 2, 3 is the new document being issued to anyone who was resident in Cyprus before the 31st December 2020 but did not apply for and receive a Yellow Slip (MEU 1,2,3) before the end of 2020.

A MUKW 1, 2, 3 will be issued in the form of an ID card with a biometric signature containing personal data, it will be valid for 10 years, after which it can be renewed.

You do NOT need to change a Yellow Slip for an MUKW ID card.

But, if you choose you may VOLUNTARILY exchange your Yellow Slip for the new MUKW ID card for a fee of €30.00. You may wish to do this if you prefer to carry a small card rather than a folded-up copy of your Yellow Slip.

BUT at this stage the British High Commission, the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office and the Cyprus Residency Planning Group are not recommending anyone to exchange their current Yellow Slip for an MUKW, until we are sure of the NEW regulations, currently being discussed between the UK and the EU.

Nigel Howarth..

Post by Mighty Sprite »

I also believe that if you have an MEU1 then you can still change it to an MEU3 after the appropriate period and the correct documents, even if that is after 31 December 2020.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

M.S.
I don't think so. The MEU forms had to be applied for before the 31st of Dec 2020.
Now its March 2021, so as far as I know you will now need to apply for the new MU KW 3 instead.
If you were resident in Cyprus last year hopefully you didn't miss the considerable efforts that the BHC went to to advise all British expats to get their MEU1 or 3 as appropriate, before Brexit on 31st Dec.
Dee
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

trevnhil wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:26 pm I will share this by Nigel Howarth on the Eastern Group forum...

"You may have an MEU 1, 2 or 3, which are known colloquially as "Yellow Slips". These are valid for the rest of your life and will guarantee that you retain your rights in Cyprus as defined under the Withdrawal Agreement (with the UK) and the relevant EU law.

So keep your "Yellow Slip" as it will confirm that you are a resident in Cyprus, allow you to travel through the Cypriot Airport without needing a stamp in your passport, vote in local elections, etc.

A MUKW 1, 2, 3 is the new document being issued to anyone who was resident in Cyprus before the 31st December 2020 but did not apply for and receive a Yellow Slip (MEU 1,2,3) before the end of 2020.

A MUKW 1, 2, 3 will be issued in the form of an ID card with a biometric signature containing personal data, it will be valid for 10 years, after which it can be renewed.

You do NOT need to change a Yellow Slip for an MUKW ID card.
...and until they improve the disgusting excuse for an immigration office in Paphos my MEU1 is exactly how mine will be staying even though I qualify for the MEU3 / MUKW3.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Aquila.. I have to agree with you in what you say.. It is indeed a disgusting place.. I have been just one and that was enough.. If it was like the Citizens centre how much better the visits would be..
Trev..
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Mighty Sprite wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:21 am I also believe that if you have an MEU1 then you can still change it to an MEU3 after the appropriate period and the correct documents, even if that is after 31 December 2020.
How it works for UK nationals:

a. UK nationals and their family members including family members who are non-UK nationals, who have already exercised or will exercise free movement in Cyprus before 1 January 2021 but, until 31 December 2020 will not have completed continuous residence of five years, will be eligible for a temporary residence,

b. Those who will have completed five years of continuous residence in Cyprus before 31 December 2020, will be eligible to acquire permanent residence,

c. Those who will not have completed five years of continuous residence in Cyprus, will be able to remain in Cyprus to build-up five years continuous residence.

Commencement of this five-year period for both cases starts at the moment of exercising free movement rights, which may be at any time before and during the transitional period.

https://brexit.com.cy/assets/img/PDF/Br ... brexit.pdf
Mighty Sprite

Post by Mighty Sprite »

c. Those who will not have completed five years of continuous residence in Cyprus, will be able to remain in Cyprus to build-up five years continuous residence.

Commencement of this five-year period for both cases starts at the moment of exercising free movement rights, which may be at any time before and during the transitional period.
Isn't this what I said?

If you have got an MEU1 then after you have completed five years before or after 31 December 2020 you can apply for MEU3.